Thread: NSSF Gun control survey finds most first-time buyers are subject to background checks

NSSF Gun control survey finds most first-time buyers are subject to background checks

"Almost all first-time gun purchases in 2012 were made at retailers or other venues where background checks are required, according to a study that suggests that most such sales are already subject to the strict checks that have become the centerpiece of the gun control debate. About 7 percent of first-time buyers bought firearms at gun shows, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s survey, while 7 percent purchased their firearms from family members or friends." http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ers-ar/?page=1

Probably the more experience you get with a gun, the more likely you are to engage in private transactions,” said Gary Kleck, a criminology professor at Florida State University. “If you survey only first-time buyers, it will overestimate the number that goes to a gun store. I would not generalize [to] everyone who’s bought a gun.”
    The survey -

https://www.nssf.org/members/viewFil...Report2013.pdf
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-02-2013 at 07:37 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

A retail purchase is easy for a future gun owner. Private sales and gun show sales carry more risk. It is not the seller or buyer that is the issue for me, it is the gun that is the issue. "Savvy" gun owners should think about the history of the gun that they purchase via a private sale regardless of the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    A retail purchase is easy for a future gun owner. Private sales and gun show sales carry more risk. It is not the seller or buyer that is the issue for me, it is the gun that is the issue. "Savvy" gun owners should think about the history of the gun that they purchase via a private sale regardless of the venue.
    I'm looking at just this situation - I'm talking to a private individual here in Texas to buy a hard-to-find but still manufactured handgun. He says he's the original owner, but since I'm not planning to do a background check on him, (1) could obtain the Factory letter on when produced, (2) would want to perform an anonymous check on the s/n of the gun to ensure it is not (a) reported stolen, (b) currently not linked to previous crime (which if later linked to an old crime and I currently own it.....), (c) associate the S/N with the seller or the buyer going forward, and (3) get a better insight to the current owner of the gun and his veracity.

If guess if things just don't feel right, I can always bide my time for another seller to surface.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Banned
    And? These BR chks are BS. Why even try to say "people already go through BR chks"...it plays right into the anti's hands.