• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Extra Legal Requirement for CHP in Accomack?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Samual Cooper Jr

I saw your ad on your website for fake Concealed Handgun Permits. I am interested in one, actually two if I can get separate names.

There was no mention of them, but could I also order a diploma and transcript for an advanced degree.

Please let me know the total cost with shipping.

Thank you in advance

Peter nap

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Samual Cooper Jr

I saw your ad on your website for fake Concealed Handgun Permits. I am interested in one, actually two if I can get separate names.

There was no mention of them, but could I also order a diploma and transcript for an advanced degree.

Please let me know the total cost with shipping.

Thank you in advance

Peter nap

:lol:

I like this.

Thundar

My e-mail to the Virginia State Police

Sirs,

It has come to my attention that the Accomack Circuit Court is issuing Concealed Handgun Permits that include a photograph. Please confirm that this "Photo CHP" meets the requirements for a primary identification document for a firearms transfer as stated in Section 18.2 308.2.2.

Here is a link to the Accomack Circuit Court website which shows the "Photo CHP" that they are issuing. Link: http://www.co.accomack.va.us/govern...rk-of-circuit-court/concealed-handgun-permits

Thank you for your time

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Thundar

VA State Police Reply

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

The concealed handgun permit with photo presented on the link you provided does meet the primary identification requirements of Section 18.2-308.2:2, of the Code of Virginia.

Thank you for sharing this information.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, Manager
Firearms Transaction Center
Department of State Police

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

The concealed handgun permit with photo presented on the link you provided does meet the primary identification requirements of Section 18.2-308.2:2, of the Code of Virginia.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, Manager

So.... if I read his response correctly, if one has an Accomack Photo CHP, no other ID is required? Doesn't that contradict the existing state law? The VSP website states:

The person issued a permit or in possession of a de facto permit must have the permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and must display the permit AND a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

The "and" would seem to indicate that there must be two documents proffered: the CHP and a government-issued Photo ID.

Last edited:

Thundar

So.... if I read his response correctly, if one has an Accomack Photo CHP, no other ID is required? Doesn't that contradict the existing state law? The VSP website states:

The person issued a permit or in possession of a de facto permit must have the permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and must display the permit AND a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

The "and" would seem to indicate that there must be two documents proffered: the CHP and a government-issued Photo ID.

The question I made to the VSP was about firearms transfers from an FFL, which require a Commonwealth Issued ID and a secondary document - bank check, utility bil, etc. with the same address.

The point is that making up your own ID and putting a Commonwealth seal on it can have unintended consequences.

As to your question, it appears that the "Photo CHP" satisfies both requirements just like an out of state VA CHP issued by the VSP.

USNA69

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, Manager

Since this CHP Photo ID Card has the approval of VSP as a primary identification document, then all of us CHP holders should demand that our respective Clerks of Court begin issuing them to us throughout the Commonwealth.

Thundar

Never say never

Mental note: Never ask the police a question about the law. :uhoh:

In general you are correct, but not in this case.

The Virginia State Police Firearms Transaction Center implements Virginia's CHRI (background check system for purchase of firearms). They write the manual that firearms dealers in Virginia follow. They are very professional and very knowledgeable. They are also the ones that review the state firearms transaction forms (SP65's), so any issues for a Virginia firearms dealer's state paperwork would be handled by this same unit.

VSP FTC is without a doubt much better than the FBI and ATF. FTC delivered a clear, useable (and in my reading of the law correct) answer in less than an hour. The feds would take three weeks to answer with a ten page letter which would read like a letter from the Oracle of Delphi.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sirs,

It has come to my attention that the Accomack Circuit Court is issuing Concealed Handgun Permits that include a photograph. Please confirm that this "Photo CHP" meets the requirements for a primary identification document for a firearms transfer as stated in Section 18.2 308.2.2.

Here is a link to the Accomack Circuit Court website which shows the "Photo CHP" that they are issuing. Link: http://www.co.accomack.va.us/govern...rk-of-circuit-court/concealed-handgun-permits

Thank you for your time

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Why would you ask about that? It has nothing to do with the issue at hand - that the piece of plastic the Clerk is issuing does not conform with § 18.2-308.04.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.04

§ 18.2-308.04. Processing of the application and issuance of a concealed handgun permit.

E. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall specify only the following information: name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and signature of the permittee; the signature of the judge issuing the permit, of the clerk of court who has been authorized to sign such permits by the issuing judge, or of the clerk of court who has been authorized to issue such permits pursuant to subsection D; the date of issuance; and the expiration date. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be no larger than two inches wide by three and one-fourth inches long and shall be of a uniform style prescribed by the Department of State Police.

stay safe.

Esanders2008

Since this CHP Photo ID Card has the approval of VSP as a primary identification document, then all of us CHP holders should demand that our respective Clerks of Court begin issuing them to us throughout the Commonwealth.

No. I think that the clerks should conform to established state law.

Blk97F150

In general you are correct, but not in this case.

The Virginia State Police Firearms Transaction Center implements Virginia's CHRI (background check system for purchase of firearms). They write the manual that firearms dealers in Virginia follow. They are very professional and very knowledgeable. They are also the ones that review the state firearms transaction forms (SP65's), so any issues for a Virginia firearms dealer's state paperwork would be handled by this same unit.

VSP FTC is without a doubt much better than the FBI and ATF. FTC delivered a clear, useable (and in my reading of the law correct) answer in less than an hour. The feds would take three weeks to answer with a ten page letter which would read like a letter from the Oracle of Delphi.

Whether the State Police considers this plastic card to be a 'valid ID' or not really doesn't matter.... that is NOT the issue being discussed in this thread. The issue being discussed here, is whether that plastic card meets all the legal requirements to be a 'Concealed Handgun Permit' (and it does not).

Btw, I have access to a plastic card printer, and can create cards just like this one. I wonder if the State Police would consider my homemade card just 'valid' ?? :eek:

Blk97F150

^^THIS! I think that's all anyone is asking... that they follow the law.

If I violate the law, I can be arrested.... yet it appears the Accomack Clerk of Court can repeatedly violate the law, with no consequence. :banghead:

USNA69

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by USNA69

Esanders, I agree with you. And one way to make that happen is to illustrate how the VSP opinion is bogus. If other Clerks of Court refuse to issue a CHP Photo ID Card, because such issuance is not in compliance with Commonwealth law, then the Accomack Clerk of Court might have some 'splainin' to do, e.g. by what authority did he design and issue a card unique to Accomack County, which VSP has detemined to be legitimate photo identification?

If it is recognized by the Commonwealth as an acceptable ID issued by a State Agency, then I want one, too ... but I likely cannot get one in the City of Norfolk. Perhaps I could demand that the Norfolk Clerk of Court design his own photo ID card. If he did, I can see no reason why VSP would not accept it just as readily as it accepted the one from Accomack County.

Esanders2008

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by USNA69

Esanders, I agree with you. And one way to make that happen is to illustrate how the VSP opinion is bogus. If other Clerks of Court refuse to issue a CHP Photo ID Card, because such issuance is not in compliance with Commonwealth law, then the Accomack Clerk of Court might have some 'splainin' to do, e.g. by what authority did he design and issue a card unique to Accomack County, which VSP has detemined to be legitimate photo identification?

If it is recognized by the Commonwealth as an acceptable ID issued by a State Agency, then I want one, too ... but I likely cannot get one in the City of Norfolk. Perhaps I could demand that the Norfolk Clerk of Court design his own photo ID card. If he did, I can see no reason why VSP would not accept it just as readily as it accepted the one from Accomack County.

I agree with your analysis in the first paragraph, but I would rather not have a card that has all of my personal information, some of which is not required by statute ( I did not even provide my ssn on my application) and also lacks a required piece, the judges signature!

USNA69

I agree with your analysis in the first paragraph, but I would rather not have a card that has all of my personal information, some of which is not required by statute ( I did not even provide my ssn on my application) and also lacks a required piece, the judges signature!

I should have worded my second paragraph differently. I was going for subtle sarcasm, but I can see how it looked sincere. What I meant to convey was that I am all but certain that my local Clerk would refuse such a request, and that refusal would invalidate the VSP determination that the Accomack-unique card was a valid ID.

Blk97F150

No where on the plastic card does it identify the county, or the 'issuing authority'.... its just a plastic card with personal info printed in it. Send me your personal information, and I can print you one just like it.... :uhoh:

(kidding about the personal info... please don't send that to me! LOL)