Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your introduction to OC?

What was your introduction to OC?

I mean besides LEO, security, Reenactors, etc.

For me it was Spring of '93. I had just arrived in Carson City from the SF Bay Area and stopped at a Chevron for smokes and sodas. Went to pay and there stood a guy in front of me wearing a black cowboy rig and had a case of beer in each hand.

Did I fear him? Not even close. Did I tell people back home what I had seen? Yep. You bet I did, as it was the coolest thing I had ever seen anyone do (OC) up to that point in my young life.

I learned at that point that freedom really did exist East of the state line, and have not felt right in CA since.

There was a 2A protest over in Carson City it was the first time I ever openly carried. I have been CC for years I got tired of buying pants a size too big and I honestly don't have anything to hide I am not ashamed.

I'd met enough people that did(at pro-gun meet n greets, read where others were doing it(on forums like this one)) and just started ocing, 'bout a year and a half ago AND it's more convenient !

Probably not one single incident that changed my opinion on it thou.

I can't see myself reverting back to cc. on ANY regular basis.

Hopefully others will see that they have such rights also, when they see me excersizing mine!!!

Open carry was the only way to do it Wis. for years I started when I turned 18 in the early 70's
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I was open carrying as a teenager while hunting, 1849 colt pocket revolver. I think I was around 16 when I got that little gun. I only carried hunting, or on the farm though. I was told not to carry it anyplace else or my dad would have a 1849 pocket colt instead of I. But I did carry a bb gun with me almost everywhere even before I was a teen. It was common in those days to see children with bb guns.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Right here on Open Carry dot Org

After our neighbor's house was broken into last winter (after his garage was broken into on 4 previous times) Mrs Rev and I decided it was time to arm ourselves. Iowa had previously passed (2011), what I believed at the time, was a "concealed carry" law.

Researching all that was necessary to obtain said permit I soon discovered this site and the fact that Iowa does not issue a "CC" permit, but rather a "Permit To Carry Weapons" which does not specify HOW a firearm must be carried..

Thanks to all of you here, and especially those on the Iowa sub-fourm, I now OC freely and without hesitation.

Peace and stay safe out there folks.

Edited for clarity...
    Last edited by RugarRev; 07-03-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Started in January of this year when I purchased my first hand gun. Did not have a CHP yet so had to OC. I now have a CHP and ocassionaly make use of it but prefer to OC for comfort and convienence.

Founder's Club Member
    I met a fella at a country gas station. He promoted VCDL to me.

While at a gun rights policy conference, I saw a few fellas wearing T-shirts lettered with "OCDO". I tried to sound it out. "Awk-dough", "Awk-doo". Couldn't figure it out.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I met a fella at a country gas station. He promoted VCDL to me.

While at a gun rights policy conference, I saw a few fellas wearing T-shirts lettered with "OCDO". I tried to sound it out. "Awk-dough", "Awk-doo". Couldn't figure it out.
    Try "acht dough" Use your German dialect, but do not spit. Or "oc" (as in the first syllable in octopus) "doo" (as in what you should not step in). Have heard it both ways. Personally prefer "Oh See Dee Oh".

I got started OCing when I realized that my shape did not allow comfort when using IWB holsters. OWB works like a champ for me.

Also, what's the point of having a BBQ holster for your BBQ gun if you are going to stuff both of them down your pants where nobody else can see them? (If a female of the species is going to wear pretty, frilly little bits of nothing and not let anybody know that's what she is doing, she's either confused about the term "sadistic" or there are other things going on that would keep me away no matter what she was wearing (or not wearing).

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    I've always pronounced it Oseedio. But, that's just me. I'm weird.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    In 1968 when I entered the world of hunting. I open carried a revolver along with my rifle. Then in 1970 (or maybe 1971) before heading out hunting, a friend and I stopped by a diner for a good breakfast. When we entered, most of the people in there were also hunters and a good many of them were openly armed. So we went back out to the car, got heeled, and re-entered the diner for a fine breakfast. But yes, hunting was when I OC'd in the "early" days.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 07-05-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

When I got stationed in Kentucky (Fort Knox) in 1975 and moved off post, I saw one of my neighbors openly wearing a gun in a hip holster. When I asked him about it, he explained that Kentucky was an open carry state. That was pretty much all I needed. I couldn't carry on post, but in our travels in Kentucky including Louisville/Jefferson County, I was armed. Same thing in Colorado when I was stationed at Fort Carson.

Once I retired and returned to Oklahoma in 1995, I got my Concealed Weapon License. As of 1 November 2012, the name of the license changed to Handgun License, and I stopped worrying about whether my handguns were concealed or not.

ECS
    "If the truth hurts, it should." - Dad

" A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

"The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter." - Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon

Grew up in Illinois,moved to Texas in 84,then NC in 2000.I NEVER heard of OC until a freind at work was telling me about the "free staters" in NH and watched some you tube vidios. I told him I would love to OC and he said I can in Nc, I told him Im gonna do that.That was 5 yrs ago and have been doing it ever since. I too am not ashamed of carrying my firearm and will defend this right the best I can.

May 17, 2012, the day I moved to the great state of Arizona!
    There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible to live without breaking laws. — AYN RAND

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Can't remember when I didn't OC......it was before dirt was invented.

South of the Ni River it's pronounced Oh see dee-oo by those indigenous to the area.

Tip your head back, listen to the fiddle, and let the boot stompin' begin.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-08-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95
    ... I'm weird.
    I can confirm that.

My first 'exposure' to OC was in the mid-70's from a gas station attendant who was properly dressed for the area in which she was working.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Banned

Fortunately, when you "confirmed that," you left my name off the quote.

Wait...aw crap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by b0neZ View Post
    I mean besides LEO, security, Reenactors, etc.

For me it was Spring of '93. I had just arrived in Carson City from the SF Bay Area and stopped at a Chevron for smokes and sodas. Went to pay and there stood a guy in front of me wearing a black cowboy rig and had a case of beer in each hand.

Did I fear him? Not even close. Did I tell people back home what I had seen? Yep. You bet I did, as it was the coolest thing I had ever seen anyone do (OC) up to that point in my young life.

I learned at that point that freedom really did exist East of the state line, and have not felt right in CA since.
    Logger Rodeo, Sedro Woolley, WA, July 1970. (I was fresh back from Vietnam 68-69). They had a "Quick draw" contest on main street. After the end of the contest I noticed all these people (not just the people in the contest) walking around with guns (mostly revolvers back then) on their hip. I went over to one of the contestants and asked about everyone open carrying. He told me that it was completely legal, no license required... so I went home, strapped on my colt revolver, and went through town. In and out of stores, SeaFirst Bank (now part of BoA), the library..a;; over town. Not one word. (negative or positive) been OC ever since. (I do have a CPL, but that is for when the weather is bad and I have a coat on)

A few years ago I was at a Dairy Queen in Greensboro NC and saw someone OC'ing. Wife asked if that was legal, I informed her that it was and within days I found this site and started OC'ing myself. To whoever that was I thank you.
    We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.

Thomas Jefferson

I have always had a passing interest in firearms - but it wasn't until I was living in Arizona for school that I learned I had ample access. Some friends took me shooting a couple of times and after that, I wanted to learn all I could about firearms ownership and carrying for self defense. I bought my Springfield XD 45 as a 21st birthday present, carried openly for the first time at a Chase bank and grocery store that I frequented and have carried ever since. I had to OC at the time since AZ didn't have its Constitutional Carry law yet, which I didn't mind). I have CC permits for a couple of reasons like vehicle carry or when I prefer to carry discretely. I like having the option to carry openly or concealed - I don't like states that mandate a particular mode of carry just as much as those that deny the right altogether.

I prefer OC for comfort and convenience, it is an excellent idiot deterrent, and I find I talk to people I WANT to be talking to when I OC.
    Last edited by acmariner99; 07-17-2013 at 11:35 AM.

I think there's only been a couple of times I've seen someone else OC, though it was generally illegal where I lived until two months ago.

The first time was at an OCDO breakfast in Richmond. No surprise there. The second was a guy at a grocery store - Walmart, I think, in Charlottesville.

I started to OC about a year ago, in the area near Branson, MO. OC is legal in Missouri, but they lack state pre-emption so you have to be damned sure you know where you are and what their laws are. I confirmed that Springfield and Ozark were good to go, and carried there every time I traveled through. When I moved to Virginia, I literally stopped at the welcome center on my way into the state and donned my holster. Since then, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've appeared in public unarmed. Aside from work and the occassional visit to a prohibited place, I OC everywhere I go.

A few years ago just before my 21st I was stabbed in the neck outside my apartments by someone who wanted money. After the police came took my statement, he asked me if I carried any weapons to protect myself? I asked like what? He told me all about OC and how to go about getting a CHL if I wanted one. The day after my 21st bought a 1911 .45 and take it everywhere. My first event was the packing heat meet and greet in Washington with GOGODAWGS and for that I thank both the police officer and Gogo

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Re: Introduction to OC

In my case, it began with OC of a knife (3" blade folder, on belt), that escalated to a 12" overall-length fixed blade, and only recently became a full-size 1911 in a leather OWB holster.
    I realized at a pretty young age (around 9-10) that criminals didn't follow the law (I still wonder when the antis will come to the same realization). Seeing folders and butterfly knives on school campus (grade, middle, and later high school) only strengthened my views (after all, the schools had those magical "No Weapons Allowed" signs). Now pretty much anyone that knows me understands that the RIGHT to self defense is one of my strongest convictions. Of course, it helps that I try to keep up on the law so I can cite state and federal cases to them (Warren v. District of Columbia usually gets them to clam up with all their hoplophobic rhetoric).

I don't remember the exact date, but it was several years ago. I had been CC for as many years as Oklahoma had the CWL. Somewhere along the way, I heard about this site. Since I travel to VA often, I read up on the laws and normal goings on in the area. A co-worker and I decided to take the plunge together. On a trip to Manassas, we went in the local Logans Steakhouse on Sudly Rd and walked up and asked for a table. Waiter asked if we were LE. I replied that we were just ordinary citizens. He said "Cool, follow me". At our hotel, after dinner, we ran into some FBI from Louisianna that didn't like OC. I calmly explained the law to them and we all went on our way. I OC'ed wherever and whenever I could. Last Nov. 1, OK was legal in OK and I have been OC since then.
    gogodawgs was along for another one of my early OC trips in the Seattle area.

Didn't consider or entertain the idea of OC or "being armed in public" until about a year ago when I moved to Virginia. However, when the recent publicity hit about our 2A rights being under attack I quickly learned that thankfully some rights do exist.

And now I want to ensure we never lose them. Simultaneously, it would be great to see those states (and DC) where the right is denied progress a little!
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast