• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I allowed to open carry? Please help

Ammo

i am a 21 year old guy and I open carry but I'm not sure if I'm really even aloud to. I don't have any felonies or nothing I don't need any type of license to carry my 9mm on my waist is it?

And if so do I need to carry paperwork and an I.d?

Please someone helpme

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

You would have better luck getting the technical details of your state's laws if you posted in the section for the state you live in. (There are at least two possibilities of which state you live in that immediately come to mind.)

"to carry my 9mm on my waist is it" - you are talking about your handgun in a holster that is attached to your belt, right? That's usually referred to as an OWB (Outside the Waist Band) type holster - for obvious reasons.

Check your state's section of OCDO to see if there are any meet&greet events happening. Meeting fellow OCers is always good, and for a newbie the chance to pump an experienced mind for knowledge is a great thing. If there is not a meet&greet happening in your area, start one! Pick a place & time, then post that you will be there. If one person shows up it was a success. If you plan another one it was a success. And if nobody shows up, plan another one anyhow - sometimes you need to let folks know it OK to be seen OCing in a group

stay safe.

eye95

on topic

It appears open carry is legal in his state of MO. However preemption is not the rule.
www.opencarry.org/?page_id=263

Don't forget that he could be in Kansas City, KS.

Folks on OCDO really should put their State (at least) in their location.

BTW "aloud" referred to the size of the font he used in his post. My ears are still ringing from the loudness of that post.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Re: Am I aloud to open carry? Please help

Well he did put in the important stuff....he's a tattoo artist somewhere along a very large river running north & south...:rolleyes:

In his defense it's a small detail...like they live in Portland by the sea...:p

kcgunfan

If you live in MO or Kansas, both states allow open carry, but both states also allow cities and counties to ban it. Although in Kansas, there is some disagreement as to whether or not they can.

So, a lot of reading is required before you OC. If you can be more precise about where y live and hang out, I can give you some pointers.

i am a 21 year old guy and I open carry but I'm not sure if I'm really even aloud to. I don't have any felonies or nothing I don't need any type of license to carry my 9mm on my waist is it?

And if so do I need to carry paperwork and an I.d?

Please someone helpme

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Ammo

Can I open carry?

Thank you all. I'm in the Missouri side of kc. As I'm in independence a lot too. I also wana know about oak grove Missouri since I play soft ball there.

I was supprized t o see how many people are active in this forum. I posted at nearly 3 a.m and there 115 views. If I can open carry do I need paperwork?

And yes I'm a tattoo artist.

kcgunfan

Independence is a great city to OC in, as is Kansas City MO proper. I don't know about Oak Grove. If you have not yet studied the MO statutes as to where you can and cannot carry, you should do that ASAP.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I strongly reccommend that you go to one of the open carry meetings in your area

Thank you all. I'm in the Missouri side of kc. As I'm in independence a lot too. I also wana know about oak grove Missouri since I play soft ball there.

I was supprized t o see how many people are active in this forum. I posted at nearly 3 a.m and there 115 views. If I can open carry do I need paperwork?

And yes I'm a tattoo artist.

You will find a great deal of support there, and many knowledgable people who can answer your questions and help you.

Reading the forum for Missouri was an excellent suggestion by Skidmark. He is a valuable member of opencarry.org and source of wisdom here.

Last edited:

WCEarp

Open carry is fine in Oak Grove. Just remember that Webb park where you play softball is in side of a gun free school zone. Also the fenced in areas of the ball fields are considered a "building" by city ordinance and are off limits to carry.

www.sullivanpublications.com

www.municodes.com

Those two sites will give a good idea of the open carry laws of most cities in Jackson County. Just remember that the ordinances listed on those websites are not always up-to-date. If in doubt call the city hall of the city in question.

Welcome to OCDO.

kylemoul

Since OP has not commented, we can all assume he is a troll. What 21yr old types like that?

kcgunfan is correct. The state of MO is opencarry, but it gives each city the power to restrict it. You have to check for which city you wish to visit or stay. check the statues for yourself not what LEO or others say.

jimogden

I live in independence, and have been OC'ing for years. PM me, maybe we can hit the range? Or do lunch? Always willing to help someone willing to carry.

I searched both of those sites and only found nkc and pleasant Hill to be anti open carry in this area. Is that correct? I'm an occasional oc'er and doing it more and more.

kcgunfan

I searched both of those sites and only found nkc and pleasant Hill to be anti open carry in this area. Is that correct? I'm an occasional oc'er and doing it more and more.

I can't speak to Pleasant Hill, I haven't gone there. I do know that NKC proper is out (and it's a surprisingly small part of the Northland.) I also know that Gladstone and Parkville are out. Since you didn't know specify how big the area is, you might want to know that KCK is out, and I think Leawood is still out (they've removed the ordinance, but it hasn't taken effect yet.) Overland Park is in only with a CCW endorsement. So, it's a jumbled up mess.