• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't Claim to be a Law Enforcment Officer

Vwfinatic273

I wanted to post on here something about claiming to be a LEO or even a security guard. I know 95% of you on here know better however I was embarased when I ran into a guy at a store the other day who claimed to be a member on here. Not only was this guy obnoxious with what he had to say however when approached by a lady asking why we were open carrying he handled it incorrectly. This is the opportunity to professionally and politely educate people. This guy immediately told the lady we were law enforcement officers, not only is this a FELONY however down right embarasing. After trying three times to correct this with the lady he kept interrupting and insisting we were LEO's. Finally I was able to inform the lady we were law-abiding citizens and explain the laws and that she could carry. She said she didn't know if she'd be comfortable and I informed her of self-defense and tactical classes. She walked away feeling more educated on second ammendment and claimed she was going to start carrying. If people give the wrong idea and handle this improperly this tells the sheep guns are bad and they leave with a bad taste in their mouths. Anyway I just wanted to pass this along.

Carry on

countryclubjoe

Impersonating a police officer or claiming to be a law enforcement official is dumb and could land a person in front of a judge. Not to mention giving folks that open carry a bad name. The anti's are looking for every little reason to argue against our rights. Let's not give them any extra amno.

Best regards.

CCJ

davidmcbeth

Banned
You can always say you are a private attorney general !

Pick that instead of saying your a cop ... most states frown on this.

nobama

We should all take a lesson on what NOT to say. This is uncool to say the least. I hope people dont OC because they have some fanasy about being in LE.

WalkingWolf

I have never met a OCer that acted in that manner. Maybe the OP can describe him for us, and another member may recognize who it is, so we can send him a PM. I wonder if the OP got a name.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't know about the lady, but I for sure would have been very uncomfortable around an armed fella willing to repeatedly lie about being LE, and trying to include me.

Maverick9

I have never met a OCer that acted in that manner. Maybe the OP can describe him for us, and another member may recognize who it is, so we can send him a PM. I wonder if the OP got a name.

Since OCDO is well known for having a rather widespread policy of audio taping all encounters and having the audio running where legal, and operating in a low key manner, I do not find this account compelling at this point.

Should the OP or the 'alleged' forum member involved post at least a snippet of audio, one might be less dubious.
:cool:

WalkingWolf

Since OCDO is well known for having a rather widespread policy of audio taping all encounters and having the audio running where legal, and operating in a low key manner, I do not find this account compelling at this point.

Should the OP or the 'alleged' forum member involved post at least a snippet of audio, one might be less dubious.

A audio would be nice to back up the claim, but as it is now this is the second outrageous claim from a new member with a low post count. I think it would help a lot for the member making these claims which come close to OC bashing to back them up.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

<chuckle>

You don't remember Jonathon Imbody before he was banned, do you?

There's all kinds of people out there. We can expect a few of the...ummm...less thoughtful ones to try open carry. I mean really, we're all about the fundamental right of self-defense for everybody. We'd be kinda foolish not to expect some of the "everybody" to be a little...umm...less refined.

chiefjason

Must be catching. A guy on CSC has somebody on video OC'ing onto his property and claiming to be FBI while they were shooting. Video is not out because local LE is looking into charges. Seems the guy talked to LE before he decided to take matters into his own hands.

Bad idea, don't do it.

Jamesm760

A audio would be nice to back up the claim, but as it is now this is the second outrageous claim from a new member with a low post count. I think it would help a lot for the member making these claims which come close to OC bashing to back them up.

One day, I too will have close to 5k posts... and only then, I will have some credebility!:lol: ;)

FreeInAZ

One day, I too will have close to 5k posts... and only then, I will have some credebility!:lol: ;)

He's not being nit picky, it's a known thing on this forum that without: pictures or video or audio or a combintation of all.... it didn't happen.. ;)

This stops all of the "I built a working teletransportation device and use it to find ammo when it becomes available in the _______ land! I just beamed six pallets of 45acp here and it only cost me 2¢ a round!" :p

I think most people are honest. A wise man once said: "Trust but verify."

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Outrageous claims do earn one a position on a "watch list", most particular when the claim is not supported. At best such is an allegation.

A low post count is not a measure of the lack thereof, but generally a higher count can be considered an indicator of longevity/survivability in a forum populated with pointed "show me" attitudes.

WalkingWolf

AAAAAANNNND, here it is. No video, but looks like this guy is not going to have a good day.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/kannapolis-man-accused-impersonating-fbi-agent/nYgK5/

While he had a firearm displayed during the crime, it does not indicate he is a open carry person. It would appear he donned the firearm to convince the people to stop shooting. Not something we on OCDO advocate, condone, or that I know of do. May we will have to see if anybody recognizes him as one of us. Until then he is just another criminal who used a gun to commit a crime.

As far as the opening post, the opening poster has not returned to give a simple description of the man he claims ID not only himself as a LEO, but the OP also. While the OP opposed the claim openly, I just have my doubts without someone backing it up. If this guy is out there doing this, then more than one person has seen or heard it, and he would have been arrested.

BTW there have been several incidents of police impersonation in NC. Actually it is a little too common, but it has nothing to do with the lawful open carry of a properly holstered firearm.

hotrod08

This guy immediately told the lady we were law enforcement officers, not only is this a FELONY

By the way: As far as I know (NCGS 14-277) impersonating a police officer is only a felony if a vehicle and blue light is involved, however, it's a bad idea none the less.

I am not a lawyer.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I guess I should just be a bag of air and smash keys to earn internet credit

Do you make claims that should be backed up, or backup your claims? Why should it be a problem how little or how much I post?

BTW actually I am a bag of flesh, bones, and blood, and some exchange of air. Much better than being full of the brown stuff...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
By the way: As far as I know (NCGS 14-277) impersonating a police officer is only a felony if a vehicle and blue light is involved, however, it's a bad idea none the less.

I am not a lawyer.

State laws will vary as to particulars.