• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A female perspective on carry and online surge in hatred toward female owners

Prometheus

Jane gives us her thoughts on carrying and encounters she has experienced over the years.

She also talks about the recent surge in hatred directed towards women who choose to defend themselves using the best tools available.

A female perspective on carry and encounters in public and online

Other than to control or dominate them, I cannot fathom why a male would want to see a female disarmed.

Personally I want my wife in a position where she always has the best and most appropriate tools for self-defense available and at her disposal 24/7/365.

sudden valley gunner

It's a shame when people get attacked because they don't fit into someone else's preconceived place in society or what they believe should be their views on the matter.

Woman are more likely to be the victims of violent crime like rape, I wish more women would use the best tools available to them for protection.

Freedom1Man

It's a shame when people get attacked because they don't fit into someone else's preconceived place in society or what they believe should be their views on the matter.

Woman are more likely to be the victims of violent crime like rape, I wish more women would use the best tools available to them for protection.

It's really a shame that there is not a dating site setup for us liberty minded folks.

I'd love to find a good woman who open carries to spend my time with.

Last edited:

jhfc

For men, it would be incredibly foolish to attempt to disenfranchise 50% of the population from the 2A cause. Rather, we should actively work to encourage female ownership and participation. The last few times I've been to the Sheriff's indoor range though, I did notice half the shooters were women; def a good sign. In the example above, I got the sense it was both anti men and women who gave this particular woman guff about being openly pro-gun.

On a personal note, my GF said not too long ago (unfortunately during the recent scare when prices were insane), "jhfc, I think we need another assault rifle." And she prefers Sigs to Glocks. You can see why I love her.

cteaglesfan

I think it depends on the woman. My girlfried is a vegetarian and a naturalized American Citizen born and raised in New Zealand. She never shot a gun and could care less before we got together. Once she went shooting with me she was addicted!! She got her permit to carry because that's the only way one can buy or shoot a gun in the state of Connecticut. She's just as liberal as she was the day I met her and I love her for it. She doesn't carry it for defense, she goes to no rallies.

I guess my point is just because a woman loves to shoot doesn't necessarily means she 'signed on for the whole thing'. I guess me like most men find woman with guns VERY sexy but I fear that if I approach a woman who carries I want to be look at like an intersted man an not like 'perp' And if she's not interested and I keep trying (like any good hunter would) I don't wanna get a gun pulled on me :D

Most of what I just said was humor, so take it easy on me :p

mikeyb

It's really a shame that there is not a dating site setup for us liberty minded folks.

I'd love to find a good woman who open carries to spend my time with.

By all means, start one up; here are some names for you:
3G (Guys Girls Guns) Dating
Match Grade Dating
"Squeeze, Don't Pull" Companionship

I'm one of the lucky ones, my fiance loves shooting. She's been around guns for a long time (her dad's a Veteran), while I come from a gun-free home.

I think the underlying assumption of females carrying is that other females project their own fears- "I can't shoot well, how can you?" "I'd never have a gun around kids." Guns aren't for everyone. And I'm okay with that. Gun haters should be okay with that, too.

Silvertongue

By all means, start one up; here are some names for you:
3G (Guys Girls Guns) Dating
Match Grade Dating
"Squeeze, Don't Pull" Companionship

I'm one of the lucky ones, my fiance loves shooting. She's been around guns for a long time (her dad's a Veteran), while I come from a gun-free home.

I think the underlying assumption of females carrying is that other females project their own fears- "I can't shoot well, how can you?" "I'd never have a gun around kids." Guns aren't for everyone. And I'm okay with that. Gun haters should be okay with that, too.

Boom. Nail on the head, there. It's not a safety issue, it's a freedom of choice issue.

If you think a dog is the best way to protect your family, power to you.

If you think an alarm system is the best way to protect your family, power to you.

If you think calling the police is the best way to protect your family ... well, you have the right to be wrong.

MKEgal

cteaglesfan said:
most men find woman with guns VERY sexy but I fear that if I approach a woman who carries I want to be look at like an intersted man an not like 'perp'.
And if she's not interested and I keep trying (like any good hunter would) I don't wanna get a gun pulled on me
Speaking for myself only, if someone is polite & respectful I have no problem with a nicely-worded expression of interest in getting to know each other better. (Coffee, lunch, concert in the park...)
The more polite the approach, the more polite the reaction, even if it's negative.

However, I have a huge problem with someone who doesn't take no for an answer.
Creepmeter needle starts rising right there.

If I say I'm not interested, pestering me is NOT the way to get on my good side. In fact, it pretty much cinches you being permanently on the "jerk / obnoxious / avoid" list. (So does a crude come-on.)

Comparing yourself to a hunter means that you're comparing me to prey.
I am not prey. I am a woman & I fight back.
Don't threaten me & you'll be just fine.

About the only post-saying-no action I can think of that's trying to promote yourself but not terribly creepy & disrespectful is giving your phone number or business card & saying something like "if you change your mind". Then walk away.

Look at it this way - if you don't respect my opinion & autonomy enough to take no for an answer in something simple, are you going to take no for an answer later, or are you going to end up getting that gun pulled / used on you because you've tried to rape me?

Common traits of stalkers. #1 on the list is "won't take no for an answer".
http://www.esia.net/Common_Traits_of_Stalkers.htm

cteaglesfan

Speaking for myself only, if someone is polite & respectful I have no problem with a nicely-worded expression of interest in getting to know each other better. (Coffee, lunch, concert in the park...)
The more polite the approach, the more polite the reaction, even if it's negative.

If I say I'm not interested, pestering me is NOT the way to get on my good side. In fact, it pretty much cinches you being permanently on the "jerk / obnoxious / avoid" list. (So does a crude come-on.)

Comparing yourself to a hunter means that you're comparing me to prey.
I am not prey. I am a woman & I fight back.
Don't threaten me & you'll be just fine.

About the only post-saying-no action I can think of that's trying to promote yourself but not terribly creepy & disrespectful is giving your phone number or business card & saying something like "if you change your mind". Then walk away.

Look at it this way - if you don't respect my opinion & autonomy enough to take no for an answer in something simple, are you going to take no for an answer later, or are you going to end up getting that gun pulled / used on you because you've tried to rape me?

As I stated in my post, it was all humor.

The word 'hunter' was used to describe the constant chase between men and women, don't read into it.

I believe there is a difference between persistance and being labeled a 'creep', i'm persistant. Gentlemaen do things one way, creep another.

I think you totally misunderstood what I was trying to say and took it in another direction, but oh well!!!

OC for ME

I think it depends on the woman. My girlfried is a vegetarian and a naturalized American Citizen born and raised in New Zealand. She never shot a gun and could care less before we got together. Once she went shooting with me she was addicted!! She got her permit to carry because that's the only way one can buy or shoot a gun in the state of Connecticut. She's just as liberal as she was the day I met her and I love her for it. She doesn't carry it for defense, she goes to no rallies.

<snip>
Gun owner votes for liberty.

<snip>

two way street. How many women will take "no" for an answer. This/your post is proof of this. By the way, My wife tells me, and I consider her an expert on this subject, that the woman are far more often the hunter than is the man. being a narrowly focused male as all males typically are, I have been informed that i have been "stalked" by other women and I had no clue that I was being stalked.....so much for my situational awareness.

As I stated in my post, it was all humor.

The word 'hunter' was used to describe the constant chase between men and women, don't read into it.

I believe there is a difference between persistence and being labeled a 'creep', I'm persistent. Gentleman do things one way, creep another.

I think you totally misunderstood what I was trying to say and took it in another direction, but oh well!!!
Unfortunately, in this day and age, men do not get a vote in the "persistent or creep" debate.

cteaglesfan

Gun owner votes for liberty.

two way street. How many women will take "no" for an answer. This/your post is proof of this. By the way, My wife tells me, and I consider her an expert on this subject, that the woman are far more often the hunter than is the man. being a narrowly focused male as all males typically are, I have been informed that i have been "stalked" by other women and I had no clue that I was being stalked.....so much for my situational awareness.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, men do not get a vote in the "persistent or creep" debate.

Remember when persistance was rewarded??

As a man you had to be persistant, or you went home alone.

OC for ME

I received a phone call once from a girl who was disappointed that I was not more persistent, didn't "try harder." Fortunately I was more persistent with my dear wife when the time called for persistence.....no regrets after 20+ years.

cteaglesfan

I received a phone call once from a girl who was disappointed that I was not more persistent, didn't "try harder." Fortunately I was more persistent with my dear wife when the time called for persistence.....no regrets after 20+ years.

So, it does pay off sometimes huh???

Get your wife to testify on this thread :lol:

cteaglesfan

My perspective on this issue does not count. No means no, maybe like means no, and yes is revokable without notice.

My wife disapproves of me blogging on my "little gun blog."

I find it quite entertaining that our creator (whatever you chose to believe) paired something so simple (and not in a good way) as a man with something so complex as a woman, and expects us to co-exist.

But this is coming from a recently divorced man, so you may want to leave my bitter comments in the toilet where they belong.

BroadwayJoe

So, it does pay off sometimes huh???:

I had to chase my wife for 6 months. I remember calling her house and her mother or father saying she's out with her boyfriend. That didn't stop me one bit, I kept calling. I was determined. Now 11 years later, 7 of them married and life is wonderful. Well worth my persistence, I am sure she will agree.

Back to the real topic, my wife does not like attention drawn to her so will not OC. She enjoys shooting, but she is a private person and feels OC just draws attention. We have had some debates about the subject, but I respect her opinion even even if it isn't the same as mine. She accepts me doing it, but would prefer it if I CC. We are both taking a CC class Saturday. I still plan on OC'ing, even if I do decide to turn in the certificate, but am thinking it may come in handy, primarily for vacation purposes. We visit FL yearly and I do not believe they are OC friendly.

OC for ME

<snip> We are both taking a CC class Saturday. I still plan on OC'ing, even if I do decide to turn in the certificate, but am thinking it may come in handy, primarily for vacation purposes. We visit FL yearly and I do not believe they are OC friendly.
^^This^^

I applied for and was issued a CCW endorsement (Missouri's name for the permission slip) for the above reason. Provides me with less opportunities to take up semi-permanent residency in a different state at the expense of that state's tax payers.