• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What was your introduction to OC?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
ive also been kicked out of a store. i told the manager he just lost a $200+ a week customer due to the policy and he should seriously rethink that policy. havent been back since then as i am not allowed to open carry
Never hurts to politely contact upper management/corporate as you just might correct a local problem and reclaim your local shopping experience :)

teddyearp

May 17, 2012, the day I moved to the great state of Arizona!

Well, not exactly the same time for me, but Arizona played a huge part. I think it was about October 1995 on a trip to Tombstone, AZ. I walked into the gun shop (Spanenburg's?) there to get a much needed part for one of my C&B Colt clones. I asked about carrying and they told me that as long as a bit of it is visible, I would be good to go. So I aquired the part and repaired said pistol, put it in its holster at 11:30 and went on about my business. First person I came across was the town marshall. He took a look at me, then a quick glance at my pistol. We nodded at each other and both went about our business.

I had a couple other positive experiences in AZ in 1996 which led me to relinquish my citizenship to the CSSR and move to AZ permanant like in 1997.

Afterwards, I found AZ very OC friendly in my varied experiences there.

And now it's even better there in AZ being a constitutional carry state.

But now I don't OC much in WA as IMHO it's a waste of time to try to switch from OC (and loaded, the pistol that is) while inside and outside of your vehicle here in WA.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
But now I don't OC much in WA as IMHO it's a waste of time to try to switch from OC (and loaded, the pistol that is) while inside and outside of your vehicle here in WA.
Hate to see people cutting back on OC because CC has no educational value, but I understand the problem.

We came up with a solution, even named after us = the Virginia tuck. There was a time when we couldn't CC in a place that served alcohol, but we could OC so we improvised - worked too.

CCing with shirt or jacket, one can transition to OC by tucking the garment either between the grip and your side or behind the gun.

The Virginia Tuck

[FONT=&quot]
DSCN2447.jpg
[/FONT]

HPmatt

Well, not exactly the same time for me, but Arizona played a huge part.

Ditto on AZ - was consulting in Phoenix in 1983 and at the Circle K a guy talking on the payphone had a 14" Bowie knife on his belt - made an impression.

Have always duck hunted but never thought to CC (Texas) until some friends invited me to their shooting club for sporting clays. As part of the CHL process and visiting daughter in college in VA, figured out that Texas was one of just a few sissified states on this subject - the 2nd Amendment! OCDO helped to figure out peculiar rules of states driving to/from VA.

Have since started to agitate among friends and acquaintances about why not Texas OC - Sh-t we are behind OK on this now. Starting to ask politicians and candidates about the subject. One of our neighbors - Don Huffines is car dealer/land developer Tea Party guy running against our current 20 year sit-on-his-ass State Senator. Talked to Don and his son today about OC- son said he'd like to see any office in Dallas that had more guns than theirs… Sure wouldn't have been doing this two years ago.

BLKH2O

Hate to see people cutting back on OC because CC has no educational value, but I understand the problem.

We came up with a solution, even named after us = the Virginia tuck. There was a time when we couldn't CC in a place that served alcohol, but we could OC so we improvised - worked too.

CCing with shirt or jacket, one can transition to OC by tucking the garment either between the grip and your side or behind the gun.

The Virginia Tuck

[FONT=&quot]
DSCN2447.jpg
[/FONT]

WOW ! really like the holster. What make is this

b0neZ

The Virginia Tuck

[FONT=&quot]
DSCN2447.jpg
[/FONT]

That's exactly how I carry in the cooler months.

Now I know the name of that style of carry.

Thanks Grapeshot!

teddyearp

Grapeshot, that is pretty cool, but the problem I have in WA with vehicle carry is that unless one has a CPL, you must unload your handgun. I refuse to have to 'apply' (read: register) to carry.

HPMatt, yeah looking at Texas' laws I too am going "Wow, no OC in Texas? The Don't mess with Texas state?" good luck on your efforts.

Last edited:

GhostOfJefferson

I'm a bit late to the party here, but the thread did get me thinking about something I hadn't actually mapped out in my thinking.

After my pop got out of the Marine Corps in the 1970's we ended up here in Ohio. The rest of my family already lived here and engaged in a very active "family gun culture" such that pretty much all the males hunted, and when they weren't hunting they were going to gun shows, or they were out shooting for fun. This is still true in the family, I swear we make the guys on Duck Dynasty look anti-gun, lol. I pretty much started carrying rifles as a youth (no idea on the legality of it back then, but all the boys had .22's they carried around to shoot down at the pond or wherever, it seemed like). It was just part of who I was and how I grew up.

Went into the military and that kind of thing disappeared from my radar through necessity and stationing (Cali, 'nuff said, and then Texas where you can't OC), though I remained an active target shooter and gun enthusiast. Forgot about carry (except when camping or hunting) until the CHL law hit here in Ohio back in 2004 (I think?) when the newspapers, in typical anti-gun fervor, went on and on about how we didn't need CHL's, why, if you felt just that paranoid and scared you could strap on a gun and open carry. They meant it in an anti-gun way of course, belittling any desire to carry whatsoever, but that particular argument stirred my interest greatly. From that point forward it was only a matter of time between that and me actually starting OC as an adult. I wanted to ensure I was on the right side of the law, and the moment I figured that I was, I strapped on the (at the time) GP-100 and all has been right with the world ever since.

So I guess mark me down as somebody who profited in a pro-2a way from anti-gun lunatics and their propaganda efforts.

trailblazer2003

I grew up in the fascist regime of NY, and have lived in Chicago and Baltimore for a couple years each. I went to Arizona for a vacation and my eyes were opened. Wasn't concerned like other former NYer's would be, just really dumbfounded that it was happening. Searched the internet and came across some Dave Ridley videos, and then quickly found OCDO.

Fallschirjmäger

I grew up in the fascist regime of NY, and have lived in Chicago and Baltimore for a couple years each. I went to Arizona for a vacation and my eyes were opened. Wasn't concerned like other former NYer's would be, just really dumbfounded that it was happening. Searched the internet and came across some Dave Ridley videos, and then quickly found OCDO.
For me, it was being stationed in Arizona; at a time when there was no concealed carry, only openly carried arms. Found it to be quite comfortable, especially when mountain biking up in the mountains.

l1fterp1nk

I am 19 years old and from Nebraska. I was just gifted a glock 23c from a family member of mine. I receive my extra magazine and OWB holster on Thursday and plan to open carry for the first time. I am overly excited, wish me luck! I currently carry Sabre Red, a Ka-Bar TDI, and an Emerson Mini Roadhouse. I'm excited to add this to my list force multiplication tools.

Last edited:

The Truth

I've always had either a pellet pistol or a BB gun from an early age as a kid, and a 30.06 once I turned 10, and have been shooting my whole life. My Dad drilled firearm safety into my head constantly. Once I moved up to Virginia and had a baby on the way, a rifle or shotgun wouldn't do so I bought a pistol. Before I bought it I researched VA firearms law and came across this site. I've been OCing ever since. Getting a permit was never an option, and I grew up in SC, hence why it took me so long to grow up and get a "real pistol." I guess it took me a while to wise up and let my roots spread to this fine, free Commonwealth!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I saw OC as a kid and teen in rural KY and IN and OC'd a sheath knife when not in school until moving back to IL as a teen but never heard any OC terminology. My interest in shooting drifted in early 20s. Re-found that interest about a decade ago just as the CC fight in MO was heating up. Studying CC led to the terminology and modern world of OC. Found OCDO about.8 years ago which is when the real introduction and learning about OC began.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped....... so I bought a pistol. Before I bought it I researched VA firearms law and came across this site. I've been OCing ever since. Getting a permit was never an option, and I grew up in SC, hence why it took me so long to grow up and get a "real pistol." I guess it took me a while to wise up and let my roots spread to this fine, free Commonwealth!
--snipped-- Studying CC led to the terminology and modern world of OC. Found OCDO about.8 years ago which is when the real introduction and learning about OC began.
It has been said that knowledge is power. I submit that knowledge also leads to freedom - freedom of thought and deed.

Only prerequisite is an open mind :)

FMJ 911

I began carrying right after my 21st Birthday. The only gun I had a holster for at that time was a 1930 Commercial "Broom-handle" Mauser Pistol in 7.63x25(Similar to the 7.62 Tokarev, but lower pressure). I went to a meeting in Bothell, WA around Christmas 2011 and after seeing some of the great folks there, I was hooked. After obtaining a proper holster I began to carry a Kimber Custom II 1911 in .45 ACP of which I carried for a time.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

I began carrying right after my 21st Birthday. The only gun I had a holster for at that time was a 1930 Commercial "Broom-handle" Mauser Pistol in 7.63x25(Similar to the 7.62 Tokarev, but lower pressure). I went to a meeting in Bothell, WA around Christmas 2011 and after seeing some of the great folks there, I was hooked. After obtaining a proper holster I began to carry a Kimber Custom II 1911 in .45 ACP of which I carried for a time.

Soooo,,, Do you still have that Broom handle Mauser?

If you do? You should Contact me,,, I likey...