• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi I will be geting a handgun on my 18th birthday any advice ?

Demetrius Will

Hi Every one Im DJ Im 17 years old and currently live in GA my birthday is on the 22nd and Im thinking about buying me a handgun.I found out that in GA I am able to buy a handgun from a privet party and a privet party only I know I can't buy a handgun from a FFL dealer or and handgun ammo from them ether.I wanted to know if anyone had any advice when it comes to dealing with privet party's and will I will be able to transport the handgun to and from the gun range I will post the law down below.I have been having a hard time trying to explain to people that a 18 year old can own and buy a handgun I had people call me all diffrent types of things but the only think I want to do is youse it for the gun range and how defense.A lot of people will say why don't you just get a rifle of a shotgun and my answer is I simply don't want a rifle or a shotgun I have my heart set on a handgun.Also does anyone know how I will be able to get ammo for my gun I was thinking about buying that from a privet party too. http://www.justice.gov/archive/opd/AppendixC.htm

Bigpapa

I would also look into get a CHL in your state just to be legal, you want be able to carry it loaded and not conceal. I would see if you can get to be legal, just too much can go wrong you have to learn the laws in your state. Training will also be a good ideal, I don't your knowledge on hand gun but it will be a good ideal to learn all you can about safety.

WalkingWolf

OK here is how to handle this with the least hassle on both the handgun and ammo. Go to Cabella's website once you turn 18. Go to black powder firearms look for a 1858 Remington 5.5 inch barrel. You can buy the handgun, a spare cylinder, 45 round ball ammo, all from Cabella's online. Should not be over $400. You can then buy caps and black powder at Walmart or your local gun store at age 18. The 45 black powder revolver is a respectable self defense weapon that is fun to shoot.

I carried a 1849 colt pocket pistol from my early years as a teenager and even now I stick that old gun in my back pocket out of memories. I often carry a cap and ball revolver for self defense, especially if I am in a GFSZ. If you still want a cartridge gun the conversion parts can be bought for the 1858 online, no age restrictions.

This gun will serve you well until you turn 21, and then some.

tomrkba

I would contact the local chapter of your state rifle and pistol association. They should be current on Georgia laws and the procedures for you to acquire a handgun.

09jisaac

My advise to ANY 18 year old NEW owner of a firearm---- DON'T VIOLATE THE LAW! and Stand for ALL your Constitutionally PROTECTED GOD GIVEN RIGHTS!

Is this not your advice to ALL people? Regardless of age or whether they own a firearm or not?

09jisaac

Hi Every one Im DJ Im 17 years old and currently live in GA my birthday is on the 22nd and Im thinking about buying me a handgun.I found out that in GA I am able to buy a handgun from a privet party and a privet party only I know I can't buy a handgun from a FFL dealer or and handgun ammo from them ether.I wanted to know if anyone had any advice when it comes to dealing with privet party's and will I will be able to transport the handgun to and from the gun range I will post the law down below.I have been having a hard time trying to explain to people that a 18 year old can own and buy a handgun I had people call me all diffrent types of things but the only think I want to do is youse it for the gun range and how defense.A lot of people will say why don't you just get a rifle of a shotgun and my answer is I simply don't want a rifle or a shotgun I have my heart set on a handgun.Also does anyone know how I will be able to get ammo for my gun I was thinking about buying that from a privet party too. http://www.justice.gov/archive/opd/AppendixC.htm

These posts are all that we know about you. You don't want to be known as an illiterate Georgian. If this is the best you have then do not let it get in the way of knowledge, but if you can do better (spellcheck?) please do.

Lasjayhawk

I'm lost. Your going to be 18 on the 22nd, and your already 18 in 3 other posts??

Your asking about 410 and 22LR and talking about buying a hi-point handgun.

Are you sure your not 17 now and asking about buying a 410/22LR over under, aka a squirrel gun?

If your straight with people here they will try their best to be helpful, even if it's not quite on point. If you are not straight with the folks here, grapeshot may put you in a burlap bag and shoot you out of a cannon! :eek:

Fallschirjmäger

You seem to have done your research on the Federal restrictions. You may purchase from a private individual in Georgia so long as you are 18 and have no other legal problems (domestic violence, drug convictions, etc.) After age 18, OCGA 16-11-101.1 will not apply and you can transport (unloaded and encased; 16-11-126 (c)) to and from events where you will use the pistol.
At any age, be aware of the places that are illegal to carry, with or without a license - OCGA 16-11-127.

You can access all the Georgia laws on weapons and guns at Georgia Packing

Last edited:

Motofixxer

Please do take this in a constructive way. Spelling an punctuation are important. In this day with the technology available to us. There should be no misspelled words. Proofreading is a very useful tool.

Ok on to the more informative. I would recommend you go to http://tinyurl.com\OpenCarry-WI and review the info there. There are tons of links and videos. The state specific info is obviously not relevant to you but much of the other info is. So my advice study up, because knowledge is power and you just might learn something.

MKEgal

09jisaac said:
These posts are all that we know about you.
You don't want to be known as an illiterate Georgian.
But s/he is doing a fine job of coming across as a barely literate low-class possibly criminal-in-training trying to get information. I think that's exactly the character the troll wants to project.

Lasjayhawk said:
You're going to be 18 on the 22nd, and your already 18 in 3 other posts??
You're asking about 410 and 22LR and talking about buying a hi-point handgun.
Are you sure you're not 17 now and asking about buying a 410/22LR over under, aka a squirrel gun?
If you're straight with people here they will try their best to be helpful, even if it's not quite on point.
Look at all 6 posts s/he made, how they're all on the same day, on sort-of related topics.
With the stereotypically poor use of English, I'm guessing this is a LE troll trying to stir up trouble, find people who don't stick to the law, people worth investigating further.

davidmcbeth

Banned
But s/he is doing a fine job of coming across as a barely literate low-class possibly criminal-in-training trying to get information. I think that's exactly the character the troll wants to project.

Look at all 6 posts s/he made, how they're all on the same day, on sort-of related topics.
With the stereotypically poor use of English, I'm guessing this is a LE troll trying to stir up trouble, find people who don't stick to the law, people worth investigating further.

Likely just the product of the public school system of today. I'm surprised he can write anything that could be understood. Ah, we old folks don't know squat ... I know.

Anyway .. 500 S&W ... too expensive? Well, you'll be buying used ... I'm sure folks sell them once they shoot them .. a heck of a kick with these, not for everyone. Some people at the range who have bought them are afraid to shoot them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm lost. Your going to be 18 on the 22nd, and your already 18 in 3 other posts??

Your asking about 410 and 22LR and talking about buying a hi-point handgun.

Are you sure your not 17 now and asking about buying a 410/22LR over under, aka a squirrel gun?

If your straight with people here they will try their best to be helpful, even if it's not quite on point. If you are not straight with the folks here, grapeshot may put you in a burlap bag and shoot you out of a cannon! :eek:

Not ready to do that (yet), but there are serious inconsistances in his posts which would cause some to see him as less than forthcoming.