• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vancouver OC Arrest

jhfc

Thanks for posting this.

I get the sense the Vancouver PD is not at all friendly to OC. I'm aware of at least two cases where the charges appeared trumped up and ridiculous and now, here is a third.

From those with experience, what can we do to exercise our right to carry and be free from LEO harassment?

It's infuriating to think the local government can ignore the law and actively work to trample our rights just because they "don't like it".

Russ

Thanks for posting this.

I get the sense the Vancouver PD is not at all friendly to OC. I'm aware of at least two cases where the charges appeared trumped up and ridiculous and now, here is a third.

From those with experience, what can we do to exercise our right to carry and be free from LEO harassment?

It's infuriating to think the local government can ignore the law and actively work to trample our rights just because they "don't like it".

This happened five minutes from my house....... There are local reports that the VPD has been instructed to make people that open carry "Miserable" I say the best thing to do is open carry as often as possible until the judges in Clark county get tired of trumped up charges and finally slap the VPD down. :mad:

Thundar

Open Carry Flash Mob

The way to defeat the ignorance is to display insurmountable stregnth and agility to the po-po. 20 or 30 open carriers coming together and breaking apart using flash mob assembly techniques would be a very nice first class for those that abuse a disabled veteran.

Russ

The way to defeat the ignorance is to display insurmountable stregnth and agility to the po-po. 20 or 30 open carriers coming together and breaking apart using flash mob assembly techniques would be a very nice first class for those that abuse a disabled veteran.

He has a hearing tomorrow at 8:30, Clark County court house, as many people as possible should show up for support of this disabled Vet. there are lockers to secure fireams.

Russ

Difdi

This happened five minutes from my house....... There are local reports that the VPD has been instructed to make people that open carry "Miserable" I say the best thing to do is open carry as often as possible until the judges in Clark county get tired of trumped up charges and finally slap the VPD down. :mad:

If it is official policy, then it would be a violation of Title 18, Chapter 13, Section 241 of the US Code -- Conspiracy against rights. That there is a federal level felony and the entire chain of command might be guilty. Perhaps a complaint to the FBI or DOJ is in order?

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/crm/241fin.php

Last edited:

jhfc

Someone needs to get all of the communications and dash cam video as well before it disappears.

Can anyone do this or only involved parties?

Can FOIA be used to determine if the VPD does have marching orders to make life miserable for OCers?

What is the correct legal approach to get them to behave themselves?

EMNofSeattle

If it is official policy, then it would be a violation of Title 18, Chapter 13, Section 241 of the US Code -- Conspiracy against rights. That there is a federal level felony and the entire chain of command might be guilty. Perhaps a complaint to the FBI or DOJ is in order?

Great legal theory, the problem will be getting Jenny Durhkan to care about your open carry rights. And that's assuming the FBI will even exert the effort to return your letter.

Difdi

Great legal theory, the problem will be getting Jenny Durhkan to care about your open carry rights. And that's assuming the FBI will even exert the effort to return your letter.

You're absolutely right. We should turn in our guns immediately and tear up our CPLs. After all, expecting that those people sworn to uphold the law would actually keep their oaths is stupid.

rapgood

Someone needs to get all of the communications and dash cam video as well before it disappears.
Can anyone do this or only involved parties?
Anyone can make a PDR. But, if it is an open case, they'll likely tell you, "No."

Can FOIA be used to determine if the VPD does have marching orders to make life miserable for OCers?
One can ask. Do you really think they'll tell you? It's highly unlikely that there is an "official" policy directing them to violate peoples civil rights.

What is the correct legal approach to get them to behave themselves?
Ask nicely. When they say no, sue 'em.

rapgood

For those of you who have asked, the Washington Rules of Professional Conduct state:

RPC RULE 7.3
DIRECT CONTACT WITH PROSPECTIVE CLIENTS

(a) A lawyer shall not directly or through a third person, by in-person,
live telephone, or real-time electronic contact solicit professional
employment from a prospective client when a significant motive for the
lawyer's doing so is the lawyer's pecuniary gain, unless the person contacted:

(1) is a lawyer;

(2) has a family, close personal, or prior professional relationship
with the lawyer; or

(3) has consented to the contact by requesting a referral from a not-
for-profit lawyer referral service.

Amicus

A Monell claim in US District Court would likely be more effective.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
From those with experience, what can we do to exercise our right to carry and be free from LEO harassment?.

Take them to court.

... I say the best thing to do is open carry as often as possible.....

This is Truth!!

The way to defeat the ignorance is to display insurmountable stregnth and agility ......

This is Truth!

though I wonder how someone gets trespassed if they aren't at the property and they left when they were asked to.

This way......
Tuesday morning, Worley pleaded not guilty to a charge of trespassing with a weapon capable of producing bodily harm. Police said he first went to a Burgerville restaurant with a rifle slung over his shoulder. An employee called 911.
Vancouver police spokeswoman Kim Kapp said a security guard told Worley to leave and called police when he didn’t.
By the time police arrived, Kapp said Worley had walked to a fireworks stand in the Big Al’s parking lot. Employees closed the stand because they were worried about what Worley was up to. An employee at Big Al’s called 911 while the business went into lockdown.

hermannr

Take them to court.

This is Truth!!

This is Truth!

This way......
Tuesday morning, Worley pleaded not guilty to a charge of trespassing with a weapon capable of producing bodily harm. Police said he first went to a Burgerville restaurant with a rifle slung over his shoulder. An employee called 911.
Vancouver police spokeswoman Kim Kapp said a security guard told Worley to leave and called police when he didn’t.
By the time police arrived, Kapp said Worley had walked to a fireworks stand in the Big Al’s parking lot. Employees closed the stand because they were worried about what Worley was up to. An employee at Big Al’s called 911 while the business went into lockdown.

If he didn't leave, why was he not still there when the police arrived?

deanf

Sounds like this whole thing maybe hinges on him re-entering property he was ejected from, just to get his car which was parked on said property. I'm not aware of any "I just need to get my car" exemptions to our state's trespass laws.

My heart is with this guy, but I think we need to keep all possibilities in mind here . . .