• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Exercising your Fifth Amendment rights

rapgood

There are a number of videos on exercising 5th Am. rights related to carrying. Be advised that on June 17, 2013, the U.S. Supreme Court issued a ruling in Salinas v. Texas that instructs us that now we must actually state that we are exercising our 5th Am. rights or the fact that we simply did so with specifically invoking them can be argued to a jury as an indication of knowledge of wrongdoing.

So, if you're going to invoke your 5th Am. rights, be sure to say so explicitly or your silence may come back to haunt you.

decklin

Had no idea this happened. Thanks for posting this. It seems to me that if they're going to do something that affects everyone like this then there needs to be some kind of a public service announcement.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Had no idea this happened. Thanks for posting this. It seems to me that if they're going to do something that affects everyone like this then there needs to be some kind of a public service announcement.

Yeah, like the lapdog media is going to announce that.

Actually, it did get a lot of "airtime" in alternative media. For example, libertarian websites, legal websites, and so forth.

In today's world, you have to actively seek out information by selecting the media you want to monitor. People are doing it already--this is why the lamestream media has seen its share sliding.

jhfc

Is it sufficient to say "I'm not going to answer any questions" or do you need to specifically invoke the 5th? Something like "on the advice of my attorney, I'm invoking the 5th and not answering any questions."?

Stretch

Is it sufficient to say "I'm not going to answer any questions" or do you need to specifically invoke the 5th? Something like "on the advice of my attorney, I'm invoking the 5th and not answering any questions."?

I was advised once by an attorney to say, "I am invoking my right to not answer any further questions."

countryclubjoe

We are moving from a " reactive state " focused primarily on punishing individuals who have committed crimes, to a "preventive state' focused primarily on gathering information to enable the government to anticipate and prevent terrorist or other criminal acts, we must consider whether traditional constitutional rights should be reinterpreted to ensure they retain their vitality in a changing world.

See Chavez v Martinez (2003) Supreme Court decision.

For a better understanding read, Is There A Right to Remain Silent? Coercive Interrogation and the Fifth Amendment After 9/11

Written by Alan M.Dershowitz

You should always reserve your rights in any encounter with any government agency, whether you reserve your rights orally or in writing. The key is to reserve and invoke your rights at all times.

My .02

Best regards

CCJ

Difdi

The constitution does not grant anyone any rights at all. Instead, it protects rights by absolutely forbidding the government from doing certain things.

But between the people insisting it is a living document and people interpreting 200+ year old words by modern, post-linguistic drift meanings, the constitution isn't doing such a great job anymore.

Especially when 'getting the job done' is seen by many officials as more important than doing it right, even if it means they have to commit crimes to get the job done.

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/crm/242fin.php

EMNofSeattle

Rap, how does this effect the state constitution? I mean i know it technically doesn't,

but, is there SCOWA (supreme court of Washington) rulings on the WA state constitution that provide greater protection when dealing with local and state LE?

I'm asking because I know Washington has traditionally upheld under our state constitution greater rights then under the federal, so the federal is only a concern in this state if there's no existing case law on the state constitution stricter then then salinas ruling correct?

countryclubjoe

See Book " The Living Constitution" By David A. Strauss

Very interesting thesis on the Constitution an " The Common Law."

Best regards.

CCJ

Last edited: