• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Free Zone App

JediWithASniper

Hey guys, I just came across an amazing app today that allows super easy input for pro carry, or non carry establishments. I believe the app creators are anti-gun, but the app is free, and it's the best one I've seen so far. It has an auto locate feature, and automatically pulls up a list of businesses in what ever area you scroll to. We could create an awesome database with it if everyone from the experiences thread would download it, and find the places they've been to.

woodyrr

If it is this app, I have it and use it.

I had an email exchange with the developer and the name is somewhat of a misnomer. Although establishments with "No Open Carry" policies are technically not "gun free" they qualify for a red "No Guns" vote instead of green. They need to add a "comments" field though. There are a few "gun free" places on the app that don't outwardly appear to prohibit carry. There was also one that posted "No Open Carry" that had two "green" votes to my single "red" which is why I asked the developer what his opinion was.

http://www.gunfreezoneapp.com

WalkingWolf

Using a gun free zone app can be used against you in court. Remember that the GFSZA says "knowingly". If your device is seized with a warrant they can argue you knew the boundaries of a GFSZ.

TJ Norman

Gun Free Zone app

The app I use is based on your current location and only shows what other people say. You click on a location and you get two choices, green circle with a gun and red circle with a slash through the gun. Most places that I have looked at on the phone do not have any 'votes' one way or another.

So places that I frequent I will start clicking the appropriate button based on signage on the door or personal experience. There is no indication that the "yes" or "no" is anything more than the voters opinion.

The app developer does state when you download the app you can only vote once per device.

took my course the other day and so I have started looking around Edmond for places that allow carry.

TJ

WalkingWolf

It still is evidence that you "know" where the boundaries of a GFSZ are. So if you mess up and claim you did not know, the presence of that app could hang you.

TJ Norman

Gfza

I think you are confusing the Federal Gun Free Zone Act, with a simple check yes or no if this business is friendly to firearms. As far as I have seen it has no preloaded information so it is all crowd sourced.

Or I don't understand what "Boundaries" you speak of.

WalkingWolf

I think you are confusing the Federal Gun Free Zone Act, with a simple check yes or no if this business is friendly to firearms. As far as I have seen it has no preloaded information so it is all crowd sourced.

Or I don't understand what "Boundaries" you speak of.

Apparently I am, the title says Gun Free Zone App, but admittedly it does not say school. Mea Culpa.