Thread: Police officer too distraught to kill wounded deer, offered firearm to civilian

Police officer too distraught to kill wounded deer, offered firearm to civilian

A Richmond man claims a police officer who responded to an accident involving a young deer handed the officer’s loaded gun to a civilian to euthanize the badly injured animal.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...nclick_check=1
    Conflicted on this one regarding disciplinary action for the officer. But, a officer must never relinquish his service weapon unless authorized to do so under the law. Is this a policy issue or a legal issue?

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    But, a officer must never relinquish his service weapon unless authorized to do so under the law.
    Cite the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Is this a policy issue or a legal issue?
    RPD Maj. Kevin Wampler this week said if the allegations are determined to be true, the officer would face disciplinary action for violating department policy. He said the alleged act is not a criminal violation.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Police officer too distraught to kill wounded deer, offered firearm to civilian

Whether or not he broke the law, this was just plain dumb. Also, if he can't do his job, he should choose another career.

I suspect that the "alleged act" is the handing the pistol to a civilian. Now, was the civilian a prohibited person? It seems that shooting the wounded deer is not unlawful, and it appears that handing his pistol over to a civilian is not unlawful. And the article seems to indicate that the civilian who shot the wounded deer may not be a prohibited person. So, it may be likely that the cop did not violate Indiana law.

As to "cite the law", please note my use of a '?' when posing a question regarding Indiana law on the issue of a cop handing his pistol to a civilian.

If the story is true, the officer needs to find another line of work. In most states a officer can commandeer a citizen to perform tasks, that I have no problem with. What is of concern is the officers own safety, if not this situation, then another where the officer might hesitate to save his own life.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

On the one hand, we have officers that have no qualms about shooting a beloved family pet just because 'it might bite'
    and
    on the other hand, we have officers that have extreme qualms about shooting a defenseless, injured animal.

I think I know what sort of officer I prefer to have answer any call for assistance I need.

Banned
    Not a dog eh ?

A deer eh ?

To squeamish eh ?

I don't care if he hands his gun over to someone ... he would be liable for issues though.

He'll get employee of the month for this one !

Funny story.

What would have happened if the Citizen had a negligent discharge and shot the LEO? This conduct boggles the mind.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Dunno a whole lot about cops and the rules they work under concerning their armament, but I do know that, when I was still AD, if I had ever handed my firearm to a civilian, loaded or unloaded, I would probably have faced, at a minimum, a Field Grade Article 15. More likely I would have faced Summary Courts Martial.

Sorry that the officer is too tender-hearted to do his job; perhaps he needs to be in another line of work. Euthanising a sick, injured, or even dangerous animal is a task that no one with any kind of conscience likes to do, but it is one that occasionally has to be done as in this case.

Handing his service weapon to another person in that situation calls into my mind his ability to make the correct call in a crisis situation.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Re: Police officer too distraught to kill wounded deer, offered firearm to civilian

Did he do a background check, first?

"Why are carrying a gun around? I don't know you, you may have just robbed a gas station"

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians." - George Mason

Seems like a bad idea.