• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Supreme Court Rules Fifth Amendment Has to Actually Be Invoked

The Big Guy

Basically, say "I am taking the 5th and then SHUT THE F--- UP !!!! " Here is the link. Please read. Your freedom may depend on it in a self defense shooting.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/06/17/supreme-court-rules-fifth-amendment-has

NAVYBLUE

Does the same apply to the 4th? If a cop decides to walk into your home without a warrant, unless you are there and tell him no, is he free to come in and rifle through your sock drawer? Oh, that's right, the patriot act, they do.

TBG

mbogo470

Does the same apply to the 4th? If a cop decides to walk into your home without a warrant, unless you are there and tell him no, is he free to come in and rifle through your sock drawer? Oh, that's right, the patriot act, they do.

TBG

TBG,

I do not believe that the Patriot Act extends any additional 'authority' to state and local police, only Federal law enforcement.

mbogo

davidmcbeth

Banned

TBG

I came home one day and found a soldier in my bed ...

I said "hey man! 3rd amendment"

he said "you did not tell me not to quarter here, sucks to be you"

The Big Guy

Miranda

Just thinking, what does this decision do to Miranda? "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

Don't they have to change it now to say something like: " You have the right to remain silent, but only if you tell me you’re not going to talk and wish to invoke your 5th amendment right. Anything you say, or your silence, can and will be used against you in a court of law."

Of course they won't change it to say "5th amendment right" because in newspeak "right" has been changed to "privilege".

TBG

The Big Guy

since when is a right subject to a vote? Even a SCOTUS vote?

There you go with that logic stuff again. As I said, you have no rights, only privileges. Don't forget that all animals are crated equal, just some are more equal than others (Animal Farm). Keep your place slave...

TBG

davidmcbeth

Banned
There you go with that logic stuff again. As I said, you have no rights, only privileges. Don't forget that all animals are crated equal, just some are more equal than others (Animal Farm). Keep your place slave...

TBG

sorry masta .... I'll crawl back into my hole ....

usmcmustang

[h=2]Supreme Court Rules Fifth Amendment Has to Actually Be Invoked[/h]
Yeah... so much for the "government" respecting the Bill of Rights... it's only a "right" if one "claims" it to be... otherwise the "government" can and will do whatever it wants whenever it wants. But I already knew that. And we think there's such a thing as checks and balances... there's no such thing; the "government" is the "government," no matter if it "wears" long black robes, slick tailor made suits, or overalls.

NAVYBLUE

TBG

TBG,

Unfortunately a majority of Americans "think" the Patriot Act gives the police license to run roughshod over your rights. I have grown quite concerned about the "militarization" of local and state police to the point where they "think" they are the FBI/BATF/TSA all rolled into one since 2001. As yet, there haven't been any major USSC court decisions where police try to act like Homeland Security and get their asses handed to them. See, the Feds through Obama stimulus money have been beefing up local cops to "keep" the sheep inline. All it takes is the right USSC decision against them to quash this crap.

IF, a police officer were to trespass on my property and was not pursuing a crime suspect or conducting a fact finding quest concerning an alleged crime, I would sue the department AND him personally. I have the time and the money.

IANAL, but research over the years convinces me I can sue him criminally and civilly as did the family of the the O.J. Simpson murders, They did win in civil court. The best way to stop officers from doing what they do is when they lose their house, car and all their possessions. You go after their homeowners insurance company, their auto insurance company and then themselves personally. Word gets around real quick when they lose.

Oh, ****. I hope the No Surveillance Activity is reading this.

NAVYBLUE