Thread: Handgun transfer question

Handgun transfer question

I am considering trading a handgun to someone who is 19 years old in a private transaction. It appears that he qualifies for possession and transport of a handgun in Virginia. Obviously, he cannot purchase from an FFL.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.7

What are the rules for transferring a handgun to someone 19 years of age?

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
    I am considering trading a handgun to someone who is 19 years old in a private transaction. It appears that he qualifies for possession and transport of a handgun in Virginia. Obviously, he cannot purchase from an FFL.

Ask them if they are a resident of Virginia, and if they have any criminal convictions or other reasons that could legally bar them from owning a handgun....then sell it to them if they answer those questions correctly.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Ask them if they are a resident of Virginia, and if they have any criminal convictions or other reasons that could legally bar them from owning a handgun....then sell it to them if they answer those questions correctly.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Yep!
    You mean that the stuff you told me I had to do, like turn around three times clockwise and spit over my shoulder were not necessary? If I did not know better, I'd think you made me do those things just for fun.

Seriously, remember yur manners and say "Thank you" when he gives you the money.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

What is that smell?

Why, it smells like FREEDOM!

Somewhere, some anti is having a conniption over this discussion. That just makes me smile.
    Last edited by The Wolfhound; 06-27-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    You mean that the stuff you told me I had to do, like turn around three times clockwise and spit over my shoulder were not necessary? If I did not know better, I'd think you made me do those things just for fun.
    You forgot the part about clicking your heels together 3 times on your ruby red slippers.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

You forgot the part about clicking your heels together 3 times on your ruby red slippers.
    And the pinch of salt over the left shoulder in the light of the full moon.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Re: Handgun transfer question

I had to jump through a hoop of fire on a Big Wheel while reciting Shakespere!

Now I'm jealous.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b0neZ View Post
    I had to jump through a hoop of fire on a Big Wheel while reciting Shakespere!

Now I'm jealous.
    The procedure varies with days of the week ending in a "Y"
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Moderator / Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post

There are no rules except the federal law - no selling to people who you have reason to believe are prohibited persons. I would not ask the person any questions - could be used against you if he is in fact a prohibited person and states that he told you as much - if you have no reason, you have no reason!

pribate sales means private - no reason to keep personal info of purchaser or due a bill of sale, unless the buyer demands one and you want to do it.

Private sales are what keeps the dealer run 4473s from becoming a decentralized registration system - private means private.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I would not ask the person any questions - could be used against you if he is in fact a prohibited person and states that he told you as much - if you have no reason, you have no reason!.
    and if you asked him nothing, he could still state that he told you that he was a prohibited person!

Sorry, I can't get behind that suggestion. Ask the questions, get a bill of sale signed that states that he is not prohibited, and sleep better at night.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    and if you asked him nothing, he could still state that he told you that he was a prohibited person!

Sorry, I can't get behind that suggestion. Ask the questions, get a bill of sale signed that states that he is not prohibited, and sleep better at night.
    I thought that User/Dan Hawes had a recommended bill of sale on his home page - unfortunately it no longer seems to be there. Does anyone have a copy?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I've used this one a few times. Does the job.

http://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf
    Additional text for your reading pleasure...

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

I don't understand how asking can be used against you either...but I'm not big on bills of sale either. Ask and answer and if you're not comfortable, leave it, but one of the great things about private sales is that they are untraceable.
    I like untraceable.

Yikes...

I'm big on protecting Personally Identifiable Information (PII), as identity theft is a real problem. As such, I'm not big on the bill of sale idea. I don't care for a stranger being able to couple the fact that I'm a gun owner with information like my name (and maybe more).

I sleep well due in part to keeping strangers out of my business and me keeping out of theirs.
    Last edited by DrMark; 07-06-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HearseGuy View Post
    I've used this one a few times. Does the job.

http://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf

I'm 19 and just recently bought a handgun via private transaction (no relation to the other said 19yo ), and used the bill of sale you listed. Provided proof of sale and just really makes things easier if SHTF.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

I go with this most always in private transfers. A BOS is easy to create, can be hand written, and is a bonafide contract when the three essential elements are met: legal endeavor, consideration is made, and signed by both parties or their agents.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by DMack View Post
    I'm 19 and just recently bought a handgun via private transaction (no relation to the other said 19yo ), and used the bill of sale you listed. Provided proof of sale and just really makes things easier if SHTF.
    Many are of the opinion that if TSHTF you would be much happier if there were no record that you had guns, had ammo, had food, had water, had shelter, knew useful stuff, had copies of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution (in case the originals got lost), and a host of other information that might make you somebody's target. Especially if that somebody dresses in jackboots and BDUs.

Your mileage obviously varies. Might be a factor of youth - please check to see if there is sand in your ears.*

stay safe.

* - that happens when you stick your head in the sand.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit