• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry event in Houston Texas could use some Thumbs Up on Yahoo.

HK_dave

you say you need a thumbs up on Yahoo and yet you post a like to a Youtube video (which is pretty worthless as far as informing about the event goes) in which "ratings have been disabled for this video"?

davidmcbeth

Banned
you say you need a thumbs up on Yahoo and yet you post a like to a Youtube video (which is pretty worthless as far as informing about the event goes) in which "ratings have been disabled for this video"?

Wa-wa-waaaaa. Likes/dislikes are disabled like HK_dave noted

DWCook

Activist Member
I'm 100% for open carry, but who honestly would need to open carry a decked out AR-15 or such. Not trying to boil the water here, but that's a bit over kill for exercising your right for open carry. Honestly I would see that as a "Hey look at me" kind of deal. Were trying to get people comfortable with open carry, not make them think were preparing for a zombie attack.

HPmatt

I don't think this clip is worth a thumbs-up - it is a waste of time - if they guys had been talking about gun rights, the rights of armed citizens to defend themselves from criminals, etc - it would be much better than some guys - and 1 girl - standing around with their weapons looking at each other, having some photographers snap photos of them standing around.

The other Utube videos of the houstonians shooting 3 robbers, a store clerk (who was violently robbed last year) getting punched and then shooting the perp - were much more effective in showing folks the benefits of OC or CC to their liberty.

()pen(arry

I'm 100% for open carry, but who honestly would need to open carry a decked out AR-15 or such. Not trying to boil the water here, but that's a bit over kill for exercising your right for open carry. Honestly I would see that as a "Hey look at me" kind of deal. Were trying to get people comfortable with open carry, not make them think were preparing for a zombie attack.

Rights are not concerned with excuse, justification, or demonstration of need. Rights are concerned with the assurance of self-determination. Until you stop thinking of rights as privileges we ought to have, and understand them as liberties which inhere in our very existence and which can only be restricted, not granted, you'll be vulnerable to the assaults of reasonable-seeming arguments which would deny you life and liberty. "Because it's up to me, not you" is the purest, unassailable answer to "Why?"

Now, with regard to normalizing the possession and bearing of firearms in modern society, there are certainly behaviors that don't seem particularly strategic. However, it is critical that we don't resent those who engage in them, or we do not respect their rights, rather our hearts seek to deny them liberty.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions which ban handgun carry but not long gun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

Further clarification per John Pierce:
If long gun open carry is legal in Texas then the rule does not apply. I just changed the rule to remove the reference to California since they have now banned the open carry of long guns as well but we DO allow for the discussion of long gun open carry in those jurisdictions where handgun open carry is not allowed and long gun carry IS allowed.
See post #21 http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ier-wrongfully-arrested&p=1938368#post1938368

Thread unlocked and moved back to the Texas sub-forum.

Last edited: