• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help selecting a micro video recorder

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I have it. It has two problems: 1) mounting/attaching it so it records what you want it to record, and 2) the battery life isn't the equal of the recording capacity.

VanillaBK

I have it. It has two problems: 1) mounting/attaching it so it records what you want it to record, and 2) the battery life isn't the equal of the recording capacity.

The battery life is a concern. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

bhthib3381

I just ordered this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JXADUA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered it because of the 3 second pre record buffer. It says that it keeps 3 seconds in memory and starts the recording with those three seconds. Handy when you don't hit the record in time. Still might catch the beginning of any encounter. It also looks easy to operate so I can press the button without looking at it.

It is bigger than a mini recorder but I might be able to hang it around the neck or something. Kinda like OC'ing a firearm, it might be a visual deterrent to LEO's who might want to flex their muscles. LOL.

Haven't received it yet but when I do I'll let you know how it operates if you're interested.

At this time I hope it isn't an issue. I carry a voice recorder now. I live in Lafayette, LA and so far I've never had a LEO encounter. I usually shop at night and I've passed several LEO's. Most have noticed the firearm and given me a nod and went about their business.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just replaced my Sony after 3 + years of virtual non-stop use. Only problem was one old file would not erase.

Bought a new Sony PX333 - newest version of the old one. I'm extremely happy with it.
http://store.sony.com/p/Flash-Memory-Recorder,-Voice-Recorder/en/p/ICDPX333

Wow, nice price and features, I think I just found my replacement recorder!

-MH

The mic and noise reduction work so well together that I can record from inside my blue jeans pocket with clarity.

Fresh recharge batteries every few days and delete 2 day old files if not needed - if in doubt save them for a while longer. Have never added the optional SD card - may do that this time.....got one somewhere in this mess :)

ShootinRugers

Just replaced my Sony after 3 + years of virtual non-stop use. Only problem was one old file would not erase.

Bought a new Sony PX333 - newest version of the old one. I'm extremely happy with it.

Looks nice, this just might be my old micro-cassette replacement. I also like the fact it had a jack for an external mic. I have a battery powered lapel mic I used to use when I was a part-time patrolman. It really help with the sound quality.

Would there any advantage to using a micro-camcorder over a voice recorder?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Looks nice, this just might be my old micro-cassette replacement. I also like the fact it had a jack for an external mic. I have a battery powered lapel mic I used to use when I was a part-time patrolman. It really help with the sound quality.

Would there any advantage to using a micro-camcorder over a voice recorder?
Of course and the pluses are obvious. I just don't find them practical for routine carry.

I do have a dash cam that runs continuously when I'm in my truck :)

BroadwayJoe

I too just purchased the PX333. It has plenty of memory space internally (4GB) and expands to 32GB with a micro SD card. It is compact, lightweight and records well from the pocket. I wish they made these things rechargeable like a cellphone but they must be in cahoots with battery companies. Either way, the thing works well for what it's intended purpose is. I did a lot of research on different models before I purchased it and this one came up with great reviews. I recommend it to anyone looking for something. Now I just need a cheap Chinese dash cam off Ebay and I will be set.

Check out http://digital-voice-recorder-review.toptenreviews.com/

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I too just purchased the PX333. It has plenty of memory space internally (4GB) and expands to 32GB with a micro SD card. It is compact, lightweight and records well from the pocket. I wish they made these things rechargeable like a cellphone but they must be in cahoots with battery companies. Either way, the thing works well for what it's intended purpose is. I did a lot of research on different models before I purchased it and this one came up with great reviews. I recommend it to anyone looking for something. Now I just need a cheap Chinese dash cam off Ebay and I will be set.

Check out http://digital-voice-recorder-review.toptenreviews.com/
Easy enough to load with rechargeable batteries.

BroadwayJoe

Easy enough to load with rechargeable batteries.

This is true, but I just like the convenience of being able to plug the thing in to charge like my phone instead of having to remove the batteries and stick them on a charger. Call it lazy, I call in pro convenience. LOL. It's really not an inconvenience, I am sure the batteries will last a week or so, just would be convenient otherwise.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is true, but I just like the convenience of being able to plug the thing in to charge like my phone instead of having to remove the batteries and stick them on a charger. Call it lazy, I call in pro convenience. LOL. It's really not an inconvenience, I am sure the batteries will last a week or so, just would be convenient otherwise.

Then there would be no improved (rechargeable) new model opportunity :p