Thread: Guns and Courthouses

Guns and Courthouses

Since my last thread got 0 responses, I'll ask more broadly about the issue.

Has anyone had any experiences trying to check a firearm at a courthouse? Do courthouses tend to provide this service? In Washington, there is a statute requiring courthouses to provide storage lockers for those carrying. Is there anything similar here?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

Quote Originally Posted by eBratt View Post
    Since my last thread got 0 responses, I'll ask more broadly about the issue.

Has anyone had any experiences trying to check a firearm at a courthouse? Do courthouses tend to provide this service? In Washington, there is a statute requiring courthouses to provide storage lockers for those carrying. Is there anything similar here?
    The statute you are looking for is:
    18-12-214.
    Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions

(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section...
    (4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:
    (a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;
    (b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and
    (c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.

I have personally carried into several courthouses and courtrooms within this state. (Rural ones don't always have the requisite detectors etc.)
    Here in the Metro area, I have yet to find one that allows for storage while in the building even though the law says they have to.
    I also have not taken many tours of court houses lately. Perhaps you should do some recon for us?

Weld County Court House and OC.

I've been in there on a few occasions and no, they do not allow OC/CC. There is a security guard with metal detectors present at the entrance and the other openings are exit only. When asked if they had a locked safe to secure my arms I was told that no they do not. So unfortunately not. I hope that helps you some, take care.

I served jury duty just recently too, except it was in El Paso County. I just locked the gun up in my car during the day. I'd rather that than leave it with law enforcement.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand