• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Zion Shuttle Service

jdholmes

Since you cannot drive your car in Zion NP now with their new shuttle service in place for the summer, that creates a question for me.

I know you can carry in the park, but not in federal facilities...does the shuttle constitute a federal facility with a federal employee working it? And if so would that not negate my ability to carry?

Also my friend that is coming, as well as myself, don't have CCW's - coming from Nevada. I have a 1911 - from what I understand I just need to not have one in the chamber, right - to make two actions?

My friend has a revolver which he says has no safeties or hammer - he just pulls the trigger and it fires. How does he create two legal actions before firing?

Thanks for your help - headed up to camp on Friday.

jdholmes

That's not good. I am speaking though of the ones that are inside the park past at Watchman and South campgrounds - are those the same?

Seems backward for them to say its ok to carry in the park but then deny me the right to use my own vehicle on the roads, forcing me to use the bus of a private company that can disallow carry?

jdholmes

So drop the mag before I board the shuttle and put it back in but remain unchambered when I get off and I should be good?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So drop the mag before I board the shuttle and put it back in but remain unchambered when I get off and I should be good?

Since it is a Utah State Law that prohibits the loaded firearm on the bus, it would be the Utah State Law definition of "loaded" that would apply. Which means you can keep the full magazine in the gun.

And since you read that on the NPS website, I am also guessing that it might be misleading and actually not apply when you have a permit (from any state). Did they cite the UCA (Utah Code, Annotated) they are using to say that you can't carry a "loaded" gun on the bus?

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
I am NOT aware of ANY Utah statute prohibiting the carry of a loaded handgun on any shuttle or in state bus. There's one that mandates one have a concealed carry permit. Note that Utah's carry permit ALLOWS concealment; I does not mandate it!

The OC of handguns on UTA busses, shuttles, and Front Runner Trains are REGULARLY reported on another Utah specific carry forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jdholmes

FYI - I carried for two days in the park. Had a great time and no problem with the shuttle.

I did drop my mag because I was unsure, but they didn't even take notice of the fact I was carrying let alone how I was doing so.

There were no gun buster signs of any kind on the park shuttles.

Only had a coupe people pay any attention to it.

One was a European guy who seemed confused as to why I would need to carry a gun.

The other was a young guy recently out of the army and living in California, talked about how much he needs out of Cali so he can enjoy the same freedoms most US residents can enjoy.

Last edited: