• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traverling through AZ

sopranos27

Got a question for you guys... My wife and I will be driving from Arkansas through AZ on our way to Las Vegas in July and want to know if she will be able to Open Carry even though she does not have a CCL. I've been researching what I could but I know laws change regularly and are not always updated online and wanted to hear what the locals have to say. I have my CCL and she does not. What can she legally do in the State of Arizona?

gunslinger493

Yes, your wife can open carry without having a CCL or she can CC. You have never needed any type of permit to open carry in Arizona and as of 2010, you don't need a permit to CC either. If you are driving from Arkansas to Vegas, I presume that you will be on I-40. Be aware that I-40 passes through the Navajo Indian Reservation and they have their own laws regarding guns. According to my map, the reservation starts at the NM border and you be on the reservation for about 20 miles. As long as you stay on the interstate you will be fine, the minute that pull over to a road stop (there are a few), you are on the reservation so leave your guns in the car.

If you stop at restaurant that serves alcohol, you can not consume alcohol and must CC with a valid permit (from any state, I believe).

If you are taking I-40, be prepared to see some very pretty and desolate country. I mean you will not see any signs of human habitation other than the interstate and power lines. Also if you are taking I-40, you should make a point to stop at Meteor Crater. It is about 6 miles off I-40 (exit 233) and well worth the trip.

Have a safe trip. I made a similar drive last year when I moved here from Charleston, SC. I drove on I-40 for over 1300 miles.

PS If you get the chance, stop by Hoover Dam as well.

sopranos27

Yes, your wife can open carry without having a CCL or she can CC. You have never needed any type of permit to open carry in Arizona and as of 2010, you don't need a permit to CC either. If you are driving from Arkansas to Vegas, I presume that you will be on I-40. Be aware that I-40 passes through the Navajo Indian Reservation and they have their own laws regarding guns. According to my map, the reservation starts at the NM border and you be on the reservation for about 20 miles. As long as you stay on the interstate you will be fine, the minute that pull over to a road stop (there are a few), you are on the reservation so leave your guns in the car.

If you stop at restaurant that serves alcohol, you can not consume alcohol and must CC with a valid permit (from any state, I believe).

If you are taking I-40, be prepared to see some very pretty and desolate country. I mean you will not see any signs of human habitation other than the interstate and power lines. Also if you are taking I-40, you should make a point to stop at Meteor Crater. It is about 6 miles off I-40 (exit 233) and well worth the trip.

Have a safe trip. I made a similar drive last year when I moved here from Charleston, SC. I drove on I-40 for over 1300 miles.

I've driven from Arkansas to California many a times but this will be my first trip while I'm carrying. I know what you mean about absolute nothingness on I-40 and there are quite a few spots where there is absolutely no radio reception! LOL. My wife and I will probably stay the night in Holbrook so we can save some $$$ on a hotel and finish our drive to Vegas the next day. Appreciate all the info!

FreeInAZ

Got a question for you guys... My wife and I will be driving from Arkansas through AZ on our way to Las Vegas in July and want to know if she will be able to Open Carry even though she does not have a CCL. I've been researching what I could but I know laws change regularly and are not always updated online and wanted to hear what the locals have to say. I have my CCL and she does not. What can she legally do in the State of Arizona?

Glad others already gave you the answers. Now if only the admin here would just post a sticky to AZ laws as has been suggested in the past? It would have saved you some time....
Maybe post count is so low in this state forum that they won't just to pad the hit/post counter?

Good luck and enjoy AZ. We're always looking for freedom loving people. :D

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...the reservation starts at the NM border and you be on the reservation for about 20 miles. As long as you stay on the interstate you will be fine, the minute that pull over to a road stop (there are a few), you are on the reservation so leave your guns in the car.

Must one leave their guns in the car on the reservation? Reservation laws only apply to tribal members, right?. So, while you can be trespassed from the reservation, you aren't breaking the law by staying armed on the reservation. Since concealing is legal without a permit, you can stay armed without risking offending tribal police.

General FYI, Hoover Dam is Bureau of Reclamation, and a federal facility. It is not part of the Lake Mead National Recreation Area (National Park Service). So while you can stay armed elsewhere on Lake Mead, you will have to keep your guns in the car even while on the top of Hoover Dam.

sopranos27

Don't mind asking you guys... That's what this forum is all about! I love Arizona and would love to move to Flagstaff one day. That is where I stop everytime I travel through but this trip will be logistically different and wont be able to stay there this time. I just look forward to my wife and I openly carrying and not having to worry about anything. Thanks for all the replies!

azcdlfred

Reservation laws only apply to tribal members, right
Reservations are sovereign nations. Just like when someone visits the USA they are subject to US laws, when you step foot on a Res you are subject to that nation's laws at least when it comes to firearms. Arizona firearms laws do not trump Reservation laws. The exception is driving on the Interstate.

Fred

Last edited: