• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gay pride???

45 Fan

Every prohibition of non-aggressive behavior affects you. Who do you think foots the bill for criminal litigation and incarceration?

I won't tell you to be less selfish; what I will do is advise you to broaden your horizons, as you might find more things to be selfish about. :cool:

I don't smoke pot and I am hetero, I am pro freedom. Glad the people of our state made a move in the right direction.

My implication was that it wasn't a selling point...I have no interest in it...if it came to vote, I would vote to legalize it, but still would not want it smoked in my home or put myself around it actively...

And...we are considering washington for our marriage now that has been brought into our view... :) thank you...

sudden valley gunner

My implication was that it wasn't a selling point...I have no interest in it...if it came to vote, I would vote to legalize it, but still would not want it smoked in my home or put myself around it actively...

And...we are considering washington for our marriage now that has been brought into our view... :) thank you...

Understood, if you do make it up this way let me know, maybe we can meet up.

Logan 5

Was out the other day. Driving up in the hills. Enjoying the fresh air, scenery, no humans for as far as I could see...having a gay time! Loved it! :)

Brace

The commoditization of identity is a very weird and gross thing, but to be fair it's something homosexuals have largely done to themselves. In fact, they got bored of it so they decided to appropriate trans identities as well. Now anyone who likes the color pink or my little pony is "transgender", until a year later when they aren't, at which point it becomes a matter of personal pride that they got over it. Who even cares about gay rights anymore.

This message brought to you by:

303 Magazine
AM 760 / The Party
At the Beach
Babes Around Denver
Barefoot Wine
Café Vivid & DJ Tatiana
CH2MHill
Coors
Denver Film Society
ElDorado Springs
Gayzette
Kaiser Permanente
KGNU sponsor
Magnolia Hotel
PETCO sponsor
Progressive sponsor
Occasions by Sandy
Three Olives Vodka
Unidos N Orgullo
Walgreens / AARP
Sam's Club s
Schomp BMW / MINI
VUKA Intelligent Energy
The Clinic

The official sponsors of Denver Pridefest. And remember, gays are a highly oppressed minority.

Brace

If you define oppression narrowly enough then only government ever did to begin with.

Brace

That's nice. If you define anything any way, then everything is (or can be) true. :rolleyes:

I prefer to use words as they are commonly understood.

Then you'll never manage in any profession, since they use words as only educated people understand them.

My point was opposite to your interpretation anyway. If you live in a small town in the middle of the desert and no store will serve you, you'll die. In practical terms this is coercive in a way that intuition suggests exceeds the right of business owners to refuse service and infringes upon the rights of the individual, which is why many states have not only housing but "public accommodations" listed as something which businesses can't refuse to a person for prejudicial reasons. This would be an example of private discrimination, and of private discrimination which still exists in the world (and the United States) today. Any denial of this would consist of some specious "analysis" with an overly restrictive definition of oppression, hence my post. It was a one sentence reductio ad absurdum.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
In practical terms this is coercive in a way that intuition suggests exceeds the right of business owners to refuse service and infringes upon the rights of the individual...

Speaking of using words "as educated people understand them"... :lol: You're not even close.

Anyway, the rest of your reasoning is specious. First of all, as "educated people" understand the word, one person discriminating one time is not "oppression". So, your ridiculous desert scenario is completely irrelevant to the point at hand – nothing more than a distraction.

Oppression is widespread, or ongoing mistreatment. This isn't an "overly restrictive definition", it's straight out of the dictionary (I did this just for you):

oppression |əˈpreSHən|
noun
prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or control: a region shattered by oppression and killing.
• the state of being subject to such treatment or control.
• mental pressure or distress: her mood had initially been alarm and a sense of oppression.

Note, "prolonged".

As history played out, government force did play a role in ending the oppression of minorities. (If you want to give government all the credit, that's fine for the purposes of this discussion). Do some individuals discriminate? Sure. But a single white guy discriminating against a single black guy is no more "oppression" than would be the inverse. No industry – not a single large business – discriminates against any of the commonly recognized "minority" groups. After all, government has seen to it that they can't. Government has, of course, exempted itself, and discriminates wildly (indeed, at "oppressive" levels) in its passage and implementation of laws.

So, I repeat: nobody oppresses minorities anymore but government.

If you all of a sudden want to take it international, all bets are off. The context of this discussion is clear: American politics.

Brace

Speaking of using words "as educated people understand them"... :lol: You're not even close.

You think that Libertarians own the word. I figured as much, but no, it has a history of being used in other contexts in academic texts.

Anyway, the rest of your reasoning is specious. First of all, as "educated people" understand the word, one person discriminating one time is not "oppression". So, your ridiculous desert scenario is completely irrelevant to the point at hand – nothing more than a distraction.

What is the scenario at hand? I don't think that's been defined.

Oppression is widespread, or ongoing mistreatment. This isn't an "overly restrictive definition", it's straight out of the dictionary (I did this just for you):

oppression |əˈpreSHən|
noun
prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or control: a region shattered by oppression and killing.
• the state of being subject to such treatment or control.
• mental pressure or distress: her mood had initially been alarm and a sense of oppression.

There are cases of this though. Also, how many instances makes a pattern? A single instance obviously doesn't, you're right about that, but it seems like any plural of instances would be sufficient to establish oppression to a degree that differs only in magnitude based on the size of that number.

As history played out, government force did play a role in ending the oppression of minorities. (If you want to give government all the credit, that's fine for the purposes of this discussion). Do some individuals discriminate? Sure. But a single white guy discriminating against a single black guy is no more "oppression" than would be the inverse. No industry – not a single large business – discriminates against any of the commonly recognized "minority" groups. After all, government has seen to it that they can't. Government has, of course, exempted itself, and discriminates wildly (indeed, at "oppressive" levels) in its passage and implementation of laws.

I don't buy it. Just because there is no formally codified oppression as policy doesn't mean that there isn't institutional oppression hidden at deeper levels. An example: a kid is a straight A student until the 3rd grade, at which point the distress of puberty reveals that they're transgender. Suddenly none of the teachers can read the kid's handwriting, the kid's attempts at engagement with the material are now "outbursts", there are complaints of "inappropriate and disruptive behavior" (intentionally left unspecified and never clarified even if requested), and the continuation of this "inappropriate and disruptive behavior" is "disobedience to authority". Suddenly a straight A student who was set for a gifted and talented program is an F student with behavioral problems headed for an alternative school where the abuse will be exponentially compounded, out of sight from mainstream america and with plenty of convenient excuses to justify it that nobody will ever dig into. This is the most obvious example I could think of because it involves two different interpretations of the same exact behavior at different times, so it's not meant to say anything about one minority group or another.

In Mormon Utah it's common to send your kid to a reeducation camp if they like dick too obviously. Most of what the average gay person considers discrimination is petty nonsense like being called names or not getting a tax break for having a **** buddy, and in that respect I think homosexuals have been placed substantially too high on the national agenda, whether in comparison to economic issues and foreign affairs issues or even in comparison to other minority issues, but that doesn't mean discrimination outside of the government doesn't exist. That's taking the argument too far.

Government has passed a narrow range of laws, but criminals don't obey laws, find creative ways to break them, and exist everywhere.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
You think that Libertarians own the word. I figured as much, but no, it has a history of being used in other contexts in academic texts.

:rolleyes:

My dictionary:

coerce |kōˈərs|
verb [ with obj. ]
persuade (an unwilling person) to do something by using force or threats: they were coerced into silence.
• obtain (something) by such means: their confessions were allegedly coerced by torture.

From a strictly semantic (completely morally neutral) perspective, the water-seller doesn't "coerce" the man to die in the desert. In fact, from a strictly semantic perspective, the man would be coercing the unwilling water-seller, were that the case. Even if the water-seller were wrong, and the man right, in doing so.

You misused the word. It's OK, really. I only mention it because it's ironic, you having gone there first. :lol:

What is the scenario at hand? I don't think that's been defined.

Look at the thread title. It's obvious that the context of the putative oppression would be gays in America.

I stand by my assertion: there is no "private" oppression of gays in America today. There may be individual discrimination against gays by straights (or vice versa), but there is no widespread, ongoing mistreatment – except, of course, for government.

I also stand by the implication that this is true for other minorities as well.

There are cases of this though. Also, how many instances makes a pattern? A single instance obviously doesn't, you're right about that, but it seems like any plural of instances would be sufficient to establish oppression to a degree that differs only in magnitude based on the size of that number.

I'm sure you could find a "plural of instances" of black-on-white crime during the era of white oppression of blacks. Had these black criminals suddenly become the "oppressors"?

I don't buy it. Just because there is no formally codified oppression as policy doesn't mean that there isn't institutional oppression hidden at deeper levels. An example: a kid is a straight A student until the 3rd grade, at which point the distress of puberty reveals that they're transgender. Suddenly none of the teachers can read the kid's handwriting, the kid's attempts at engagement with the material are now "outbursts", there are complaints of "inappropriate and disruptive behavior" (intentionally left unspecified and never clarified even if requested), and the continuation of this "inappropriate and disruptive behavior" is "disobedience to authority". Suddenly a straight A student who was set for a gifted and talented program is an F student with behavioral problems headed for an alternative school where the abuse will be exponentially compounded, out of sight from mainstream america and with plenty of convenient excuses to justify it that nobody will ever dig into. This is the most obvious example I could think of because it involves two different interpretations of the same exact behavior at different times, so it's not meant to say anything about one minority group or another.

There are any number of behavioral issues which will, rather arbitrarily, be considered "disruptive" and lead to this sort of "academic shunning" by schools.

Of course, these schools are run by government, so any oppression they engender is, yet again, caused by government. (Sorry, you can't have that one.
wag_finger.gif
)

There are, of course, private schools of the conservative and hyper-tolerant varieties, so it's hard to say anybody's "oppressed" in that regard.

In Mormon Utah it's common to send your kid to a reeducation camp if they like dick too obviously. Most of what the average gay person considers discrimination is petty nonsense like being called names or not getting a tax break for having a **** buddy, and in that respect I think homosexuals have been placed substantially too high on the national agenda, whether in comparison to economic issues and foreign affairs issues or even in comparison to other minority issues, but that doesn't mean discrimination outside of the government doesn't exist. That's taking the argument too far.

For the gays I know, it's not really about the tax benefits. They tend to recite horror stories of partners dying while visiting "unfriendly" family in states which don't recognize their marriage, and being as a result totally left out of everything from the funeral to the inheritance.

And, yes, I would say that entire states doing something qualifies as "oppressive", by definition.

As for Mormon Utah, you've got me there. But, I could say it doesn't count. I'm fairly certain Mormon Utah would discriminate/oppress me, and I'm white, heterosexual, not a criminal, etc. :lol:

Government has passed a narrow range of laws, but criminals don't obey laws, find creative ways to break them, and exist everywhere.

Which laws are you talking about now?

If you're talking about discrimination by serious criminal gangs, I'd say it's hard to qualify the inability, due to racism, to work as a criminal as "oppression".

Otherwise, I'd be interested if you could provide an example of a single legitimate industry or major business (outside of government) in America which "oppresses" any commonly recognized minority group.

DrakeZ07

I have a rainbow Confederate naval jack. The stars, and X laid on a LGBT pride flag. My 'tea party' neighbor has torn it down many times, and I just hoist up yet another. I admit, I only fly it on my property next to my mailbox, just to p-ss off my neighbor, xD.

Last edited:

45 Fan

LMAO...I would get surveillance cams and report him...thatll piss him off more...

Brace

Look at the thread title. It's obvious that the context of the putative oppression would be gays in America.

Well that's the thread, but the statements used exceeded that focus.

I'm sure you could find a "plural of instances" of black-on-white crime during the era of white oppression of blacks. Had these black criminals suddenly become the "oppressors"?

Generally the concept of oppression needs to be established against the context of social power at the time. Since whites ran all of the institutions, both public and private, this made their bad actions socially entrenched. So I suppose the difference is social inertia. When there's no broader institutional inequality perpetuating and encouraging bad actions, it's just one person acting badly towards another.

There are any number of behavioral issues which will, rather arbitrarily, be considered "disruptive" and lead to this sort of "academic shunning" by schools.

Of course, these schools are run by government, so any oppression they engender is, yet again, caused by government. (Sorry, you can't have that one.
wag_finger.gif
)

There are, of course, private schools of the conservative and hyper-tolerant varieties, so it's hard to say anybody's "oppressed" in that regard.

So because there are individual schools where oppression doesn't exist, it doesn't exist at all? I think your requirement for prevalence is a little bit too restrictive. There are both public and private schools where this sort of behavior happens, and children are limited not only by the ability of their parents to move them into a different school, but by their willingness to do so which can itself be part of the problem. The existence of plural groups for whom this applies doesn't make its applicability to one group in particular any less real, if anything it just gives additional examples (although identity politics has yet to codify most of the things you're talking about into socially recognized minority status, but that's another semantic issue).

Regardless, I'm not convinced it can properly be called oppression caused by government. In the situation you're describing it's enabled by government, but at least in those cases where it isn't government policy, it is the actions of individuals in collusion. The problem is social. If you take those same people and give them any sort of power it's not hard to see them similarly abusing it, so it's easy to anticipate that similar issues sometimes crop up in workplaces or other private institutions.

For the gays I know, it's not really about the tax benefits. They tend to recite horror stories of partners dying while visiting "unfriendly" family in states which don't recognize their marriage, and being as a result totally left out of everything from the funeral to the inheritance.

These are serious issues, though my own experience is that they generally take a back seat to more abstract argument for equality under the law (which is valid, but doesn't establish the magnitude of the issue as equivalent to what they want to claim it is) and discussion of taxes and benefits. The medical visitation and inheritance thing is serious. I think in principle these problems could be resolved without gay marriage, but nevermind. As long as the state has its hand in marriage then gays have a point by the equality under the law argument. I don't really object to gay marriage, I'm just easily annoyed by gay people and their rhetoric.

And, yes, I would say that entire states doing something qualifies as "oppressive", by definition.

I wasn't arguing against the existence of government oppression, just stating it isn't the only form of it. Gay rights rhetoric is just weird. "Even today society harbors social prejudice against gays, therefore we should be able to get married", or "Here are some horror stories about hate crimes, therefore we should be able to get married" are common (and apparently completely acceptable) non-sequiturs. I would think that ENDA would be the primary focus of gays if they were really interested in addressing problems by level of importance. My impression is that they've gone after DADT and marriage as part of a PR campaign, since military service and monogamous life are closely associated with mainstream protestant values. In essence I think the primary motivation was to establish gays as capable of cultural assimilation and to distance them from "gay lifestyle" stereotypes, and that the actual material benefits of these policies was very close to irrelevant in formulating this strategy, whether real or not. I think they are real, but limited.

As for Mormon Utah, you've got me there. But, I could say it doesn't count. I'm fairly certain Mormon Utah would discriminate/oppress me, and I'm white, heterosexual, not a criminal, etc. :lol:

As previously that doesn't follow. It just means there are additional groups who would be subject to discrimination under similar circumstances. I don't see that discrimination as equal in magnitude though. Being sent to a camp to be brainwashed is different in scope from what, say, an atheist might endure.

Which laws are you talking about now?

State anti-discrimination laws. Whether it's housing laws, public accommodations laws, transgender bathroom laws, whatever. At a federal level the EEOC ruled that transsexuals are covered under title 9, and there's the Mathew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. hate crimes prevention act. There are all manner of laws. Maybe not enough laws. But then what does "enough" mean in a context where criminals don't obey the laws anyway? If some thug wants to rough up a transsexual for using the "wrong" bathroom then they're not going to be persuaded not to by being informed of the law, and if someone doesn't feel comfortable working with a gay person they'll just invent an unrelated excuse to not hire or to fire them. The possibility of a profitable lawsuit exists in some cases but that's contingent upon the resources of the individual and circumstances of the individual case, so on balance there are many cases where it can be gotten away with, and bigots have an incredibly keen eye for that information.

If you're talking about discrimination by serious criminal gangs, I'd say it's hard to qualify the inability, due to racism, to work as a criminal as "oppression".

I'm not sure where this even came from. No, I don't consider my inability to join the Crips as a white person or to join the Hell's Angels as a woman to be oppression.

Otherwise, I'd be interested if you could provide an example of a single legitimate industry or major business (outside of government) in America which "oppresses" any commonly recognized minority group.

If you're asking for evidence of a policy to this effect then of course I can't provide it, outside of religious institutions it isn't really beneficial to be on paper as having a problem with anyone these days. EEOC regulations only apply to businesses with more than 100 employees though, and 98% of businesses (accounting for 35% of the workforce) have less than 100 employees.

The point is that institutional power is commonly used against minorities even today. No, it isn't on the scale of slavery or apartheid or segregation or Jim Crow, that's a completely accurate observation, and discrimination no longer exists legally or institutionally as policy with the exception of a few cases of largely trivial significance. Essentially your whole argument rests on attempting to dismiss certain behaviors as not oppressive because of their scale though, and that's very fuzzy logic that easily lets you move the goalposts. I think it might very well be true that attempting to regulate the behavior of individuals is ineffective policy, but I'm not going to concede that the problems these sorts of policies are intended to address don't exist.

Last edited:

45 Fan

...do I HAVE to bring up the need for the next person to argue gay rights to buy me and my boyfriend kinky sex boots?...