• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cpl ?

MKEgal

Short answer: yes you may; you are not restricted to one self-defense tool.

Is there any law which says you can't carry more than one? The ways laws work in the USA, if there isn't a law saying something is illegal, then it's legal.

Is there any indication in the application process for your license either that you are restricted to one pistol, or that you must apply for another CPL in order to carry a second?

Last edited:

TheQ

If I have a concealed "pistol" licence, can I carry more than one concealed ?

Some LEOs have tried to state otherwise, but there is no case law or statute saying you can/can't. I know many people, including myself, who have carried more than one pistol concealed. I've heard stories of certain LEOs saying otherwise, but I've not heard of anyone being arrested or charged. The law makes no provision for you to get a second CPL. I'd go with the statute Jared referred to in post #2 of this thread.

FreeInAZ

Wayne Co. Prosecutor Kim Worthy went on the record saying she would prosecute anyone (other than LE) who carried more than one pistol for protection CPL holders too. This was a couple of years back, IIRC. She seems to have backed away from that after some well armed picnics on belle isle took place. ;). However it does go to show, that those running the show will blurt out anything they can to keep the little people "in/under" their all knowing control. :( Luckily she got called out and walked away from the issue. Things could have gone much differently if some brave folks had not shown up with their guns to push the issue.
Viva freedom! Viva the people of MI! (Minus tyrants). :D

TheQ

Wayne Co. Prosecutor Kim Worthy went on the record saying she would prosecute anyone (other than LE) who carried more than one pistol for protection CPL holders too. This was a couple of years back, IIRC. She seems to have backed away from that after some well armed picnics on belle isle took place. ;). However it does go to show, that those running the show will blurt out anything they can to keep the little people "in/under" their all knowing control. :( Luckily she got called out and walked away from the issue. Things could have gone much differently if some brave folks had not shown up with their guns to push the issue.

Thanks for providing specifics. All I've heard we're stories and they were all before my time.

Bottom line: if you run into an anti-gun LEO and an anti-gun prosecutor, they can charge you with whatever they want -- whether or not they can make a case out of it. It's the sad reality of the "justice system" we live in.

Michigan Firearm laws are packed with ambiguity. There isn't much case law resolving the ambiguity either. There are very few black/white answers.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

If I have a concealed "pistol" licence, can I carry more than one concealed ?

If you have a DL & own more than one car can you drive them all? (not at the same time of course):p.

Until the rocket scientist in the MI legislature do something in writting to say you can't (that does not violate the MI & US constitution) , you can. However, there will always be those in LE who will attempt to impose their will as "law" so take precautions and be ready to fight for your freedoms. If you're not willing to do that, the games over before you began. Just my honest opinion. Stay safe.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Somewhere in my email, I have a email from the state AG's office, answering a question I put to them about carrying more than one pistol concealed on a CPL. While not put in the form of an opinion, it did come from their legal department, and said that there is no limit to the number of pistols I can carry concealed on my CPL. Naturally, there's a physical limit. :)

budlight

Kim Worthy is by no means a law scholar. She likely got into law school for reasons other then her LSAT scores.