• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit

bhfonline

To my understanding on research, you don't need a permit for open carry, But it is wise to email local police dept. to notify them that you are. Do I understand this right? (for Colorado)

golddigger14s

Activist Member
To my understanding on research, you don't need a permit for open carry, But it is wise to email local police dept. to notify them that you are. Do I understand this right? (for Colorado)

PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL your police dept every time you go out, that is not required in any state. That would be like emailing them every time you went to Walmart, or dropped off your kid at school.

"Dear PD, today I will be dropping off my kid at school. After that I will stop at Walmart for some groceries, is that OK? I promise to obey all speed limits too. I look forward to your response. I hope you can get back to me in less than 30 minutes otherwise my kid will be late for school.
Thanks,
Citizen"

I know that sounds crazy, but in essence that is what it would amount too. You never have to ask for permission to do something legal. As mentioned go to the CO thread for more info. In general you do not need a permit to OC in CO, BUT be aware Denver is a whole different animal. Also the new laws for mag capacity may affect you as well.
Where the heck did you get that info????

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=207
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?89-Colorado

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL your police dept every time you go out, that is not required in any state. That would be like emailing them every time you went to Walmart, or dropped off your kid at school....

I know that sounds crazy, but in essence that is what it would amount to....

This.

Cops these days often have a wrong sense of superiority. Why? Because many of us GAVE it to them.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL your police dept every time you go out, that is not required in any state.]

No, No, No.....do not ask permission. If you want to OC, do it. If someone gets antsy about it you will find out soon enough, but never ask permission.

Open carry, as well as possession of a handgun in an automobile, is generally permitted without a license. However, local governments may prohibit open carry, and the city of Denver has done so.[5] When a rifle or shotgun is transported in a vehicle, there may not be a round in the chamber.[6]
This is Colorado, your mileage may vary, so, look local.

eye95

I am going to walk to the base today, instead of driving. I have a license to drive, so if I were driving, I would not feel the need to do this. However, since I am participating in the unlicensed right to travel by walking, I will email my PD to let them know what I am doing.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I call me local PD and tell them when I am taking a dump ... then mail the proof to them so so that they are sure I am telling the truth.

Ya would figure this would make them happy, right? Nope ... they don't like me calling them every ten minutes.

fighting_for_freedom

License not required for OC, period. The only exception is Denver county, where there is no OC, for dubious reasons. A vehicle is considered an extension of your home - you may carry open or concealed, or wherever in your car you may choose. Long guns must not have a chambered round however. The rule in CO is that a business or government may prohibit OC only if every access to the venue is marked as such - if you can get in without seeing a sign, they carry no force of law.