• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling through New Mexico

sopranos27

Got a question for you guys... My wife and I will be driving from Arkansas through NM on our way to Las Vegas in July and want to know if she will be able to Open Carry even though she does not have a CCL. I've been researching what I could but I know laws change regularly and are not always updated online and wanted to hear what the locals have to say. I have my CCL and she does not. What can she legally do in the State of New Mexico?

AH.74

Got a question for you guys... My wife and I will be driving from Arkansas through NM on our way to Las Vegas in July and want to know if she will be able to Open Carry even though she does not have a CCL. I've been researching what I could but I know laws change regularly and are not always updated online and wanted to hear what the locals have to say. I have my CCL and she does not. What can she legally do in the State of New Mexico?

Yes, she can open carry. Go to handgunlaw.us and review the prohibited locations; you will need to observe these as if you had a license. Enjoy your time here.

sopranos27

Yes, she can open carry. Go to handgunlaw.us and review the prohibited locations; you will need to observe these as if you had a license. Enjoy your time here.

Thanks for the info! We will be passing through on our way to and staying the night in Roswell on the way back. She basically just want's to carry for those don't have a choice gotta stop at a rest stop moments.

sopranos27

Well, the wife and I made our trip to Vegas and back and had no issues whatsoever OC'ing in the great state of New Mexico! She was nervous at first but after she did it a couple of times she leaned over to me and said she now understands why I carry! Said she felt very empowered... The only encounter I had was at the Allsups in Clovis, NM when a teen working the counter saw my sidearm and asked if I needed a permit for that. I gave him a quick lesson on how New Mexico was a Constitutional Carry State and whatnot and told him to brush up on the laws so he could become familiar with them. Thank you New Mexico!

AH.74

Well, the wife and I made our trip to Vegas and back and had no issues whatsoever OC'ing in the great state of New Mexico! She was nervous at first but after she did it a couple of times she leaned over to me and said she now understands why I carry! Said she felt very empowered... The only encounter I had was at the Allsups in Clovis, NM when a teen working the counter saw my sidearm and asked if I needed a permit for that. I gave him a quick lesson on how New Mexico was a Constitutional Carry State and whatnot and told him to brush up on the laws so he could become familiar with them. Thank you New Mexico!

Did you by chance make sure that that particular Allsup's did not sell alcohol before entering? Because if they did and you were OC'ing, you were in fact in violation of the law. If they did not sell alcohol, you were good.

sopranos27

Did you by chance make sure that that particular Allsup's did not sell alcohol before entering? Because if they did and you were OC'ing, you were in fact in violation of the law. If they did not sell alcohol, you were good.

To be honest I did not even notice if they had alcohol in the store... I'll have to pay better attention next time I'm in NM. I did however conceal when I went to K-Bobs for dinner since they served alcohol and I knew that since I did have a concealed permit I could carry concealed.

sopranos27

Was reviewing the handgun laws in NM and I came across this:

Terms and Conditions o
f License:
A. Carrying only handguns listed on license.
No person shall carry a concealed handgun of a different category or higher caliber than is indicated on the license issued to that person by the department. A licensee shall only carry one (1) concealed handgun at any given time.

B. Consumption of alcohol prohibited. No person shall consume alcohol while carrying a concealed handgun.

C. Carrying while impaired. Pursuant to NM SA 1978 Section 30 -7-4, no person shall carry a concealed handgun while impaired by the use of alcohol, controlled substances, or over-the-counter or prescribed medications.

Does this mean you can consume alcohol while OC'ing? Not that I would do it but it only states while "concealing"...