• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wally world teams up with maig

DON`T TREAD ON ME

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I have made up my mind...I'm not shopping at Walmart. Yes they are open carry friendly-for now. With enough pressure from the groups like MAIG, they'll cave.

The way to make this prediction come true is for gun owners to stop shopping at Walmart. Every one of us who OCs there is a silent demonstration that we are here, we are their customers, and that we use our civil rights.

Contrast that to a letter that they get from a group with a handful of members, most of whom are already boycotting Walmart because they're non-union.

Who do you think has more power?

All I'm saying is if you want to shop at Wal-mart fine, shop there but at least let them know that you aren't happy with the new policy and that you'll be looking at other places to buy some of your necessities. If enough gun owners called/emailed them they would drop the new policy but your money speaks alot louder than your mouth.

This "new" policy has been in place for half a decade. So far, I haven't heard anyone even mention it until now.

If there is actually some EFFECT of this policy, then it's worth complaining to the management, but until then, all I see is that Wally World gave the hoplophobes a little lip service to get them to shut up and go away.

WalkingWolf

If everybody stops buying guns and ammo at Walmart, sooner or later Walmart will stop selling guns and ammo. Duhhhhhhhhh:lol:

KMart never did stock the amount of guns and ammo that Walmart does. KMart years ago used to sell handguns, but most people back then got their guns from the LGS or the hardware store, or Sears. Guns and ammo is about 15% profit margin. Grocery items are about 15% profit margin, electronics and clothing are over 100% profit margin. Do the math.

Guns, ammo, and groceries are there to get people into the store to buy high profit margin items. Walmart figured this out a long time ago, KMart tried the same strategy and failed. Walmart just did it better and cheaper than KMart. KMart was struggling, so the logical thing to do is eliminate items that are of low margin to use shelf space for higher profit margin items. At the cost of losing some business, Walmart was happy to take that small amount of business from them. Also keep in mind that department stores are paid for sku space by most vendors, not sure about gun manufacturers. Coke and Pepsi pump millions of dollars just in paying for space.

I highly doubt Walmart will stop selling guns and ammo, or groceries.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Circuit City went hooves-up because all they carried were electronics -- the high profit margin only works when you get people into the store.

Over the 20 years that I've been going to Walmart, I've seen the tool and auto-parts selections shrink, but they've INCREASED the gun stuff, so either they're using it as bait to get you in the doors, or they're making enough money to make it worthwhile -- and thus are unlikely to get rid of it, as long as people keep buying.

WalkingWolf

Circuit City went hooves-up because all they carried were electronics -- the high profit margin only works when you get people into the store.

Over the 20 years that I've been going to Walmart, I've seen the tool and auto-parts selections shrink, but they've INCREASED the gun stuff, so either they're using it as bait to get you in the doors, or they're making enough money to make it worthwhile -- and thus are unlikely to get rid of it, as long as people keep buying.

Walmart tried to hire me as a manager for the grocery part of the business about 15 years ago. I asked them why the addition of grocery, knowing full well how many food chains have crumpled. They want the foot traffic in the store, sections in Wally World have become smaller and electronics has exploded in the stores. They no longer have fabrics, and many things the smaller stores used to carry. I would imagine that every item is gone over with some type of app and the market whizzes to decide what goes and stays.

Guns to not even have to sell to achieve their goal, just the looky loos are enough to make it worth while. They will pass on the AR to buy a sexy nighty for the Mrs. Or some new jeans, or a new flat screen tv. Guns are one of those items that attract customers without ever leaving the store. Young teens and children will go to the counter to just stare at the shiny toys, they are future customers.

When I worked for coca cola industries in sales we would pass out free drinks every where we went. I never was without a full iced cooler of products. The idea was simple, indoctrinate the public, especially the young. We bought score boards for schools, provided free drinks for concessions for sporting events. I later worked for Snapple and Gatorade doing the same thing, giving away freebees to entice product loyalty.

Big Daddy XD

I guess the real question is: Do you want convenience or your rights? My guess is that it will only be a matter of time before Walmart cowtows to the political pressure and stops selling guns and ammunition. K-mart did. Even Dick's stopped selling automatic rifles.

Stephanie in NV

Dick's sold automatic rifles? I was not aware they were a class 3 dealer...........

chrsjhnsn

I hear ya big guy, you've got very convincing points BUT I'm super rural - shopping is always an all day 300 mile round trip - wally world is simply to convenient to ignore.
Its the closest cheap place for things I need, the closest place for nearly anything I need.

What I can do is write to wallyworld and tell them I despise blameberg and maig and threaten to shop elsewhere

OldCurlyWolf

Walmart tried to hire me as a manager for the grocery part of the business about 15 years ago. I asked them why the addition of grocery, knowing full well how many food chains have crumpled. They want the foot traffic in the store, sections in Wally World have become smaller and electronics has exploded in the stores. They no longer have fabrics, and many things the smaller stores used to carry. I would imagine that every item is gone over with some type of app and the market whizzes to decide what goes and stays.

Guns to not even have to sell to achieve their goal, just the looky loos are enough to make it worth while. They will pass on the AR to buy a sexy nighty for the Mrs. Or some new jeans, or a new flat screen tv. Guns are one of those items that attract customers without ever leaving the store. Young teens and children will go to the counter to just stare at the shiny toys, they are future customers.

When I worked for coca cola industries in sales we would pass out free drinks every where we went. I never was without a full iced cooler of products. The idea was simple, indoctrinate the public, especially the young. We bought score boards for schools, provided free drinks for concessions for sporting events. I later worked for Snapple and Gatorade doing the same thing, giving away freebees to entice product loyalty.

It also helps if you have a good product. I happen to like Coke, Snapple and Gatorade.:cool: