• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws on the Albemarle sound

NikRyJ

I've been extensively researching the firearm laws pertaining to the Albemarle sound. However, I can't find anything directly relating to what I'm trying to find out. I'm taking a trip to NC, a house on the sound. (Not sure which county, will update when I find out) I plan on taking my firearms with me, a handgun and two rifles. I was able to find laws regarding open carry on land, and on the water. They are both legal. What I was NOT able to find, are the laws on the discharge of the firearms. Several scenarios here.

1. What are the restrictions on me going out to the dock and firing off of it into the water? (Private dock, however there are other houses in our little neighborhood. They are also on the sound, evenly lined up with mine.) ie, i would be shooting into open water.

2. I've seen the laws regarding carry of firearms when on a boat, for "inland waters" the gun has to be unloaded. However, if we take the boat out into the "coastal, or joint" waters, what are the laws regarding discharge? (Keep in mind I understand that bullets can skip, we would be firing into open water. Ie, the old bombing range)

3. What about shooting off of the boat into uninhibited land that is not posted as private property?

I'm trying to take necessary precautions to avoid all illegal activities.

paramedic70002

I can't speak to the law, however:

1. Decorum dictates that you do not disturb your neighbors. Especially if it's not YOUR residence. Perhaps said neighbors could be sought out for permission and advice.

2. Must be unloaded? Sounds silly.

3. I would never fire into any area that I could not verify was unoccupied beyond "Looks OK from here."

NikRyJ

The ncwildlife website. Anything marked as inland fishing, they need to be unloaded. We decided not to shoot, waiting until we get back to Virginia. Thanks though. Btw, Walmart outside of Elizabeth city gave me some very disturbed looks when I was OCing, just a heads up.