• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry at 4h fair oakland county?

flushot70

I've looked and looked, can't seem to find it. Open carry at the 4h fair in Oakland county? Also, what about the area where they have the demolition derby, rodeo, and figure eight racing? the fair is held on springfield oaks county park property in davisburg. Thanks in advance.

TheQ

A demolition derby or a rodeo sounds like a sporting arena to me.

Keep this in mind when you choose whether or not to carry there and in what method.

flushot70

A demolition derby or a rodeo sounds like a sporting arena to me.

Keep this in mind when you choose whether or not to carry there and in what method.

yes, it is an open air arena, I am unsure of the seating capacity. seating to the best of my knowledge consists of some grand stand seating and lawn seating. I assume they can only count the permanent seating of the grand stand towards the 2500 capacity law, correct?

I will be attending the fair tomorrow in open carry mode (no cpl) along with my girlfriend. the event I want to see in the arena isn't until Thursday, so I will check on the seating capacity. we are fairly new to open carry and have received positive feed back, so far, while doing so. the biggest issue that I have is the constant loading and unloading of the firearm while entering and exiting the vehicle. I find myself not chambering a round when I load back up for carry mode, out of sheer convenience (I know, I know).

TheQ

yes, it is an open air arena, I am unsure of the seating capacity. seating to the best of my knowledge consists of some grand stand seating and lawn seating. I assume they can only count the permanent seating of the grand stand towards the 2500 capacity law, correct?

I will be attending the fair tomorrow in open carry mode (no cpl) along with my girlfriend. the event I want to see in the arena isn't until Thursday, so I will check on the seating capacity. we are fairly new to open carry and have received positive feed back, so far, while doing so. the biggest issue that I have is the constant loading and unloading of the firearm while entering and exiting the vehicle. I find myself not chambering a round when I load back up for carry mode, out of sheer convenience (I know, I know).

There is no seating capacity limit on a "sporting arena" -- only entertainment facilities.

Please review MCL 750.234d and MCL 28.425o and read the exact wording of each.

TheQ

Since you don't have a CPL, MCL 750.234d is an applicable statute. Read the bold parts.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

Note: 2,500+ isn't mentioned anywhere in this statute. Don't confuse the wording of MCL 750.234d with MCL 28.425o -- it's a common beginner mistake.

Also note in MCL 28.425o, there is no "2,500+" mentioned on sporting arenas. Therefore a sporting arena of 200 people is a MCL 28.425o zone.

backenj

Just curious. According to 28.425o some one with a CPL can't posses a "portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology" (taser) in sections A-H? Or am I reading that wrong?

TheQ

Just curious. According to 28.425o some one with a CPL can't posses a "portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology" (taser) in sections A-H? Or am I reading that wrong?

Yep. No tasers in 28.425o zones.

Last edited: