• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knowing the laws.

mjcromp

After reading a post in the forum a few days back about people CC in places that are "prohibited" it got me wondering what the trouble would be if I were to CC into one of those places and for some reason be found carrying. I asked a state trooper what would happen because sometimes the signs are too small to see. He proceeded to tell me how I could be arrested for trespassing with a firearm and that I could not carry in a school or church...So needless to say I walked away from that conversation with a "Ok. Thank you Officer" Knowing full well he doesn't know the law. I research to keep myself out of trouble. In Oregon I was under the impression that you could just be asked to leave (unless a federal building or something of the sort) and a retry of that same said place could result in Trespassing.

marksrig

re: knowing the law

After reading a post in the forum a few days back about people CC in places that are "prohibited" it got me wondering what the trouble would be if I were to CC into one of those places and for some reason be found carrying. I asked a state trooper what would happen because sometimes the signs are too small to see. He proceeded to tell me how I could be arrested for trespassing with a firearm and that I could not carry in a school or church...So needless to say I walked away from that conversation with a "Ok. Thank you Officer" Knowing full well he doesn't know the law. I research to keep myself out of trouble. In Oregon I was under the impression that you could just be asked to leave (unless a federal building or something of the sort) and a retry of that same said place could result in Trespassing.
Unless the law has changed in the last year, it is perfecty legal to CC on public school grounds and of course churches which are private property. Private property has to have a sign prohibiting carrying including private schools. You would be tresspassed if found to be carrying on a location that is posted...provided you hang around long enough to get caught!:lol:

mjcromp

It is completely fine to CC in schools and public places. I have no idea where he got that idea from. My BS detector went off and realized it was time to move on to someone that knows what they are talking about. Why are people so ignorant?

We-the-People

Along with the line "NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE" is the line "NEVER ASK A POLICE OFFICER FOR LEGAL ADVICE".

Post private property is not prohibited by LAW. The property owner is, by posting, making their wishes known. While it is bad manners to disregard those wishes, it is NOT A CRIME. It is ONLY a crime if you are found to be carrying, asked/told to leave, AND you don't leave. It then becomes trespassing.

Police do NOT know the law. If you would like to hear them first hand discussing (on the radio) whether they can pull your CHL and confiscate your firearm for "failure to notify" just go to my youtube channel where I have an audio recording of that conversation. I also have a series on Oregon's firearms laws and address each of the major sections of the ORS pertaining to firearms being carried. One of those sections also addresses the subject of posted private property.

PM me if you're interested and I'll send you the channel name.