• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I allowed to open carry? Please help

MrLuke

Northland is spotty at best with OC laws. I kind of just figure anything north of the river is a no go for open carry.

I will have to disagree with your post here. I live in the northland and I open carry everywhere. I know NKC is out of the question, dont like the place anyways. But as far as Gladstone, Parkville are good. Walked passed two cops at starbucks in Gladstone, nothing but a smile. I have been to many resturants off of North Oak in Gladstone and never had any problems. Parkville I dont visit very much but I have open carried there before and had LEOs pass me or notice and never appoched me or started a conversation. I can not speak for Pleasent Hill as I really have no reason for going there. But I can call them on my day off and have a chat with them on the subject. I have been all over downtown Kansas City. Never had a problem.

In closing, to my experiance, the only place I know not to go is NKC. Everywhere else is fair game. And on the Kansas State note, I dont go to Kansas for anything. I stay in Missouri as much as possible.

Last edited:

gotya

OC in MO

Thank you all. I'm in the Missouri side of kc. As I'm in independence a lot too. I also wana know about oak grove Missouri since I play soft ball there.

I was supprized t o see how many people are active in this forum. I posted at nearly 3 a.m and there 115 views. If I can open carry do I need paperwork?

And yes I'm a tattoo artist.

The best way to find out is to read the city ordinances in each different town, so do your research well.

Way of The Future

Rediculousness

It's far safer to be a straight-up criminal and carry concealed everywhere than to risk it all to walk down the street exercising our right to bare arms.

--Moderator response --
Please review forum rules, particularly #15.

WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Last edited by a moderator:

eye95

I am not so sure he was advocating doing so. I suspect he was pointing out the irony that you are more likely to be harassed by the cops for following the law than for breaking it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

cirrusly

We need a graphic OC map for states that do not have a preemption. I think it would help.

The Reciprocity maps on USA Carry is the first place I go for information when carrying between states. http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Something similar for county boundaries may be useful for states without a strong preemption.

If I was more savvy on my .NET I'd code it. If someone can send me an Excel sheet of each county and statues and a state map with counties defined, I can try and whip something up. That is, if someone has done the homework already to make said spreadsheet...

Rolo17

I will have to disagree with your post here. I live in the northland and I open carry everywhere. I know NKC is out of the question, dont like the place anyways. But as far as Gladstone, Parkville are good. Walked passed two cops at starbucks in Gladstone, nothing but a smile. I have been to many resturants off of North Oak in Gladstone and never had any problems. Parkville I dont visit very much but I have open carried there before and had LEOs pass me or notice and never appoched me or started a conversation. I can not speak for Pleasent Hill as I really have no reason for going there. But I can call them on my day off and have a chat with them on the subject. I have been all over downtown Kansas City. Never had a problem.

In closing, to my experiance, the only place I know not to go is NKC. Everywhere else is fair game. And on the Kansas State note, I dont go to Kansas for anything. I stay in Missouri as much as possible.

I'm just north of Barry road on north oak. So oc is fine where I'm at?

Sent from Rolo's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
We need a graphic OC map for states that do not have a preemption. I think it would help.

Actually, it is unfortunate but it would be of little to no use. With municipalities having control over it, you are stuck with a different set of rules than the state. In MO other than emergency laws they all become law after proposal, committee, floor debate/vote, to the senate, then sent to gov for approval, then if passed become law on August 28th of that year.

Municipalities only require the board to hear it at one meeting, and vote at the next and it can become law instantly at that point. The notification process is posting on the muni bulletin board. There are roughly 100 municipalities in the St Louis metro area, most meeting monthly, some every two weeks. There also is no notification requirement what so ever that they changed the law beyond the public posting board either and one muni that banned it was almost 18 months before they updated the information on the web site displaying the ordinances.

It is also what makes many of us here in MO unwilling to advise anyone as to where it is or is not legal as we could indeed have been right last week and wrong this week and there is no sound method to assure otherwise. It is IMHO what makes anything less than 100% preemption unconstitutional as it is impossible to know on any given day what the law is to follw.

Mr.40

Overland Park does not require CCW to OC. It's still "illegal" to OC in leawood and prairie village. NKC is a no go with OC. Parkville and riverside state no brandishing. Checking with the Parkville and riverside city attorney to get their definition of brandish would be smart. Platte city is also a no go