• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun transfer question

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I am considering trading a handgun to someone who is 19 years old in a private transaction. It appears that he qualifies for possession and transport of a handgun in Virginia. Obviously, he cannot purchase from an FFL.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

What are the rules for transferring a handgun to someone 19 years of age?

Ask them if they are a resident of Virginia, and if they have any criminal convictions or other reasons that could legally bar them from owning a handgun....then sell it to them if they answer those questions correctly.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ask them if they are a resident of Virginia, and if they have any criminal convictions or other reasons that could legally bar them from owning a handgun....then sell it to them if they answer those questions correctly.

Yep!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

You mean that the stuff you told me I had to do, like turn around three times clockwise and spit over my shoulder were not necessary? If I did not know better, I'd think you made me do those things just for fun.

Seriously, remember yur manners and say "Thank you" when he gives you the money.

stay safe.

The Wolfhound

What is that smell?

Why, it smells like FREEDOM!

Somewhere, some anti is having a conniption over this discussion. That just makes me smile.:D

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
I am considering trading a handgun to someone who is 19 years old in a private transaction. It appears that he qualifies for possession and transport of a handgun in Virginia. Obviously, he cannot purchase from an FFL.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

What are the rules for transferring a handgun to someone 19 years of age?

There are no rules except the federal law - no selling to people who you have reason to believe are prohibited persons. I would not ask the person any questions - could be used against you if he is in fact a prohibited person and states that he told you as much - if you have no reason, you have no reason!

pribate sales means private - no reason to keep personal info of purchaser or due a bill of sale, unless the buyer demands one and you want to do it.

Private sales are what keeps the dealer run 4473s from becoming a decentralized registration system - private means private.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I would not ask the person any questions - could be used against you if he is in fact a prohibited person and states that he told you as much - if you have no reason, you have no reason!.

and if you asked him nothing, he could still state that he told you that he was a prohibited person!

Sorry, I can't get behind that suggestion. Ask the questions, get a bill of sale signed that states that he is not prohibited, and sleep better at night.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
and if you asked him nothing, he could still state that he told you that he was a prohibited person!

Sorry, I can't get behind that suggestion. Ask the questions, get a bill of sale signed that states that he is not prohibited, and sleep better at night.

I thought that User/Dan Hawes had a recommended bill of sale on his home page - unfortunately it no longer seems to be there. Does anyone have a copy?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I don't understand how asking can be used against you either...but I'm not big on bills of sale either. Ask and answer and if you're not comfortable, leave it, but one of the great things about private sales is that they are untraceable.
I like untraceable.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran

Yikes...

I'm big on protecting Personally Identifiable Information (PII), as identity theft is a real problem. As such, I'm not big on the bill of sale idea. I don't care for a stranger being able to couple the fact that I'm a gun owner with information like my name (and maybe more).

I sleep well due in part to keeping strangers out of my business and me keeping out of theirs.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

I go with this most always in private transfers. A BOS is easy to create, can be hand written, and is a bonafide contract when the three essential elements are met: legal endeavor, consideration is made, and signed by both parties or their agents.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm 19 and just recently bought a handgun via private transaction (no relation to the other said 19yo :lol:), and used the bill of sale you listed. Provided proof of sale and just really makes things easier if SHTF.

Many are of the opinion that if TSHTF you would be much happier if there were no record that you had guns, had ammo, had food, had water, had shelter, knew useful stuff, had copies of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution (in case the originals got lost), and a host of other information that might make you somebody's target. Especially if that somebody dresses in jackboots and BDUs.

Your mileage obviously varies. Might be a factor of youth - please check to see if there is sand in your ears.*

stay safe.

* - that happens when you stick your head in the sand.