Thread: Holster for Sig 229

Holster for Sig 229

I'm new to this OC concept and have yet to do it.

I sometimes CC a Sig 229 in an OWB Ted Blocker holster with a thumb break. From what I've read on here, that holster is probably not sufficient to OC from a retention standpoint. True? I know it is a judgment call, but I'm interested in opinions. The thumb break doesn't release too easily, but I suppose a determined gun grabber would be able to do it.

Second topic -- if my current holster isn't sufficient, what are some recommendations for a retention holster for a Sig 229?
    Last edited by jhfc; 06-26-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Any level 2 or 3 Safariland will do just fine. I use and suggest the 6280 model. Safariland retention holsters are 100% good, all of them. Pick one you like, and you'll be fine.

Any second now people will be coming by to suggest Blackhawk Serpa holsters. I suggest against these generally for the reasons of Tex Grebner and his 1911 (look it up on youtube) though you're safer with a DA pull, but you still have the issues of inferior reliability if any obstructions get into the mechanism, and an obvious release button, and rapid holster wear on your guns finish.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Thanks for the info Michigander. Do you use that holster with a 229?

Also, I see on their website, a distinction between a 229 and 229R. I had no idea there were two variants, nor how to tell which variant I have.
    Last edited by jhfc; 06-27-2013 at 02:53 PM.

I have one for my 220, and one for my G20. Here is the 220.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gunbelt.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	10557  
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by jhfc View Post
    ... I see on their website, a distinction between a 229 and 229R. I had no idea there were two variants, nor how to tell which variant I have.
    Their website isn't very good at showing the difference, you are right. The 229R has the larger accessory rail. I appears it might have the different grips and slide profile, too.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Any level 2 or 3 Safariland will do just fine. I use and suggest the 6280 model. Safariland retention holsters are 100% good, all of them. Pick one you like, and you'll be fine.

Any second now people will be coming by to suggest Blackhawk Serpa holsters. I suggest against these generally for the reasons of Tex Grebner and his 1911 (look it up on youtube) though you're safer with a DA pull, but you still have the issues of inferior reliability if any obstructions get into the mechanism, and an obvious release button, and rapid holster wear on your guns finish.
    I carry a 229 in a Blackhawk Serpa, have been for 3+ years now. Haven't had the issues that some have had. No wear at all from the holster. and the cant angle I have the holster at once I hit the release button and draw my finger falls on the slide, not the trigger. This is more from training with that holster than anything. Plus, I have a Crimson Trace laser grip, and the Blackhawk is molded for that.

Whatever holster you decide to get, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!! I as a Navy firearms instructor CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH! Muscle memory can only be built through training.

As I said, I haven't had issues with Blackhawk, and Safariland, Uncle Mike and others all make great holsters. My advice is try them out in the store. If money isn't an issue, get a few different holsters and practice with them.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

I don't see why your thumbbreak holster wouldn't serve as an adequate OC holster. Your primary weapon retention system is your situational awareness.

ECS
    "If the truth hurts, it should." - Dad

" A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

"The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter." - Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon

Re: Holster for Sig 229

A thumb break holster is perfectly fine. No matter what holster you choose to wear, you still have to pay attention to your surroundings. I like Serpas, but they are not the only way to go.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the input.

I've been using the same holster for years and am comfy with it, so that's a plus.