• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster for Sig 229

jhfc

I'm new to this OC concept and have yet to do it.

I sometimes CC a Sig 229 in an OWB Ted Blocker holster with a thumb break. From what I've read on here, that holster is probably not sufficient to OC from a retention standpoint. True? I know it is a judgment call, but I'm interested in opinions. The thumb break doesn't release too easily, but I suppose a determined gun grabber would be able to do it.

Second topic -- if my current holster isn't sufficient, what are some recommendations for a retention holster for a Sig 229?

Last edited:

Michigander

Any level 2 or 3 Safariland will do just fine. I use and suggest the 6280 model. Safariland retention holsters are 100% good, all of them. Pick one you like, and you'll be fine.

Any second now people will be coming by to suggest Blackhawk Serpa holsters. I suggest against these generally for the reasons of Tex Grebner and his 1911 (look it up on youtube) though you're safer with a DA pull, but you still have the issues of inferior reliability if any obstructions get into the mechanism, and an obvious release button, and rapid holster wear on your guns finish.

jhfc

Thanks for the info Michigander. Do you use that holster with a 229?

Also, I see on their website, a distinction between a 229 and 229R. I had no idea there were two variants, nor how to tell which variant I have.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I see on their website, a distinction between a 229 and 229R. I had no idea there were two variants, nor how to tell which variant I have.

Their website isn't very good at showing the difference, you are right. The 229R has the larger accessory rail. I appears it might have the different grips and slide profile, too.

MarlboroLts5150

Any level 2 or 3 Safariland will do just fine. I use and suggest the 6280 model. Safariland retention holsters are 100% good, all of them. Pick one you like, and you'll be fine.

Any second now people will be coming by to suggest Blackhawk Serpa holsters. I suggest against these generally for the reasons of Tex Grebner and his 1911 (look it up on youtube) though you're safer with a DA pull, but you still have the issues of inferior reliability if any obstructions get into the mechanism, and an obvious release button, and rapid holster wear on your guns finish.

I carry a 229 in a Blackhawk Serpa, have been for 3+ years now. Haven't had the issues that some have had. No wear at all from the holster. and the cant angle I have the holster at once I hit the release button and draw my finger falls on the slide, not the trigger. This is more from training with that holster than anything. Plus, I have a Crimson Trace laser grip, and the Blackhawk is molded for that.

Whatever holster you decide to get, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!! I as a Navy firearms instructor CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH! Muscle memory can only be built through training.

As I said, I haven't had issues with Blackhawk, and Safariland, Uncle Mike and others all make great holsters. My advice is try them out in the store. If money isn't an issue, get a few different holsters and practice with them.

Elm Creek Smith

I don't see why your thumbbreak holster wouldn't serve as an adequate OC holster. Your primary weapon retention system is your situational awareness.

ECS

DamonK

A thumb break holster is perfectly fine. No matter what holster you choose to wear, you still have to pay attention to your surroundings. I like Serpas, but they are not the only way to go.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

jhfc

Thanks for the input.

I've been using the same holster for years and am comfy with it, so that's a plus.