Thread: Bars

Bars

Ok I realize that alcohol and guns aren't a good mix. I've heard mixed reviews on if you can carry in a place that serves alcohol. Thanks in advance.

I open carry into bars all the time. Its all about knowing what your limit is.

Campaign Veteran
    There is nothing in Oregon's statutes stating the one cannot carry a firearm into a place that sells alcohol. Of course the tresspass law always applies.

This also varies from state to state. WA for example lets you carry a firearm into a establishment that serves alcohol that does not restrict access to minors. So if there are minors that are not allowed, neither are your gun. Other states have 51% rules. If their revenue from alcohol is more than food, then you cannot carry.

Newport OR, The Tavern, Apollo, Szabbos, Moby Dicks and Rogue - Had my XD Compact 45 on my hip and XDs in my pocket

Bars

I go into Buffalo Wild Wings a lot to pick up orders and sometime to sit and have a beer since I live pretty much across the street. No one has ever commented on my 1911

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Our Buffalo Wild Wings here is Woodbride, VA have the dreaded sign banning firearms. They even had the gall to tell 8 plain clothed police to leave. Later they had to walk that back after the community outrage. I avoid the place like the plague.

I would think that if you had a beer every day then it probably would not affect your judgement but maybe a bit on reaction time...
    Last edited by JohnM15A; 07-03-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Banned
    every western I seen had folks belly up to the bar with the colt peacemaker ....

Quote Originally Posted by DougB View Post
    Well once you get past about a dozen pistols, each weighing 2 pounds, you really need a wheelbarrow or a squire.

Bars

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    every western I seen had folks belly up to the bar with the colt peacemaker ....
    And still had there wits about them

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crompton View Post
    Ok I realize that alcohol and guns aren't a good mix. I've heard mixed reviews on if you can carry in a place that serves alcohol. Thanks in advance.
    Yep - guns and alcohol aren't a good mix.....strips the lubrication right off them

Seriously folks, this is just another OMG, scary, anti, ol' wives tale, blood in the street argument.

VA has no "bars". To serve alcohol a business must serve meals as it's primary revenue source; therefor all are restaurants. Until a couple of years ago no establishment in VA could allow CC if alcohol was on the menu, but OC was fine. Now CC is OK if you don't drink, but one can indulge if they OC. LEOs and Commonwealth Attorneys can drink no matter how they carry. Net negative effect of the change in the law? - nada, zip. Employees can be authorized to carry by the business owner.

BTW - who gets robbed and employees or customers shot? Fast food establishments where guns are not routinely present. Guns on the hips of LAC are the best protection against crime whether alcohol is served or not.....not the cause thereof.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB View Post
    Does knowing your limit change if you CC? Only thing that changes IMO is that others won't know/see that you are carrying - doesn't change anything of import.

One either conducts themselves responsibly or not. Criminals prefer to hide their tools. A properly holstered handgun is a great indicator of a LAC who will conduct him/herself within the moral tenants of our society.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin99 View Post
    There is nothing in Oregon's statutes stating the one cannot carry a firearm into a place that sells alcohol. Of course the tresspass law always applies.

This also varies from state to state. WA for example lets you carry a firearm into a establishment that serves alcohol that does not restrict access to minors. So if there are minors that are not allowed, neither are your gun. Other states have 51% rules. If their revenue from alcohol is more than food, then you cannot carry.
    To take your statement further, there is nothing in Oregon law prohibiting being flat out caca (for the censor software) faced and carrying. Probably not the brightest thing to do and probably not a good image to present, but it's legal.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    To take your statement further, there is nothing in Oregon law prohibiting being flat out caca (for the censor software) faced and carrying. Probably not the brightest thing to do and probably not a good image to present, but it's legal.
    Yep 100% legal. It is if you have to use that firearm while drunk you might have issues.

In Oregon that is.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    We still do that in Nevada.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I am generally of the opinion that if i am carrying my sidearm(oc or cc); just dont drink alcohol...go, eat with friends, hang out, but put the gun away before alcohol...its like DUI, except FUI; so drink responsible when carrying...

Quote Originally Posted by 45 Fan View Post
    ...so drink responsible when carrying...
    No need to add the part "when carrying."
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I just wouldn't do it at all. I need my wits, carrying or not carrying, for any situation.