• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wa resident looking to oc at canon beach/ seaside.

Munkey Butt

Will I have any issues ocing out and about for the day? Any particular laws I shod be concerned abou? Thanks guys.

Mattimusmaximus

None that I know of and I OC at both places at least once a month. No one has ever stopped me.

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Rebel

I'm gonna be there too, and giving some private instruction to a young man.

Being a Washington resident, I'm not very familiar with you guys' code.
Can somebody please point me in the right direction;
can I discharge firearms on the beach, towards the ocean?

hermannr

I'm gonna be there too, and giving some private instruction to a young man.

Being a Washington resident, I'm not very familiar with you guys' code.
Can somebody please point me in the right direction;
can I discharge firearms on the beach, towards the ocean?

Loaded OC is legal (in a vehicle too) in OR anywhere that has not made use of ORS 166.173. There are places that that have used ORS 166.173 to restrict loaded carry to anyone that does not have a license to carry a concealed weapon. (see ORS 166.260 for exceptios) You might also note ORS 166.050 (3). It states that a pistol carried openly in a holster on your hip is not to be considered concealed or subject to the restriction on concealed carry "in this chapter".

Firearms law begins at ORS 166.170 Link is for the whole chapter http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

I am also a WA resident, but I have a daughter in OR, as well as other relatives so I make it a point to keep up on their laws. Read their law, it is longer and a bit more convoluted than WA law, but it is mostly understandable.

Seaside and Cannon Beach are fine for loaded OC, without a license to conceal, Astoria (as well as Portland, Multnomah county, Salem, Beaverton, Tigard, Independence, Oregon City and if I remember correctly Lincoln City have restrictions. Mostly up around Portland.

There is some discussion and debate as to whether you may loaded OC in a restricted local government area on a WA CPL, or not. Astoria's code is written in a way that I would interpret as you could. ORS 166.173(2)(c) could be interpreted that way too.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370 (Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility).

(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3]

OH yes: unless you meet an exception in ORS 166.260... DO NOT CC IN OREGON WITHOUT AN OREGON CHL!

Also, make sure you read ORS 166.360 to 380! Unlicensed (No OR CHL) carry is restricted in "Public Buildings". See the referenced law to find out what is, or is not, considered a "public building"

Last edited:

Rebel

Since I do a fair amount of business in Oregon, I do indeed have a concealed permit.

What I'm unclear on, is can I discharger a firearm from the beach, over the ocean.
I can't seem to find the relevant code....

The only thing I can find is:

166.171 Authority of county to regulate discharge of firearms. (1) A county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the discharge of firearms within their boundaries.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section may not apply to or affect:

(e) A person discharging a firearm in the course of target shooting on public land that is not inside an urban growth boundary or the boundary of a city, if the discharge will not endanger persons or property.

Rebel

Last edited:

hermannr

Since I do a fair amount of business in Oregon, I do indeed have a concealed permit.

What I'm unclear on, is can I discharger a firearm from the beach, over the ocean.
I can't seem to find the relevant code....

The only thing I can find is:

166.171 Authority of county to regulate discharge of firearms. (1) A county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the discharge of firearms within their boundaries.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section may not apply to or affect:

(e) A person discharging a firearm in the course of target shooting on public land that is not inside an urban growth boundary or the boundary of a city, if the discharge will not endanger persons or property.

Rebel

The real problem shooting out to sea is skip, you know, like a rock skips. Can you see as far down range as the bullet will fly? I don't think so, therefore, not safe. Shooting into a sand dune would be a bit different, but you also have to remember, in Oregon, all beaches are PUBLIC HIGHWAYS. Do you shoot on, down or across a public highway?

Rebel

hermannr:

This seems like a rhetorical question to me.
Of course I would not shoot from, on, towards or along side of a public highway.

Which, of the face of it, would make shooting from, on, towards or along side of a public beach illegal.

If, indeed, public beaches are considered, legally, public highways.

This fact would trump all other comments made by everybody on this topic.
If it is illegal, then who cares about backstop, skip, sand dunes or anything else?

Hence my question: do you have a cite for claiming that oregon beaches are legally public highways?

Rebel Alliance

Rebel

Nevermind.
Doesn't matter if it's a public highway or not.

PARKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT
DIVISION 21

GENERAL OCEAN SHORE STATE RECREATION AREA RULES
Cultural, Historic, Natural and Wildlife Resources
Additional Rules for Natural Resource Protection:
(13) A person may not do any of the following within the ocean shore recreation area:
(c) Discharge any firearm, pellet gun, bow and arrow, slingshot, paintball gun, or other weapon or device capable of injuring any person or wildlife, except as allowed by section (14).

(14) The director may authorize the use of firearm and other predator control methods by designated individuals for natural resource management purposes.

hermannr

Oregon Beaches have been public highways since 1913. I did not find the specific legislation, but it is referenced here in this Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Beach_Bill

I knew it had to be pre the 1967 beach bill, but this is where I found it. When I was a kid I lived in Seaside...and drove on that beach myself. I remember being taught that all Oregon beaches from WA to CA were part of the public highway system, (and that was in the 50's).