• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - Announcement - Background Check Fee Refund letters

Rich B

From: http://ctcarry.com/Announcement/Details/988d20c9-75f4-434c-bc77-558f6f671829

Background Check Fee Refund letters

Send in a letter requesting a refund of your $50 state background check fee

If you applied for and received a Connecticut Pistol Permit since October 1, 2009 and paid the $50 state background check fee, you should ask for a refund.

We detailed this issue on our website: http://ctcarry.com/BackgroundCheckFee/Fees

We also sought and obtained a large number of potential litigants for the background check fee lawsuit that is currently working its way through Federal court. These cases rarely move quickly, and we want to stay pro-active.

We have created form letters for permit holders who meet the above requirements to officially request a refund and we are asking everyone that has the means to do so to go ahead and send one in. Every permit holder deserves a refund, and we will certainly be seeking this in our case. But in the meantime, it is important to establish that we have all done everything that we can do. There is a possibility that it can be ruled that if you didn’t request a refund, you won’t get one, so get these letters sent in.

The form letters are here: http://ctcarry.com/Document?tag=65615e43-9fe1-4c21-9820-cdea8f133fef

Choose the appropriate file format for each of two letters: One for the local issuing authority (if you did not go through a resident trooper) and one for the DESPP.

Then fill in the letter, print it, and send it to both agencies.

The address for DESPP is:

Commissioner Reuben Bradford
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457

We recommend you send each letter in via certified mail with return receipt. Keep the return receipts on hand in case we need them. Optionally, if you have the know-how: scan or take a picture of it and send it to info@ctcarry.com noting what it is for. The same goes with any response you receive.

If you have any questions or issues with this process, email info@ctcarry.com

Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Richard Burgess
President
Connecticut Carry, Inc
Ph: 203-208-9577
Email: rich@ctcarry.com
http://ctcarry.com

Last edited:

heckle

What about people who have applied, paid the fees and are still waiting for permits to come through?

Rich B

What about people who have applied, paid the fees and are still waiting for permits to come through?

Personally, I would wait for the permit to come in.

I don't see a legal reason for you to not be able to send the letter, but I think it is a good idea to make sure you have your permanent permit in hand. I wouldn't want to find out that a local PD or DESPP is somehow delaying a permit, not that they have any statutory authority to do so, and trying to claim that they are trying to figure out the background check fee issue.

Simpler to wait. YMMV