Thread: Don't Claim to be a Law Enforcment Officer

Don't Claim to be a Law Enforcment Officer

I wanted to post on here something about claiming to be a LEO or even a security guard. I know 95% of you on here know better however I was embarased when I ran into a guy at a store the other day who claimed to be a member on here. Not only was this guy obnoxious with what he had to say however when approached by a lady asking why we were open carrying he handled it incorrectly. This is the opportunity to professionally and politely educate people. This guy immediately told the lady we were law enforcement officers, not only is this a FELONY however down right embarasing. After trying three times to correct this with the lady he kept interrupting and insisting we were LEO's. Finally I was able to inform the lady we were law-abiding citizens and explain the laws and that she could carry. She said she didn't know if she'd be comfortable and I informed her of self-defense and tactical classes. She walked away feeling more educated on second ammendment and claimed she was going to start carrying. If people give the wrong idea and handle this improperly this tells the sheep guns are bad and they leave with a bad taste in their mouths. Anyway I just wanted to pass this along.

Carry on

Impersonating a police officer or claiming to be a law enforcement official is dumb and could land a person in front of a judge. Not to mention giving folks that open carry a bad name. The anti's are looking for every little reason to argue against our rights. Let's not give them any extra amno.

Best regards.

CCJ

Banned
    You can always say you are a private attorney general !

Pick that instead of saying your a cop ... most states frown on this.

Although I am seldom surprised, I am still often amazed at the stupidity of others.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    You can always say you are a private attorney general !

Pick that instead of saying your a cop ... most states frown on this.
    This guy sounded more like a "private dick"

CCJ

We should all take a lesson on what NOT to say. This is uncool to say the least. I hope people dont OC because they have some fanasy about being in LE.

I have never met a OCer that acted in that manner. Maybe the OP can describe him for us, and another member may recognize who it is, so we can send him a PM. I wonder if the OP got a name.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Founder's Club Member
    I don't know about the lady, but I for sure would have been very uncomfortable around an armed fella willing to repeatedly lie about being LE, and trying to include me.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I have never met a OCer that acted in that manner. Maybe the OP can describe him for us, and another member may recognize who it is, so we can send him a PM. I wonder if the OP got a name.
    Since OCDO is well known for having a rather widespread policy of audio taping all encounters and having the audio running where legal, and operating in a low key manner, I do not find this account compelling at this point.

Should the OP or the 'alleged' forum member involved post at least a snippet of audio, one might be less dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Since OCDO is well known for having a rather widespread policy of audio taping all encounters and having the audio running where legal, and operating in a low key manner, I do not find this account compelling at this point.

Should the OP or the 'alleged' forum member involved post at least a snippet of audio, one might be less dubious.
    A audio would be nice to back up the claim, but as it is now this is the second outrageous claim from a new member with a low post count. I think it would help a lot for the member making these claims which come close to OC bashing to back them up.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post

<chuckle>

You don't remember Jonathon Imbody before he was banned, do you?

There's all kinds of people out there. We can expect a few of the...ummm...less thoughtful ones to try open carry. I mean really, we're all about the fundamental right of self-defense for everybody. We'd be kinda foolish not to expect some of the "everybody" to be a little...umm...less refined.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Must be catching. A guy on CSC has somebody on video OC'ing onto his property and claiming to be FBI while they were shooting. Video is not out because local LE is looking into charges. Seems the guy talked to LE before he decided to take matters into his own hands.

Bad idea, don't do it.

A audio would be nice to back up the claim, but as it is now this is the second outrageous claim from a new member with a low post count. I think it would help a lot for the member making these claims which come close to OC bashing to back them up.
    One day, I too will have close to 5k posts... and only then, I will have some credebility!
    SIC VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

μολὼν λαβέ - molṑn labι - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - COME AND TAKE!!!!

Re: Don't Claim to be a Law Enforcment Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm760 View Post
    One day, I too will have close to 5k posts... and only then, I will have some credebility!
    He's not being nit picky, it's a known thing on this forum that without: pictures or video or audio or a combintation of all.... it didn't happen..

This stops all of the "I built a working teletransportation device and use it to find ammo when it becomes available in the _______ land! I just beamed six pallets of 45acp here and it only cost me 2’ a round!"

I think most people are honest. A wise man once said: "Trust but verify."
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 07-08-2013 at 05:00 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Outrageous claims do earn one a position on a "watch list", most particular when the claim is not supported. At best such is an allegation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm760 View Post
    A low post count is not a measure of the lack thereof, but generally a higher count can be considered an indicator of longevity/survivability in a forum populated with pointed "show me" attitudes.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

AAAAAANNNND, here it is. No video, but looks like this guy is not going to have a good day.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...i-agent/nYgK5/

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    AAAAAANNNND, here it is. No video, but looks like this guy is not going to have a good day.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...i-agent/nYgK5/
    While he had a firearm displayed during the crime, it does not indicate he is a open carry person. It would appear he donned the firearm to convince the people to stop shooting. Not something we on OCDO advocate, condone, or that I know of do. May we will have to see if anybody recognizes him as one of us. Until then he is just another criminal who used a gun to commit a crime.

As far as the opening post, the opening poster has not returned to give a simple description of the man he claims ID not only himself as a LEO, but the OP also. While the OP opposed the claim openly, I just have my doubts without someone backing it up. If this guy is out there doing this, then more than one person has seen or heard it, and he would have been arrested.

BTW there have been several incidents of police impersonation in NC. Actually it is a little too common, but it has nothing to do with the lawful open carry of a properly holstered firearm.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Vwfinatic273 View Post
    This guy immediately told the lady we were law enforcement officers, not only is this a FELONY
    By the way: As far as I know (NCGS 14-277) impersonating a police officer is only a felony if a vehicle and blue light is involved, however, it's a bad idea none the less.

I am not a lawyer.
    Last edited by hotrod8812; 07-08-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moriar View Post
    I guess I should just be a bag of air and smash keys to earn internet credit
    Do you make claims that should be backed up, or backup your claims? Why should it be a problem how little or how much I post?

BTW actually I am a bag of flesh, bones, and blood, and some exchange of air. Much better than being full of the brown stuff...
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod8812 View Post
    By the way: As far as I know (NCGS 14-277) impersonating a police officer is only a felony if a vehicle and blue light is involved, however, it's a bad idea none the less.

I am not a lawyer.
    State laws will vary as to particulars.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Who?

Must have been during one of my regularly-schedules hiatuses.

Originally Posted by Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Who?

Must have been during one of my regularly-schedules hiatuses.
    User

kwik

r

nu

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    User

kwik

r

nu
    Ah.