Thread: Armed Protesters Rally In Texas, Denied Entry Into State Capitol Building

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

Armed Protesters Rally In Texas, Denied Entry Into State Capitol Building

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...p_ref=politics
    "Later in the day, demonstrators attempted to enter the state capitol building with their guns out. They were turned away by a trooper, who told them that while concealed handguns were permitted inside, their semi-automatic assault rifles weren't."

well, that seems ridiculous... pistols perfectly OK, but no long guns?
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Because CHL holders have undergone a background check that is intended to filter out such stupidity.

sorry SMELLS, that is a little OT, but good response since you can't carry open in TX

RUSHCREEK why would you be so judgmental and call that stupid. are you against the founders because they carried their long guns to meetings. remember stupid does as writes about it in forums
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    Because CHL holders have undergone a background check that is intended to filter out such stupidity.
    Sorry, but I'm not aware of an INTELLIGENCE level requirement in the permitting process. Have a cite for those of us who really want to know?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Thing is, government entities aren't allowed to prohibit entry to CHL holders except for a few legislated restrictions. When they have the leeway to decide if they can allow it or not, they will pull out the same idiocy that most commercial entities do.

Rush, way to go to bat for your fellow gun owners, glad to see you stick up for everyone's freedom of carry, you've just made thousands of friends in states with constitutional carry, or in states where licenses/permits aren't needed to carry, even in a state capitol building. *slow, sarcastic clapping.*

Did you forget that most LAC's and carriers buy from a gun shop or FFL for their firearms, and undergo background checks anyway? [exempting gun shows, where applicable]
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Re: Armed Protesters Rally In Texas, Denied Entry Into State Capitol Building

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Rush, way to go to bat for your fellow gun owners, glad to see you stick up for everyone's freedom of carry, you've just made thousands of friends in states with constitutional carry, or in states where licenses/permits aren't needed to carry, even in a state capitol building. *slow, sarcastic clapping.*

Did you forget that most LAC's and carriers buy from a gun shop or FFL for their firearms, and undergo background checks anyway? [exempting gun shows, where applicable]
    Quoted for truth! +1 Rush's comment reeks of permission slip elite school graduate syndrome. I have a permission slip too, guess what - those still should never hold more weight than the 2A!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Looking For Open Carry Texas Members

I live in DFW area - I am looking for local like-minded Open Carry people - North Texas Open Carry Texas Members. I'd like to learn more about the group and their Contact Form did not work. Am hoping someone here can provide a pointer.

Thanks

Michael

Wow. There are several people in this thread who must not know rush at all. That, or they're completely unwilling to give a guy who has a years-long track record of pro-liberty, pro-2a, pro-OC posting on this forum the benefit of the doubt.

Dear Everyone Who Just Bagged On Rush,
    You're completely off-target. Learn to aim your vitriol better.
    Love and kisses,
    ()pen "Just Left Teksis" (arry

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    sorry SMELLS, that is a little OT, but good response since you can't carry open in TX

RUSHCREEK why would you be so judgmental and call that stupid. are you against the founders because they carried their long guns to meetings. remember stupid does as writes about it in forums
    Perhaps you can OC long-guns in Texas but not hand-guns?

I suppose you never even attempted to research Texas law before making such a statement huh?
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Good grief .... Charlie Brown !!! I've been so glued to the Zimmerman Trial live stream that I had no idea that a neck-tie party was being organized and I was going to be the guest of honor.

I'll try to rephrase my objection to the effort (as I understand it) to enter the Capitol carrying long guns- rather than just label it "stupid" - OK ?

This is my OPINION ( OK ??? - as in 2 cents worth) We can still harbor opinions I presume.

I fail to see the benefit of an effort to OPEN CARRY long guns into the Texas Capitol when so many pro-gun related issues are on the menu. The State has granted (yes issued a permission slip) to CHL holders to carry concealed inside the Capitol. That's a pretty substantial concession - I think.

Things generally get done in the Texas Legislature from the INSIDE-OUT .....perhaps a bit differently than in other states legislative bodies.

Please continue........... No offense intended. I will excuse myself from this subject.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post

I suppose you never even attempted to research Texas law before making such a statement huh?
    I've tried CCing a long gun but always walked with a limp.

The State has granted (yes issued a permission slip) to CHL holders to carry concealed inside the Capitol. That's a pretty substantial concession - I think.
    That's not a concession, because there is no law in the first place prohibiting firearms in the state capitol building. The legislature made an administrative rule requiring metal detectors to screen visitors for weapons, exempting CHLs, after a nut-job took a couple of pot-shots at the outside of the building.

The protestors were denied entrance simply because the DPS troopers said so, without any law backing them.

Meanwhile, about 200 rallied and paraded around downtown Tyler bearing long guns.

With all due respect, no one should consider the lawful carrying of a handgun, or rifle, as being that of "stupidity". CHL holders have allowed themselves to give up their privacy and freedom for a stupid piece of paper that says that they somehow have "more rights" than another citizen who has not.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post

long gun open carry discussion is permissible on this forum where it is the only legal means of open carry in a particular state. so that would make this ON topic. rifle open carry IS legal in TX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=J4MPGjMVYMM

pretty sad that texas requires a permission slip to carry a gun into the capitol bldg. in michigan we can open carry rifles or pistols into our capitol without having to show so much as a piece of mail with our names on it. no license required.

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Wow. There are several people in this thread who must not know rush at all. That, or they're completely unwilling to give a guy who has a years-long track record of pro-liberty, pro-2a, pro-OC posting on this forum the benefit of the doubt.

Dear Everyone Who Just Bagged On Rush,
    You're completely off-target. Learn to aim your vitriol better.
    Love and kisses,
    ()pen "Just Left Teksis" (arry
    that post just ended his pro 2A track-record and put him solidly into Fudd territory

DOCWALKER, that was funny, i don't care who you are

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post

KYG. i am well aware of the carry laws in TX. you might find this story interesting

yhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah3a7dQqyZI
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.