• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting Anvils

Troy bilt

So I was watching Only in America the other day and they where shooting Anvils. Has anyone ever done, or seen this done. I want to give this a try so bad. I have secured one 100lb Anvil and hope to find a second soon.

Here is a quick video of what I,m speaking of if you have never seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhQ4dE_RGnQ

Thanks for your time

jeeper1

I have only seen videos of that. I would like to see it live from a safe distance.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
So I was watching Only in America the other day and they where shooting Anvils. Has anyone ever done, or seen this done. I want to give this a try so bad. I have secured one 100lb Anvil and hope to find a second soon.

Here is a quick video of what I,m speaking of if you have never seen it before.

Thanks for your time

don't forget to bring an umbrella!

WalkingWolf

We recovered 70 sticks of dynamite that were dumped in a lake. There were taken to a blast site to be blown up. Now the person who did this, dug a whole with a backhoe, set a charge with the recovered explosives, and covered it up. We watched from what we thought was a safe distance, at least our cars were not close. The demo guy drove his red Cadillac convertible to the site about a hundred yards from the blast. Not far enough. One large clump of dirt managed to find his caddy right in the center of the top.

These guys in this video are nuts, hopefully it never backfires on them. Just a bit of a angle could send a anvil on top of somebody.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
This is dumb. No, this is felony dumb. If the bullet does not penetrate, will it ricochet?? No fun to get shot with your own bloody bullet. Where will it go??
We just had a small group of idiots shooting into the air and at rocks. One of the bullets came down and killed a human. This is a bad move.

http://mynorthwest.com/646/2298349/The-sweet-loving-young-woman-killed-by-a-stray-bullet

While investigators are still talking with people who were in the area, they believe the shots came from a group of five people who were shooting at targets with handguns high-powered rifles near the Nooksack River.
The Whatcom County Prosecutor's office tells me charges are expected Wednesday against two men who are out on bail. Robert Lee, 23, of Bellingham, and Douglas Quiding Jr., 40, from Ferndale.
Both are convicted felons who are not supposed to have access to weapons.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
This is dumb. No, this is felony dumb. If the bullet does not penetrate, will it ricochet?? No fun to get shot with your own bloody bullet. Where will it go??
We just had a small group of idiots shooting into the air and at rocks. One of the bullets came down and killed a human. This is a bad move.

http://mynorthwest.com/646/2298349/The-sweet-loving-young-woman-killed-by-a-stray-bullet

While investigators are still talking with people who were in the area, they believe the shots came from a group of five people who were shooting at targets with handguns high-powered rifles near the Nooksack River.
The Whatcom County Prosecutor's office tells me charges are expected Wednesday against two men who are out on bail. Robert Lee, 23, of Bellingham, and Douglas Quiding Jr., 40, from Ferndale.
Both are convicted felons who are not supposed to have access to weapons.

you might want to watch the video so you know what the thread is about.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
We recovered 70 sticks of dynamite that were dumped in a lake. There were taken to a blast site to be blown up. Now the person who did this, dug a whole with a backhoe, set a charge with the recovered explosives, and covered it up. We watched from what we thought was a safe distance, at least our cars were not close. The demo guy drove his red Cadillac convertible to the site about a hundred yards from the blast. Not far enough. One large clump of dirt managed to find his caddy right in the center of the top.

These guys in this video are nuts, hopefully it never backfires on them. Just a bit of a angle could send a anvil on top of somebody.

In one video, I noticed the participants going to a lot of trouble to make sure the baseplates under the bottom anvil were level.

In some videos, the people are back a distance that is multiples of the altitude achieved.

I'm guessing they've got it figured out.

Regarding the clump of dirt on the Caddy, I remember a story from Reader's Digest. A farmer called in a fella to blow a large stump. Lots of root chopping and digging later, the dynamite was placed, the fuze lit, and developments awaited. Boom! The stump flew a lazy arc and landed smack on top of the stump expert's pick-up truck cab roof. The farmer--musta been New England--remarked, "With a little practice you can get that to land right in the bed of the truck." :)

I'm kinda amazed that FPS Russia hasn't gotten seriously hurt with his tannerite or whatever. In a few videos, stuff comes pretty close. And, its not always at the end of its ballistics when it goes by, neither.

WalkingWolf

I watched ISP demolitions expert blow a stump for his neighbor. Seems to me he only used a half a stick, and he went really deep below the root. The root kinda heaved but stayed in place, but they were able to pull it free with a pickup truck. It really was amazing because it made little noise, just sorta like whumpf.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I watched ISP demolitions expert blow a stump for his neighbor. Seems to me he only used a half a stick, and he went really deep below the root. The root kinda heaved but stayed in place, but they were able to pull it free with a pickup truck. It really was amazing because it made little noise, just sorta like whumpf.

Sounds kinda like watching engineers (military) setting off cratering charges. You don't really hear much--just a whumpf. And a whole lotta dirt heaves up. Leaving a crater too deep and steep to drive your tank through.

My favorite was the lazy way to dig drainage ditches. Just punch a line of holes into the ground and insert dynamite sticks. Boom. Instant drainage ditch. :)

Last edited:

09jisaac

shooting a large chunk of metal with has a high probability of making the bullet bounce off? count me out

This thread went right over your heads.

The title of the thread should be "Launching Anvils" or something similar but the contents should give away the intent of the OP.

@Walking Wolf, every time you use a large amount of BP for anything it is potentially dangerous. With slight care and a little know-how this is actually relatively safe.

"Oh god, these people are nuts driving to the store."

How many people do you know that has been hurt/killed driving? Now, how many people do you know that has been crushed by an anvil?

It seems that every "different" sport always has somebody talking about how dangerous it is, even though they are usually (statistically) safer.

eye95

Shooting anvils??? Anvils can shoot???

Evil, evil assault anvils.

(Care should be exercised in naming threads. I've seen three different interpretations of what the title is talking about!)

mikeyb

Shooting anvils??? Anvils can shoot???

Evil, evil assault anvils.

(Care should be exercised in naming threads. I've seen three different interpretations of what the title is talking about!)

It's the Internet, where everyone's a genius and spelling doesn't matter. :p

I guess no one ever watched the movie Sweet Home Alabama? Anvil launching is not exactly a popular activity, but not entirely new.

Neither are tennis ball launchers (lighter fluid powered or the more intense oxygen-acetylene) or other 4th of July activities.

Last edited:

jeffrey-r

:D

For the science wizs, what's the "muzzle energy" of a fifty pound anvil that falls from 200 feet?

Suddenly those old Roadrunner & Coyote cartoons take on a new meaning.

Well, I downloaded the video so I could frame-by-frame tell how long the "flight' took. It ended up being 6.43 seconds from explosion to impact.

Given 6.43 seconds, we can find how fast it was going when it hit the ground. Neglecting wind resistance, its flight time to apex would be the same as the time from apex to ground, which means it was free-falling from (x) height for 3.215 seconds.

Vf = V0 + a*t : so velocity when it hit the ground was 31.5 meters per second, 103.3 feet per second, or 70.5 miles per hour.

How close was he on the 200 foot distance from the title? Well d = V0*t + 0.5*a*t^2. That results in 50.7 meters, or 166 feet.

As for the energy, kinetic energy is Ek = 0.5*m*v^2. A 100 lbs anvil is 45.4 kg. So with a final impact at 31.5 m/s, the kinetic energy of that anvil is 22.5 kJ. To put that in perspective, here's a list I stole off some other website:

1 J : An apple falling from 1 meter
230 J : Fastball @ 100 mi/hr
450 J : .357 Mag Handgun (150 gr @ 1000 fps)
3900 J : 7.62x39 Rifle Bullet (120 gr @ 3000 fps)
5000 J : 220 lb tackle running 40 yd in 4 sec (100 kg at 10 m/sec)
15 kJ : .50 BMG
490 kJ : Kinetic energy of Automobile (3000 lb @ 60 mi/hr)

So more energy than being hit by a Barrett, but less than getting hit by a Chevy.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Well, I downloaded the video so I could frame-by-frame tell how long the "flight' took...

'Zactly what I was looking for. Thank you! :D

No wonder Wiley Coyote worked so hard to climb back up and be on top of the falling anvil, rock, etc. :D

Hey! That gives me an idea. What's the muzzle energy of a falling Wiley at impact? In one of the videos that accompanied the restored cartoons, there was a historical note that Chuck Jones, the creator and director of Roadrunner and Coyote, timed the fall of the Coyote very precisely for comedic effect. Too long, and the audience would get bored; too short, and the effect wouldn't have time to build. I don't recall, but I want to say ol' Chuck timed the falls for six seconds, the Coyote dwindling into the distance, and almost always missing the water in the bottom of the canyon.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
This thread went right over your heads.

The title of the thread should be "Launching Anvils" or something similar but the contents should give away the intent of the OP.

@Walking Wolf, every time you use a large amount of BP for anything it is potentially dangerous. With slight care and a little know-how this is actually relatively safe.

"Oh god, these people are nuts driving to the store."

How many people do you know that has been hurt/killed driving? Now, how many people do you know that has been crushed by an anvil?

It seems that every "different" sport always has somebody talking about how dangerous it is, even though they are usually (statistically) safer.

watched the vid ... got it ... yes launching anvils would have been a better title. I have known no one who has died either in a car or anvil accident ... but if ya have the room and the time, knock yourself out !