Thread: Police record drivers' activity with license-plate reader. EFFective FOIA use.

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin

Police record drivers' activity with license-plate reader. EFFective FOIA use.

"Many cities use license-plate readers to enforce parking restrictions or identify motorists who run red lights. Police in New York City have used the readers to catch car thieves and scan parking lots to identify motorists with open warrants."

"A year ago, the Northern California Regional Intelligence Center – one of dozens of law enforcement intelligence-sharing [Fusion} centers set up after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 – signed a $340,000 agreement with the Silicon Valley firm Palantir to construct a database of license-plate records flowing in from police using the devices across 14 counties, documents and interviews show."

"When the city of San Leandro, Calif., purchased a license-plate reader for its police department in 2008, computer security consultant Michael Katz-Lacabe asked the city for a record of every time the scanners had photographed his car. ... The paperback-size device, installed on the outside of police cars, can log thousands of license plates in an eight-hour patrol shift. Katz-Lacabe said it had photographed his two cars on 112 occasions, including one image from 2009 that shows him and his daughters stepping out of his Toyota Prius in their driveway. That photograph, Katz-Lacabe said, made him “frightened and concerned about the magnitude of police surveillance and data collection.” The single patrol car in San Leandro equipped with a plate reader had logged his car once a week on average, photographing his license plate and documenting the time and location."

License plate readers tracking cars -
    If TRUMP 2016 loses then I will shrug off my WHITE MAN'S BURDEN and leave the world to the Dindus and Done Nuffins. Read and understand Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as a prescription for the future. TRUMP 2016

Founder's Club Member
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Wow, wow, wow, wow, just Wow!!

My county is occupied by approximately 1300 paramilitaries (so-called police). That's roughly a battalion worth.

On any given day of driving, I see between one and four of their vehicles.

Subtract the patrol cars that are not close enough to photograph my plate, or are traveling at the wrong angle, and I'm betting residents in my county have been photographed twice as often as the guy in the article above. His story is hair-raising enough!!

I wonder how the following bumper sticker would go over: "Photograph this copper: <middle finger>" Affix that puppy right above the license plate.

From now on, no cop gets even the tiniest bit of sympathy from me if he's video'd or recorded. Every argument against it is just specious hypocrisy.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Granite State of Mind
    Have I mentioned lately how much I love New Hampshire? It's the only state that bans such generalized surveillance.

236:130 Highway Surveillance Prohibited. –
    I. In this subdivision, "surveillance'' means the act of determining the ownership of a motor vehicle or the identity of a motor vehicle's occupants on the public ways of the state or its political subdivisions through the use of a camera or other imaging device or any other device, including but not limited to a transponder, cellular telephone, global positioning satellite, or radio frequency identification device, that by itself or in conjunction with other devices or information can be used to determine the ownership of a motor vehicle or the identity of a motor vehicle' s occupants.
    II. Neither the state of New Hampshire nor its political subdivisions shall engage in surveillance on any public ways of the state or its political subdivisions.
    III. The prohibition set forth in paragraph II shall not apply where surveillance:
    (a) Is specifically authorized by statute;
    (b) Is undertaken on a case-by-case basis in the investigation of a particular violation, misdemeanor, or felony;
    (c) Is undertaken to produce images or data that:
    (1) Are viewed only at the transportation management center of the department of transportation in connection with a particular incident occurring on a public way; and
    (2) Are not recorded;
    (d) Is incidental to the monitoring of a building or other structure under the control of the state or a political subdivision of the state;
    (e) Is undertaken for purposes of operation of the E-Z Pass system; or
    (f) Is undertaken for the security of the following bridges and approach structures: I-95 Piscataqua River Bridge, Sarah Mildred Long Bridge, and the Memorial Bridge, all in Portsmouth.
    IV. Nothing in this section shall prevent the creation, transmission, or recording of any images or data which cannot, by enhancement, manipulation, or otherwise, be used for surveillance.
    V. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation if a natural person, or guilty of a misdemeanor if any other person.

Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Eluding police is often illegal.

Oh, you meant "alluding."

On topic: I wish NH would also forbid the feds from conducting such surveillance. IMO, they have that authority in any area where the feds are not exercising one of the 18 enumerated powers.

earth's crust
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Have I mentioned lately how much I love New Hampshire? It's the only state that bans such generalized surveillance.

So, they do it in secret ?

Put your plate on the rear dash