• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov. Nixon set to veto HB436 TODAY

stled

Sorry everyone my info was a little late. Should have known gunner would be up on this.

Ed

Last edited:

mspgunner

Actually the Governor's Office called my home to tel me of the veto. I was not honored by the individuality of the call, but I was "polite". No point in yelling at an aid.

The State of Missouri allows legislators and their staff to carry concealed in the Capitol, but NOt a citizen with a CCW. The Governor today signed H533 (Notwithstanding any provision of this section to the contrary, the state shall not prohibit any state employee from having a firearm in the employee’s vehicle on the state’s property provided that the vehicle is locked and the firearm is not visible. This subsection shall only apply to the state as an employer when the state employee’s vehicle is on property owned or leased by the state and the state employee is conducting activities within the scope of his or her employment. For the purposes of this subsection, “state employee” means an employee of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the government of the state of Missouri.) But private employers can prohibit citizens from having a firearm in a personal vehicle. The State of Missouri allows "Municipal Government" to prohibit open carry even though not prohibited by Art.1 Sec.23 of the Misouri Constitution. Where is the "Liberty and justice for all"?
I am getting really pissed!

Last edited:

Thunderstorm

Man oh man i am so pissed right now, sorry i know i am a new guy around here but i so wanted this bill to pass and i can not beleive this coward nixxon vetoed this close to becoming a new law , well ok i can beleive it but come on this is just plain bs. Thank you so much to everyone that got this bill going to start with but i hope we can get this veto overturned asap and do what we can to get nixxon thrown out on his butt once and for all.

JEStucker

I don't know what happens to letters that are sent between sessions, but I sent mail to Paul LeVota's office and Ira Anders' office, encouraging them to override the veto.

mspgunner

I don't know what happens to letters that are sent between sessions, but I sent mail to Paul LeVota's office and Ira Anders' office, encouraging them to override the veto.

The LAs work throughout the year, the legislators do get their mail. Write tour Missouri House and Senate members, ask to over ride HB436.

kcgunfan

Well, I've licked my wounds, and I'm ready to fight again. I'm not ready to fire off letters yet, I'll probably hold off for a month or so. But, I'm paying careful attention to media coverage.

First, we have Speaker Tim Jones saying he wants the veto overridden:

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=918169

I've not heard anything from State Sen Demsey about his intentions, but I sure hope to soon.

The first hurdle is to get the leadership to bring up the bill for an override vote. It looks like we're 1/2 way there already. And, I suspect that the Senate will go with it too.

The second hurdle it so get a supermajority in both houses. Seems like 2/3's is the popular number, although the MO Constitution is not clear on that. We had a larger margin than that in both houses when the bill was passed, so I genuinely consider this to be the smaller of the two hurdles.

Anyway, give it a month or so, and then send polite and thoughtful snail mail letters to your Representative and Senator. If they voted for it originally, thank them for it and say you hope you can count on their support for the second vote. If they voted against it, tell them that you understand their hesitation, but a clear supermajority of the people's representatives voted for it, and you hope you can could on their support this time.

HP995

This is bad news. I got behind on work and didn't get to check the forum the last couple weeks.

I just got an email alert from NRA that governor had passed 533, so I came here hoping to see if he passed 436 too. Hopes dashed.

But it's not over yet!

Gunner: Where is the "Liberty and justice for all"? I am getting really pissed!

That's absolutely true. Except for the gun buyback limitations, 533 is just extra perks for government employees. Last time I checked they already have quite a few special perks. We need rights for all citizens! Obviously Nixon chose that bill as the least helpful to pass and trying to limit criticism.

Even worse, this is what NRA sent out:

NRA-ILA: Please contact state Representative Jeannie Riddle, state Senator Brian Munzlinger and Governor Nixon to express your appreciation for their work and support to strengthen your inherent right to self-defense.

Praise Nixon for supporting self-defense? That's so wrong. As an NRA member I'm going to write them about that.

Gunner, what is the best time for contacting Legislators? Right away or closer to the day?

mspgunner

It's never to soon to contact your House and Senate member and ask them to join in the veto over ride of HB436. I do not know how soon they "poll" the legislators on how they will vote on the veto over ride.
If there is not a clear veto over ride majority HB436 will never be brought to the floor for the over ride vote.

This is bad news. I got behind on work and didn't get to check the forum the last couple weeks.

I just got an email alert from NRA that governor had passed 533, so I came here hoping to see if he passed 436 too. Hopes dashed.

But it's not over yet!

That's absolutely true. Except for the gun buyback limitations, 533 is just extra perks for government employees. Last time I checked they already have quite a few special perks. We need rights for all citizens! Obviously Nixon chose that bill as the least helpful to pass and trying to limit criticism.

Even worse, this is what NRA sent out:

Praise Nixon for supporting self-defense? That's so wrong. As an NRA member I'm going to write them about that.

Gunner, what is the best time for contacting Legislators? Right away or closer to the day?

jimogden

The LAs work throughout the year, the legislators do get their mail. Write tour Missouri House and Senate members, ask to over ride HB436.

how to I find out what district im in and who to write. I live about 5 miles south of bates city in lafayette county

kcgunfan

Go to the websites www.house.mo.gov (the other is left as an exercise for the reader) and use the Find My Legislator feature. You need to know your ZIP+4, get that from your mail.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

jimogden

Thank you, looks like I'm in District 53 with Glen Kolkmeyer and an email was sent asking for an override of Nixons veto on hb436

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

HighValueWarrior

If the Illinois House can override Gov Pat Quin in Chicago in the most commie state in the union.
Our backbenchers can certainly override 'Jay' Nixon in Jefferson City .......... :lol:

Work hard and hand him another slice of humble pie.

mspgunner

If the Illinois House can override Gov Pat Quin in Chicago in the most commie state in the union.
Our backbenchers can certainly override 'Jay' Nixon in Jefferson City .......... :lol:

Work hard and hand him another slice of humble pie.

"Work hard", it's easy to say. Spend the dime, take the time to show in Jefferson City early on Sept. 11th and help send the message to the legislators and the Governor "We want our rights back!"
We start with the rally and move to the House Gallery to see HB436 get to be law by veto over ride! Some of us have worked hard, some of us have done what we can. This is the time, if you've never done anything before to show up and help make the difference for open carry! This is the last stand. Nothing gets done on the forum, it gets done in Jefferson City. Do nothing, get nothing. I-GOLD in IL. attracts thousands for their rally, that's how they got CCW in IL. Here we get a few hundred if we are lucky, see the difference?

OC for ME

"Work hard", it's easy to say. Spend the dime, take the time to show in Jefferson City early on Sept. 11th and help send the message to the legislators and the Governor "We want our rights back!"
We start with the rally and move to the House Gallery to see HB436 get to be law by veto over ride! Some of us have worked hard, some of us have done what we can. This is the time, if you've never done anything before to show up and help make the difference for open carry! This is the last stand. Nothing gets done on the forum, it gets done in Jefferson City. Do nothing, get nothing. I-GOLD in IL. attracts thousands for their rally, that's how they got CCW in IL. Here we get a few hundred if we are lucky, see the difference?
Here!! Here!!

BTW......I-Gold got all those folks cuz our neighbor to the east had virtually zero rights beyond their own property line. We here in MO need our CCW only brethren to join our ranks. I do talk to as many folks that have some interest in or 2A right as I can. I focus on seasoned citizens cuz they are retired, mostly, and don't have anything better to do. Younger folks tend to have kids and no time.

We shall see.

randyj

I will be there!

logunowner

Time to stand up and stand firm!

These two men carried our OC Bill and continue to stand by us!

http://www.emissourian.com/news/state/article_5dfbd07a-e96a-11e2-b29f-0019bb2963f4.html

Thanks for posting. I certainly hope most Missourians' can see thru the smoke screen our Governor is hiding behind. You simply cannot say that you are a strong advocate for Second Amendment rights and in the next breath veto HB436. I am so upset over his veto I could spit nails, I could not start to image how you must feel with all the work you did on this bill.