• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lunch Box 1911

WalkingWolf

I would imagine a lunch box gun is like lunch box tools, or any part pirated out of a factory by workers. It used to be common many years ago. I would imagine the legality would be whether the company was willing to prefer charges. In the case of a old gun I doubt it, but if it is a current manufactured gun I would guess charges would be filed.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIuo0KIqD_E

Seems to me I heard that applied to some of the old rattle-traps that were guaranteed to have no two parts from the same original gun.

Back when they were churning out 1911s almost as fast as they were spitting out Jeeps (the original) and Liberty Ships. You could slap parts from one factory together with parts from another factory and walk away with a functional firearm. If it did not start out life as an amalgamation of red-headed stepchild parts it probably came close to that by the third time a unit armorer had it through for cleaning.

In 1971 every 1911 in the 1st Marine Division went through cleaning and refitting. They came in by the footlocker, where young privates stripped them down to component parts which went into large (100 pound + worth of parts) wire baskets that were sent through hot acid degreasing and ultrasonic cleaning, then dipped in some sort of CLP before being dumped out on a table for the actual armorers to check for spec. If a part passed it went into a footlocker. When the footlockers for all the component parts were full they were brought together for an assembly line procedure. It would have been a miracle at least one magnitudes greater than the First Coming for a gun to be put together will all original parts. But every 1911 that came off that line fed and fired even if they had to be beaten into submission before they would.

And yes, I would have picked one up and trusted my life to it. It's how JMB (PBUH) intended for it to be.

stay safe.
stay safe.

WalkingWolf

My first 1911 was a rattletrap, a old gunsmith had it in the bottom of a box. It was rusted, the slide would barely move, and all the springs were shot. I bought from him replacement springs, took the thing home and soaked it in carburetor cleaner. Barrel was a mess, but still had riffling, almost all the stampings were wore off. But once she was put together she run like a race car. I traded that old singer, yes I said singer for a brand new Colt Gold Cup. If I had any idea what that sewing machine was worth I would have never let it go. I ended up selling that Gold Cup a few years later too.