Thread: Need help selecting a micro video recorder

Need help selecting a micro video recorder

I have been relying on my phone to be a recorder for those moments that need to be recorded. I want to get something else. I'm looking for recommendations for something small and reliable. I found this one on amazon. Any suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0037P...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I have it. It has two problems: 1) mounting/attaching it so it records what you want it to record, and 2) the battery life isn't the equal of the recording capacity.

Re: Need help selecting a micro video recorder

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    I have it. It has two problems: 1) mounting/attaching it so it records what you want it to record, and 2) the battery life isn't the equal of the recording capacity.
    The battery life is a concern. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I just ordered this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered it because of the 3 second pre record buffer. It says that it keeps 3 seconds in memory and starts the recording with those three seconds. Handy when you don't hit the record in time. Still might catch the beginning of any encounter. It also looks easy to operate so I can press the button without looking at it.

It is bigger than a mini recorder but I might be able to hang it around the neck or something. Kinda like OC'ing a firearm, it might be a visual deterrent to LEO's who might want to flex their muscles. LOL.

Haven't received it yet but when I do I'll let you know how it operates if you're interested.

At this time I hope it isn't an issue. I carry a voice recorder now. I live in Lafayette, LA and so far I've never had a LEO encounter. I usually shop at night and I've passed several LEO's. Most have noticed the firearm and given me a nod and went about their business.
    Last edited by bhthib3381; 07-01-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Nice price! Make sure to give us a review.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Just replaced my Sony after 3 + years of virtual non-stop use. Only problem was one old file would not erase.

Bought a new Sony PX333 - newest version of the old one. I'm extremely happy with it.
    http://store.sony.com/p/Flash-Memory.../en/p/ICDPX333
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Wow, nice price and features, I think I just found my replacement recorder!

-MH
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Just replaced my Sony after 3 + years of virtual non-stop use. Only problem was one old file would not erase.

Bought a new Sony PX333 - newest version of the old one. I'm extremely happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by March Hare View Post
    Wow, nice price and features, I think I just found my replacement recorder!

-MH
    The mic and noise reduction work so well together that I can record from inside my blue jeans pocket with clarity.

Fresh recharge batteries every few days and delete 2 day old files if not needed - if in doubt save them for a while longer. Have never added the optional SD card - may do that this time.....got one somewhere in this mess
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Looks nice, this just might be my old micro-cassette replacement. I also like the fact it had a jack for an external mic. I have a battery powered lapel mic I used to use when I was a part-time patrolman. It really help with the sound quality.

Would there any advantage to using a micro-camcorder over a voice recorder?
    Last edited by ShootinRugers; 07-04-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootinRugers View Post
    Looks nice, this just might be my old micro-cassette replacement. I also like the fact it had a jack for an external mic. I have a battery powered lapel mic I used to use when I was a part-time patrolman. It really help with the sound quality.

Would there any advantage to using a micro-camcorder over a voice recorder?
    Of course and the pluses are obvious. I just don't find them practical for routine carry.

I do have a dash cam that runs continuously when I'm in my truck

Banned
    http://images.crestock.com/750000-759999/756310-xs.jpg

I like this one .... fifty cents !

Of course and the pluses are obvious. I just don't find them practical for routine carry.

I do have a dash cam that runs continuously when I'm in my truck
    I have dash cams also.

You answered my poorly worded question. Thank you.

I too just purchased the PX333. It has plenty of memory space internally (4GB) and expands to 32GB with a micro SD card. It is compact, lightweight and records well from the pocket. I wish they made these things rechargeable like a cellphone but they must be in cahoots with battery companies. Either way, the thing works well for what it's intended purpose is. I did a lot of research on different models before I purchased it and this one came up with great reviews. I recommend it to anyone looking for something. Now I just need a cheap Chinese dash cam off Ebay and I will be set.

Check out http://digital-voice-recorder-review.toptenreviews.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    I too just purchased the PX333. It has plenty of memory space internally (4GB) and expands to 32GB with a micro SD card. It is compact, lightweight and records well from the pocket. I wish they made these things rechargeable like a cellphone but they must be in cahoots with battery companies. Either way, the thing works well for what it's intended purpose is. I did a lot of research on different models before I purchased it and this one came up with great reviews. I recommend it to anyone looking for something. Now I just need a cheap Chinese dash cam off Ebay and I will be set.

Check out http://digital-voice-recorder-review.toptenreviews.com/
    Easy enough to load with rechargeable batteries.

Easy enough to load with rechargeable batteries.
    This is true, but I just like the convenience of being able to plug the thing in to charge like my phone instead of having to remove the batteries and stick them on a charger. Call it lazy, I call in pro convenience. LOL. It's really not an inconvenience, I am sure the batteries will last a week or so, just would be convenient otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    This is true, but I just like the convenience of being able to plug the thing in to charge like my phone instead of having to remove the batteries and stick them on a charger. Call it lazy, I call in pro convenience. LOL. It's really not an inconvenience, I am sure the batteries will last a week or so, just would be convenient otherwise.
    Then there would be no improved (rechargeable) new model opportunity

I wonder if the OP is going to tell us about his new video camera?

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    I wonder if the OP is going to tell us about his new video camera?
    I know, I was waiting for a review too.

This is a cool camera (multiple types from them): http://wolfcomusa.com/police-body-ca.../Products.html

And this video shows other types available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR0jQTHkQnA

I wonder if these cameras are available for "civilians"?