• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to do when pulled over by police?

forhumans

One day I'll have a pistol permit, and I'm curious what your experiences have been with police after being pulled over.

I was thinking handing over the permit even when not carrying would allow them to see you've been vetted by local authorities to own a firearm, so you're probably a safe guy...

Thanks for sharing!

Rich B

I will never understand why people are so eager to show their permit. Especially when it introduces a firearm into a situation where there wasn't one previously.

http://ctcarry.com/FAQ/Details/f84f0c49-25d5-421b-bff5-9b33aa28c913

The answer legally is 'no'. There is no legal requirement to disclose the presence of a firearm either in your car or on your person during a traffic stop.

This issue is a subjective one. People have their own opinions on how to handle this situation.

One school of thought is to hand your pistol permit over to the police officer with your license and let him ask the questions from there if they choose to so.

Another school of thought is to not offer information that is not needed unless being asked to step out of the car or directly asked about the presence of firearms.

By all means, lying to a police officer about the presence of a firearm is likely to end up with you in legal trouble.

Since there is no legal disclosure requirement, this is a matter that is entirely up to you. You should do what you are comfortable with.

jegoodin

I will never understand why people are so eager to show their permit. Especially when it introduces a firearm into a situation where there wasn't one previously.

http://ctcarry.com/FAQ/Details/f84f0c49-25d5-421b-bff5-9b33aa28c913

I agree. If your state does not require disclosing you are carrying (some do) then why do it. Time after time you see on this board that guys hand over their CHP/LTC/CCW or whatever their state has. The next thing that happens is that they are whining on here that they were dis-armed or ended up in hand cuffs temporarily. KYBMS.

In Virginia it is not required. I've had a few LEO encounters when armed and have never disclosed voluntarily. A two were OC on a motorcycle and the LEO noticed and said something in only one encounter, I didn't get a ticket in that encounter. I was doing 52 in a 45. The VA State cop said, "I see you are carriyng." My response, "Yup."

In the other one, I was standing next to my bike and OCing. The Fauquier County cop had to have seen the G27 on my hip against the bright yellow MC jacket. He didn't bring it up and neither did I.

Admittedly most VA cops seem to be very aware of the laws and don't seem to be anti citizens with guns.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Most states seem to have the existence of a permit tied to the license/registration database. Thus, it is most likely the cop knows you have a permit before he steps out of the squadcar. What he does not yet know is if you have the/a handgun with you at that moment.

Personally, since I am pretty sure I was not stopped because the cop observed (through his computer) that I have a permit, and since my state does not require immediate notification that I am carrying or that I have a permit, I prefer to leave it out of the discussion. Let the cop bring it up. Then he can explain to the judge why he thought it was more important than how fast I was going or that my taillight is burned out, or whatever reason he thought he had for stopping me in the first place.

I do have to show it, along with photo id, if the cop asks for it. But since I do not need a permit to OC I very often do not carry the permit. Let the cop deal with understanding how that works. Or that for the past 4 daysit's only a civil offense ($25 fine) if I fail to have the permit with me when CCing. And I do not have to pay the fine if I can show I had a valid permit - just not with me - at the time I was cited. (Still have to pay court costs. Bummer!)

No conversation about "what to do if pulled over by the police" is complete without reminding everybody not to talk to the police unless you must, and if that is the case do not engage them in conversation. Also, remember that you do not have to submit to searches of your vehicle if you are out of it and not under arrest. Nor do cops have the authority to "run your serial number to see if the gun is reported stolen" unless they are accusing you of having stolen a gun/possessing a stolen gun - at which point you would be under arrest and should be saying you want to talk with your attorney before you answer any questions.

stayu safe.

KennyB

Also, remember that you do not have to submit to searches of your vehicle if you are out of it and not under arrest. Nor do cops have the authority to "run your serial number to see if the gun is reported stolen" unless they are accusing you of having stolen a gun/possessing a stolen gun - at which point you would be under arrest and should be saying you want to talk with your attorney before you answer any questions. stayu safe.

The police CANNOT search your vehicle regardless if your in the vehicle or not. If your told to exit your vehicle, take your keys with you and LOCK your car. DO NOT under any circumstance give permission to search you are your vehicle. They want to search, get a warrant. And there isn't a judge in the country who will issue one for NO reason. Unless they actually see something illegal, they can't search....period. And yes, staying silent is very smart under most circumstances.......

notalawyer

The police CANNOT search your vehicle regardless if your in the vehicle or not. If your told to exit your vehicle, take your keys with you and LOCK your car. DO NOT under any circumstance give permission to search you are your vehicle. They want to search, get a warrant. And there isn't a judge in the country who will issue one for NO reason. Unless they actually see something illegal, they can't search....period. And yes, staying silent is very smart under most circumstances.......

Wrong.

forhumans

Ya smell of illegal substance has held up. It's grey though.

Because they want to show it off, they have been convinced that they are special because of a privilege card.

Aren't they? I figure being approved to carry a pistol by the police chief holds just as much weight as one of those "friends and family" cards people use, if not more.

I would feel like I was trying to bribe the cop though, if I slipped them a special card that they didn't ask for... :uhoh:

So from what I gather nobody here takes it out unless asked.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
If pulled over for any reason, as the officer approaches your car, yell out loudly to him, "I've got a gun!" Don't forget to hold it up so he can see it. That'll defuse the situation immensely.

Sarcasm SHOULD really be labeled as such. I would hate to have someone actually FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE as quoted above!

motoxmann

correct. all it does is force the cop to complete more research on you, making more work for him (cops hate more work than they want, and you shouldn't want to anger a cop during a stop), and a much longer wait time for you. CT cops often will then disarm you and run the serial to see if it's registered to you, and if it isn't they will hassle the heck out of you regarding carrying a gun not registered to you. (the registration database is horribly inaccurate). what cops often don't know is that you can legally carry any gun you want if you have a permit, you can legally carry friends' guns even. there is absolutely no good reason to show a cop your permit if they don't ask to see it.

FTG-05

Ya smell of illegal substance has held up. It's grey though.

Aren't they? I figure being approved to carry a pistol by the police chief holds just as much weight as one of those "friends and family" cards people use, if not more.

I would feel like I was trying to bribe the cop though, if I slipped them a special card that they didn't ask for... :uhoh:

When you get pulled over, do you tell the officer that you have a cell phone? Tools in your vehicle? How about auto spare parts (if any), or water in a cooler or the baby seat for your kids? Why not?

Short answer: It's none of his business.

If he thinks its important on whether or not you have a gun in your vehicle - hmmm, he'll probably ask. If not, then it's not important. Why therefore, complicate a simple traffic (hopefully) stop?

The above is written for those states that do not have "shall inform" laws (e.g. Ohio).

The only time I'll ever tell an officer I'm armed is if a) he asks or b) he asks me to step out of the vehicle. Otherwise, it's simply none of his business.

Last edited:

forhumans

When you get pulled over, do you tell the officer that you have a cell phone? Tools in your vehicle? How about auto spare parts (if any), or water in a cooler or the baby seat for your kids? Why not?

Short answer: It's none of his business.

I'm not even talking about telling the cop if your armed, just that you have the permit.

People around me use these "friends of cops" cards like these: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/nyregion/11cards.html when they get pulled over so that they might receive a warning or not be searched. I'm pretty sure I've heard of people doing the same with pistol permits.

From everybody's reactions it seems cops are offended by pistol permits more than respecting of them, and I'm pretty sure they see it on your record anyways.

Rich B

I'm not even talking about telling the cop if your armed, just that you have the permit.

This makes even less sense.

People around me use these "friends of cops" cards like these: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/nyregion/11cards.html when they get pulled over so that they might receive a warning or not be searched. I'm pretty sure I've heard of people doing the same with pistol permits.

Those people are either lying or are very ignorant.

I'm pretty sure they see it on your record anyways.

What record? Where are you getting this information?

forhumans

What record? Where are you getting this information?

Police records? Whatever they see when they look up your plate. A friend was pulled over recently and the cop said he knew he had a pistol permit.

Last edited:

Rich B

Police records? Whatever they see when they look up your plate.

This varies town to town. The state DMV records do not show permits or firearms.

I don't know what 'police records' you would be referring to other than the typical CAD systems available in most police cruisers.

A friend was pulled over recently and the cop said he knew he had a pistol permit.

This happens in some towns, but it is by no means the norm in Connecticut, nor does it mean your friend was correct that it 'just popped up'. If that were the case, that is even less reason to inform them.

motoxmann

from what I can gather, the only way the cop knows you have your pistol permit after running your plate is if its a cop from the town you reside in and originally got your permit in.

but yeah, when you hand a cop your permit they see it exactly the same way as if you were to randomly walk up to a cop and say only this: "I have a gun". and nothing more. they take it as a threat if you offer it without being asked for it.

when pulled over by a cop, the rules are very simple: most importantly, do not lie about anything (the only exception is if they ask you if you know why you were pulled over, in that case say NO, also never admit to how fast you were going if asked [if pulled over for speeding]); don't give them any info on anything unless asked; even when asked, you have the right to not say anything; never admit to a crime; never allow a search and/or seizure without a warrant; and never say or do anything that the cop could possibly see as some form of threat.

people underestimate the concept of rights vs common sense vs fear of hassle. IE: allowing your vehicle to be searched even if you know 100% there is absolutely nothing illegal in the vehicle. 3 things often happen when cops search your vehicle: they break a lot of stuff including parts of the vehicle, they throw everything around in the vehicle making the biggest mess possible, and yes cops do frame people in various ways quite often.
I personally allowed my vehicle to be searched twice. the first time I was 20, and they stole my case of beer and broke all my door panels ripping them off to see if I had anything hidden in the doors, they also were so messy in tossing stuff around that my registration blew away in the wind. the second time I was arrested for a huge list of things, all of which were bogus, and after 17 court trips the court saw it the same way and dropped everything. never again will I allow a search without a warrant.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Maybe the OP thinks if he shows he can carry, just like the cop, they they are "buddies" or "pals".

Get pulled over, just listen and comply is the best course of action .. do not offer ANY answers to his queries. Just tell him you'll answer any questions he has in court and that you wish to invoke your 5th amendment right to keep quite.

It will keep the contact short and will not provide facts to the cop that can hurt you in court, if a trip to the courthouse is needed.