• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lakewood OH to unlawfully seach backpacks...

Tucker6900

Happy Independence Day! Lakewood police will be, upon orders of the mayor, be doing random backpack searches at Lakewood park during the 4th celebrations.

Unlawful Bag search

Call the police and the Mayors office and demand that this be removed.

77zach

Last edited:

MKEgal

The article on the actual newspaper website says that gas & propane fueled grills are prohibited, so plain charcoal apparently is OK. It can't explode spectacularly.

But no shelters?? Looks like they really want their EMS people to be busy with heat-related injuries.

And the bag & cooler searches are right out. I'd be tempted to tape a copy of the 4A to the top of my cooler, beside a sign saying "come back with a warrant".

davidmcbeth

Banned
In Boston too ... no bag for you mommy .. keep your kids at home comrade.

Bostonians will face airport security-style measures if they wish to attend the city’s major annual July 4 event, with virtually all personal items being banned along with mandatory checkpoints, snitch hotlines and bag searches, begging the question – what “freedoms” are they supposed to be celebrating?

from: http://www.prisonplanet.com/some-am...ations-over-outrageous-security-measures.html

Gotta love prisonplanet

the good lord did not give me two hands to keep them in my pockets !

Ca Patriot

A few years ago I noticed my local police department was doing illegal backpack searches on 4th of July at a crowded area. This was before I started filming police.

Tomorrow, myself and my partner are going to be documenting the illegal searches and hopefully catching a lot of the police doing it.

The instances I saw in the past almost always involved a minor with a back pack and the police would approach and give them the "its illegal to have alcohol so we need to search your backpack" and then the cops would pressure and bully them with false representations of the law.

I'll be there with my camera this time.

Tucker6900

So, as I sat here thinking about this over and over, I couldnt stop myself from calling the Lakewood Ohio PD. I wanted to ask them what they planned on doing given the order received from the Mayor.

I spoke with a Captain Stone. He was very professional and courteous to my concerns. After explaining why I was calling, I flat out asked him if the police department was going to be performing randoms at the park. He assured me that there would not be randoms. He did say that if someone was acting suspiciously that it would be investigated. He added that if someone was asked to be searched and they refused, they would be required to leave the park. He said the Mayors decisions were just like every other reaction to the recent current events. I felt a little better as we spoke, but I am still reserved to think that there will be many violations of the 4th, 5th, and 1st amendment rights. I have little doubt in my mind that these searches will not happen. Its as damaging to this country as the Boston bombings. And for the police to even consider these unlawful policies makes it even worse.

Oh, and I asked him about open carry at the park. He stated, "Open carry is legal and I dont see a reason to prevent it."

mikeyb

So, as I sat here thinking about this over and over, I couldnt stop myself from calling the Lakewood Ohio PD. I wanted to ask them what they planned on doing given the order received from the Mayor.

I spoke with a Captain Stone. He was very professional and courteous to my concerns. After explaining why I was calling, I flat out asked him if the police department was going to be performing randoms at the park. He assured me that there would not be randoms. He did say that if someone was acting suspiciously that it would be investigated. He added that if someone was asked to be searched and they refused, they would be required to leave the park. He said the Mayors decisions were just like every other reaction to the recent current events. I felt a little better as we spoke, but I am still reserved to think that there will be many violations of the 4th, 5th, and 1st amendment rights. I have little doubt in my mind that these searches will not happen. Its as damaging to this country as the Boston bombings. And for the police to even consider these unlawful policies makes it even worse.

Oh, and I asked him about open carry at the park. He stated, "Open carry is legal and I dont see a reason to prevent it."

So it would be prudent to bring food in clear tupperware-like containers.

Tucker6900

"Required to leave the park"?? On what/whose authority?

Can they order you to get out of town before sundown too?

Exactly. More than likely it would end up being a contempt of cop...er...um I mean, DC trespassing charge.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I find it absurd that government is hosting the July4 celebrations on city property where bizarre searches are to occur.

I wonder what the government would do if those celebrations were ignored--the taxpayers demanding refunds--and hosted on private property by private groups?

I'd be willing to pay an entry fee to help reimburse private security guards whose main function was to keep out police.