• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Warning shots fired when Issaquah man parasails near Chelan Falls

44Brent

CHELAN FALLS (AP) — The Douglas County sheriff’s office says a man fired warning shots at a parasail he felt was flying too low over his property.

Undersheriff Don Culp told The Wenatchee World the parasail was not hit Tuesday afternoon and the 36-year-old Issaquah man landed at a park in Chelan Falls and called the sheriff’s office.

The parasailer had taken off from Chelan Butte and ran into the anti-aircraft fire across the Columbia River from Chelan Falls.

The 66-year-old property owner told a deputy he did not intend to hit the parasail. He said he first yelled at the parasailer for trespassing by flying too low and fired two or three shots after verbal unpleasantries.

The case was referred to the county prosecutor.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today...hen-issaquah-man-parasails-near-chelan-falls/

shaun

Aye yie yie. If his airspace is encroached upon, this guy should invest in some SAM batteries.

badkarma

What if... it wasn't a parasail but a SPD RC drone? Do you technically own the airspace above your property? I know I own my land but not the mineral rights. But I'm unsure about my "air space".

jfslicer

What if... it wasn't a parasail but a SPD RC drone? Do you technically own the airspace above your property? I know I own my land but not the mineral rights. But I'm unsure about my "air space".

As a pilot I can tell you, you do not own the air space.

EMNofSeattle

Well 49 USC 40103 has a clear and concise answer to this question

(a) Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit.—
(1) The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.

(2) A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace. To further that right, the Secretary of Transportation shall consult with the Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board established under section 502 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. 792) before prescribing a regulation or issuing an order or procedure that will have a significant impact on the accessibility of commercial airports or commercial air transportation for handicapped individuals.

notalawyer

Generally you have exclusive use of your airspace up to the point where you can legitimately & effectively use it.

jfslicer

Generally you have exclusive use of your airspace up to the point where you can legitimately & effectively use it.

This seems false. There are several types of airspace... Class B, C, & D Airspace exists from the ground up to a varying height based on the class type. In class B airspace you need ATC clearance and direct vectors. Violation of their vectors has serious consequences. If you are in Class B airspace, the FAA owns you. For visual reference look here: http://macklow.com/airspace/airspace-chart-large.gif

However, since this most likely happened in Class G airspace, let's address that. Aircraft must fly 700' above ground level (agl). That said those are Aircraft regulations. And they seem to show you don't own your airspace.

According to this document, parachuters need to begin their landing and circling procedures at 2000' agl. That's twice the height small aircraft use when circling an airport. I've never skydived and don't know what the law is on that though.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
This seems false. There are several types of airspace... Class B, C, & D Airspace exists from the ground up to a varying height based on the class type. In class B airspace you need ATC clearance and direct vectors. Violation of their vectors has serious consequences. If you are in Class B airspace, the FAA owns you. For visual reference look here: http://macklow.com/airspace/airspace-chart-large.gif

However, since this most likely happened in Class G airspace, let's address that. Aircraft must fly 700' above ground level (agl). That said those are Aircraft regulations. And they seem to show you don't own your airspace.

According to this document, parachuters need to begin their landing and circling procedures at 2000' agl. That's twice the height small aircraft use when circling an airport. I've never skydived and don't know what the law is on that though.

You have forgotten or at least not included Class E airspace also..... Basically, 500 feet from people or structures UNLESS taking off or landing!