• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

July 4th

ShieldOp

I just recently bought my self a hand gun, and I am slowly trying to get into open carrying and concealing. How ever i dont have my cpl yet, I was curious if I can open care to grand heaven for july 4th. Ive tryed to do so some research on oc in Michigan but wasn't to successful since there isnt any law that prohibits oc, except for few safe areas. I know the question may seem dumb but Im not sure if i can OC since its a state park and a lot of people are present. If any one has any advice on the question or just oc, please let me know Im new to all this.

xmanhockey7

Read Michigan State Police update #86 and the stickies here. Without a CPL you may OC on foot in a state park provided it is not somehow a place listed under 750.234d or a school. Know and understand how to legally transport a PISTOL. It can be sticky. After you read the stickies and MSP #86 please ask any questions you may have. It's ok if it's hard at first. We find there is a learning curve.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I just recently bought my self a hand gun, and I am slowly trying to get into open carrying and concealing. How ever i dont have my cpl yet, I was curious if I can open care to grand heaven for july 4th. Ive tryed to do so some research on oc in Michigan but wasn't to successful since there isnt any law that prohibits oc, except for few safe areas. I know the question may seem dumb but Im not sure if i can OC since its a state park and a lot of people are present. If any one has any advice on the question or just oc, please let me know Im new to all this.

my first bit of advice is that it's illegal to conceal without a CPL so i would say that even if you're trying to get into concealing slowly, don't. wait until you have your CPL.

ShieldOp

Thanks for all the replies, I think i am going to just get my cpl knocked out of the way and go with conceal, the law with oc definitely is more strict or seems like.
I do got another question, i kinda read up on it on state police web page but didnt see an answer i was looking for, but I know i can open carry with out a cpl in state of Michigan, but soon as i enter a vehicle its considered concealed and must be placed in the trunk, but soon as i do put it in my trunk do i need to separate my load megs from the weapon or can they be in the same case in the trunk.

Bronson

can they be in the same case in the trunk.

In the same case is fine.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(yq...ctname=mcl-750-231a&query=on&highlight=pistol

(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

Bronson

casper

Thanks for all the replies, I think i am going to just get my cpl knocked out of the way and go with conceal, the law with oc definitely is more strict or seems like.
I do got another question, i kinda read up on it on state police web page but didnt see an answer i was looking for, but I know i can open carry with out a cpl in state of Michigan, (but soon as i enter a vehicle its considered concealed) and must be placed in the trunk, but soon as i do put it in my trunk do i need to separate my load megs from the weapon or can they be in the same case in the trunk.
It's not considered concealed, just prohibited without a CPL.

TheQ

Once you get a CPL, you can actually open carry in more places than you can conceal carry. Read this for more info:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

But...if you're going to OC in a so-called PFZ once you have your CPL, you should be aware of this:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,25.msg15251.html#msg15251

Last edited:

Raggs

Once you get a CPL, you can actually open carry in more places than you can conceal carry. Read this for more info:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

But...if you're going to OC in a so-called PFZ once you have your CPL, you should be aware of this:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,25.msg15251.html#msg15251

Is this the only judge that has come out with this opinion? and wasn't she over turned on appeal? perhaps getting someone elected in her place would be a good idea?

landon holt

I've heard it called by all sorts of acronyms, CWP (concealed weapons permit), CHL (concealed handguns license), but never CPL (concealed permit license? lol).

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I've heard it called by all sorts of acronyms, CWP (concealed weapons permit), CHL (concealed handguns license), but never CPL (concealed permit license? lol).

Concealed Pistol License. Thats what they are called in Washington State.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealfaq.html

When do I need to have a concealed pistol license?
By law, you must have a concealed pistol license (CPL) when you are:
Carrying a pistol concealed on your person.
Carrying or placing a loaded pistol in a vehicle.

TheQ

Is this the only judge that has come out with this opinion? and wasn't she over turned on appeal? perhaps getting someone elected in her place would be a good idea?

The answer to all of your questions (except the last one) are answered in the referred post. She was actually upheld on appeal. She let the guy off for technical reasons but wrote in her dicta OC in a PFZ is an absurd interpretation. She is the only judge to have ruled on this to my knowledge.

As far as getting someone elected in her place -- that would require a lot of money and/or volunteers. Neither are plentiful. She is up for reelection this year, though. I'd like few things more than seeing her unseated.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Maybe this helps...

Arizona Concealed Weapon Permit;Arkansas Concealed Handgun License (OLD) Concealed Handgun Carry License (NEW);California License To Carry Concealed Pistol, Revolver, Or Other Firearm; Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit;Connecticut Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers;Delaware License To Carry A Concealed Deadly Weapon;Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License; Georgia Weapons Carry License;Idaho Concealed Weapons License;Indiana License to Carry Handgun;Iowa Nonprofessional Permit To Carry Weapons;Kentucky License To Carry Concealed Deadly Weapon/ Called "CCDW License" on state website;Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit;Maine Concealed Handgun Permit;Maryland Permit To Carry a Handgun;Massachusetts License to Carry Firearms (Class A/ Class B);Michigan Concealed Pistol License;Minnesota Permit to Carry A Pistol;Mississippi Firearm Permit;Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit;Nevada Concealed Firearm Permit;New Hampshire Revolver/Pistol License;New Mexico Concealed Handgun License;New York Pistol License;North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit;Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun;Oklahoma Concealed Weapon License;Oregon Concealed Handgun License;Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms;Rhode Island Pistol Permit;South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit;South Dakota Permit To Carry a Concealed Pistol;Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit;Texas Concealed Handgun License;Utah Concealed Firearm Permit;Virginia Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun (Resident)Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit (Non-resident);Washington License To Carry Concealed Pistol;West Virginia Concealed Pistol/Revolver License or Concealed Pistol/Revolver Permit;Wisconsin Concealed Weapons License; Wyoming Concealed Firearm Permit

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
The answer to all of your questions (except the last one) are answered in the referred post. She was actually upheld on appeal. She let the guy off for technical reasons but wrote in her dicta OC in a PFZ is an absurd interpretation. She is the only judge to have ruled on this to my knowledge.

As far as getting someone elected in her place -- that would require a lot of money and/or volunteers. Neither are plentiful. She is up for reelection this year, though. I'd like few things more than seeing her unseated.

"technical reasons"? The computers were not working at the courthouse?