Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I allowed to open carry? Please help

Exclamation Am I allowed to open carry? Please help

i am a 21 year old guy and I open carry but I'm not sure if I'm really even aloud to. I don't have any felonies or nothing I don't need any type of license to carry my 9mm on my waist is it?

And if so do I need to carry paperwork and an I.d?

Please someone helpme
    Last edited by Ammo; 07-04-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Welcome to OCDO.

You would have better luck getting the technical details of your state's laws if you posted in the section for the state you live in. (There are at least two possibilities of which state you live in that immediately come to mind.)

"to carry my 9mm on my waist is it" - you are talking about your handgun in a holster that is attached to your belt, right? That's usually referred to as an OWB (Outside the Waist Band) type holster - for obvious reasons.

Check your state's section of OCDO to see if there are any meet&greet events happening. Meeting fellow OCers is always good, and for a newbie the chance to pump an experienced mind for knowledge is a great thing. If there is not a meet&greet happening in your area, start one! Pick a place & time, then post that you will be there. If one person shows up it was a success. If you plan another one it was a success. And if nobody shows up, plan another one anyhow - sometimes you need to let folks know it OK to be seen OCing in a group

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Re: Am I aloud to open carry? Please help

15 yard penalty for aloud vs. allowed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    Says the guy with a yellow flag for an avatar!

Nicely played sir.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

on topic

It appears open carry is legal in his state of MO. However preemption is not the rule.
    www.opencarry.org/?page_id=263
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 07-04-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    on topic

It appears open carry is legal in his state of MO. However preemption is not the rule.
    www.opencarry.org/?page_id=263
    Don't forget that he could be in Kansas City, KS.

Folks on OCDO really should put their State (at least) in their location.

BTW "aloud" referred to the size of the font he used in his post. My ears are still ringing from the loudness of that post.
    Last edited by eye95; 07-04-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Well he did put in the important stuff....he's a tattoo artist somewhere along a very large river running north & south...

In his defense it's a small detail...like they live in Portland by the sea...

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    somewhere along a very large river running north & south...
    If he is not living in a van, it doesn't count.
    Last edited by b0neZ; 07-04-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Troll alert, troll alert!!

No, THIS is a troll alert. Like "This is a knife."

No, THIS is a troll alert. Like "This is a knife."
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Troll alert, troll alert!!
    Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post

And this will be my only response.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

If you live in MO or Kansas, both states allow open carry, but both states also allow cities and counties to ban it. Although in Kansas, there is some disagreement as to whether or not they can.

So, a lot of reading is required before you OC. If you can be more precise about where y live and hang out, I can give you some pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
    i am a 21 year old guy and I open carry but I'm not sure if I'm really even aloud to. I don't have any felonies or nothing I don't need any type of license to carry my 9mm on my waist is it?

And if so do I need to carry paperwork and an I.d?

Please someone helpme

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Can I open carry?

Thank you all. I'm in the Missouri side of kc. As I'm in independence a lot too. I also wana know about oak grove Missouri since I play soft ball there.

I was supprized t o see how many people are active in this forum. I posted at nearly 3 a.m and there 115 views. If I can open carry do I need paperwork?

And yes I'm a tattoo artist.

Independence is a great city to OC in, as is Kansas City MO proper. I don't know about Oak Grove. If you have not yet studied the MO statutes as to where you can and cannot carry, you should do that ASAP.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Centurion

I strongly reccommend that you go to one of the open carry meetings in your area

Thank you all. I'm in the Missouri side of kc. As I'm in independence a lot too. I also wana know about oak grove Missouri since I play soft ball there.

I was supprized t o see how many people are active in this forum. I posted at nearly 3 a.m and there 115 views. If I can open carry do I need paperwork?

You will find a great deal of support there, and many knowledgable people who can answer your questions and help you.

Reading the forum for Missouri was an excellent suggestion by Skidmark. He is a valuable member of opencarry.org and source of wisdom here.
    Last edited by ccwinstructor; 07-05-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: clarity

Open carry is fine in Oak Grove. Just remember that Webb park where you play softball is in side of a gun free school zone. Also the fenced in areas of the ball fields are considered a "building" by city ordinance and are off limits to carry.

www.sullivanpublications.com

www.municodes.com

Those two sites will give a good idea of the open carry laws of most cities in Jackson County. Just remember that the ordinances listed on those websites are not always up-to-date. If in doubt call the city hall of the city in question.

Welcome to OCDO.

Since OP has not commented, we can all assume he is a troll. What 21yr old types like that?

kcgunfan is correct. The state of MO is opencarry, but it gives each city the power to restrict it. You have to check for which city you wish to visit or stay. check the statues for yourself not what LEO or others say.
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

I live in independence, and have been OC'ing for years. PM me, maybe we can hit the range? Or do lunch? Always willing to help someone willing to carry.

Re: Am I allowed to open carry? Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Castillo View Post
    I live in independence, and have been OC'ing for years. PM me, maybe we can hit the range? Or do lunch? Always willing to help someone willing to carry.
    I searched both of those sites and only found nkc and pleasant Hill to be anti open carry in this area. Is that correct? I'm an occasional oc'er and doing it more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by jimogden View Post
    I searched both of those sites and only found nkc and pleasant Hill to be anti open carry in this area. Is that correct? I'm an occasional oc'er and doing it more and more.
    I can't speak to Pleasant Hill, I haven't gone there. I do know that NKC proper is out (and it's a surprisingly small part of the Northland.) I also know that Gladstone and Parkville are out. Since you didn't know specify how big the area is, you might want to know that KCK is out, and I think Leawood is still out (they've removed the ordinance, but it hasn't taken effect yet.) Overland Park is in only with a CCW endorsement. So, it's a jumbled up mess.

Re: Am I allowed to open carry? Please help

luckily I usually stick to the smaller towns east of kcmo

Northland is spotty at best with OC laws. I kind of just figure anything north of the river is a no go for open carry.
    Last edited by Jason Castillo; 07-18-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Castillo View Post
    Northland is spotty at best with OC laws. I kind of just figure anything north of the river is a no go for open carry.
    I will have to disagree with your post here. I live in the northland and I open carry everywhere. I know NKC is out of the question, dont like the place anyways. But as far as Gladstone, Parkville are good. Walked passed two cops at starbucks in Gladstone, nothing but a smile. I have been to many resturants off of North Oak in Gladstone and never had any problems. Parkville I dont visit very much but I have open carried there before and had LEOs pass me or notice and never appoched me or started a conversation. I can not speak for Pleasent Hill as I really have no reason for going there. But I can call them on my day off and have a chat with them on the subject. I have been all over downtown Kansas City. Never had a problem.

In closing, to my experiance, the only place I know not to go is NKC. Everywhere else is fair game. And on the Kansas State note, I dont go to Kansas for anything. I stay in Missouri as much as possible.
    Last edited by MrLuke; 08-23-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Raymore, Belton, Harrisonville are also anti OC.
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

OC in MO

The best way to find out is to read the city ordinances in each different town, so do your research well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast