• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns and Courthouses

eBratt

Since my last thread got 0 responses, I'll ask more broadly about the issue.

Has anyone had any experiences trying to check a firearm at a courthouse? Do courthouses tend to provide this service? In Washington, there is a statute requiring courthouses to provide storage lockers for those carrying. Is there anything similar here?

JamesB

Since my last thread got 0 responses, I'll ask more broadly about the issue.

Has anyone had any experiences trying to check a firearm at a courthouse? Do courthouses tend to provide this service? In Washington, there is a statute requiring courthouses to provide storage lockers for those carrying. Is there anything similar here?

The statute you are looking for is:
18-12-214.
Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions

(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section...
(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:
(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;
(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and
(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.

I have personally carried into several courthouses and courtrooms within this state. (Rural ones don't always have the requisite detectors etc.)
Here in the Metro area, I have yet to find one that allows for storage while in the building even though the law says they have to.
I also have not taken many tours of court houses lately. Perhaps you should do some recon for us?

phroeb1

Weld County Court House and OC.

I've been in there on a few occasions and no, they do not allow OC/CC. There is a security guard with metal detectors present at the entrance and the other openings are exit only. When asked if they had a locked safe to secure my arms I was told that no they do not. So unfortunately not. I hope that helps you some, take care.

Polynikes

I served jury duty just recently too, except it was in El Paso County. I just locked the gun up in my car during the day. I'd rather that than leave it with law enforcement.