Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if someone breaks into my house and I kill they what's next?

What if someone breaks into my house and I kill they what's next?

I live in GA what if someone breaks into my house and I kill them what happens next

It's probably a good ideal to check the laws in your State, most States have the Castle Doctrine Law and go from there. If you State have that you are 90% justified in doing so, to protect you and your family, once they investigate the situation and if it in your favor all charges will be drop. Check the laws in your State.

if you plan on using that .22 you had better be a good shot.

This question brings to mind a little joke.

A gentleman called the police after killing an intruder that broke into the gentleman"s home.

When the police arrived, they examined the intruders body.

Officer to Homeowner- Why did you shot the intruder 16 times.

Homeowner to Officer- My weapon only holds 16 rounds.

LOL

If someone breaks into your home, they are fair game for a killing.

You'll probably have to eat out a couple nights after the shooting.

CCJ

Call 911 and tell them someone broke into your house and you had to defend your life. But Like said above check your state's laws, If you know you're in a high crime area or close to one you should get a home security system. Get a shot gun with a less than lethal round in the chamber as the first shot. Killing someone in your home or anywhere is taken as a crime scene, you will likely have to goto a hotel for a few days. Plus you will be question by the detectives as the dead guy can't give his side of the story. Shooting someone 16 times the courts will look at you intentionally tried to kill the intruder.

Jimmy
    Last edited by Jimmy12; 07-08-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius Will View Post
    I live in GA what if someone breaks into my house and I kill them what happens next
    Your life will forever change. Deadly force is a last resort. You will likely need an attorney - there is no do over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy12 View Post
    Call 911 and tell them someone broke into your house and you had to defend your life. But Like said above check your state's laws, If you know you're in a high crime area or close to one you should get a home security system. Get a shot gun with a less than lethal round in the chamber as the first shot. Killing someone in your home or anywhere is taken as a crime scene, you will likely have to goto a hotel for a few days. Plus you will be question by the detectives as the dead guy can't give his side of the story. Shooting someone 16 times the courts will look at you intentionally tried to kill the intruder.

Jimmy
    There is no shotgun round that is "less than lethal" - there are some that are "less lethal." All can kill.

Not for me though - if I were to need to shoot to stop someone - the very best "stop method" will likely cause their demise.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

You should be watching the Zimmerman case in Florida as this far has proven that just the letter of law may still get you convicted, no matter how right you proclaim to be.
    Never look for how can I use my firearm but know it to be necessary, reasonable and in imminent threat of life or limb, still that may not be enough.
    If you use your firearm in self-defense you are are going all in and you had better be holding a good hand.
    In some states as Washington State they say if their in your home uninvited the are free game, don't bet on it, you will no doubt need to show they were a threat.
    Last edited by BigDave; 07-12-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Op

Read up on Castle Doctrine.

Best regards

CCJ

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius Will View Post
    What happens next is that your life will forever change. Even if you have done everything right, your savings, future earnings, and very freedom may be at risk.

Lethal force ought be the very last consideration - you can't call back the bullet once you have pulled the trigger.

There are full seminars on this subject, so don't look for a simple one-size-fits-all answer.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    Op
    Read up on Castle Doctrine.
    Best regards
    CCJ
    Oh I am read up on Castle Doctrine and to suggest that one is free game is far from the truth when there needs to be an element of an imminent threat of life or limb.
    The free game analogy is one the anti's love to put on Gun Nuts
    Remember the use of force must be necessary, reasonable with an imminent threat of life or limb.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    What happens next is that your life will forever change. Even if you have done everything right, your savings, future earnings, and very freedom may be at risk.

Lethal force ought be the very last consideration - you can't call back the bullet once you have pulled the trigger.

There are full seminars on this subject, so don't look for a simple one-size-fits-all answer.
    What he said!
    Last edited by BigDave; 07-12-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

I will take my chances with a jury. (Criminal and Civil) As opposed to taking a chance that some criminal is going to break into my home and possibly LET ME LIVE.
    If your not going to use that pistol to defend your family and yourself from an intruder then by golly get rid of the pistol.

To quote another poster. Moving ON

CCJ

I will take my chances with a jury. (Criminal and Civil) As opposed to taking a chance that some criminal is going to break into my home and possibly LET ME LIVE.
    If your not going to use that pistol to defend your family and yourself from an intruder then by golly get rid of the pistol.

CCJ
    Never said don't use deadly force.........just be aware of the potential consequences.

Paraphrasing a very fine attorney, "It is easier to defend someone who is not guilty."

CCJ
    Clearly you are having comprehension issues with what I wrote, if there is an imminent threat of life or limb be it me or another with me I would use necessary and reasonable force to stop the imminent threat, if their is no imminent threat or unlawful force then there is no need for force to be used.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy12 View Post
    <snip> Shooting someone 16 times the courts will look at you intentionally tried to kill the intruder.

Jimmy
    Well, if I shot at him once, I think that any court would look at me and think I tried to kill the intruder.

Another important note, though it should not be a consideration if SD is required, a dead body in your house, that got dead by gunshot, is something that must be disclosed when/if you put your house up for sale. Of course, in your state there may not be a requirement to disclose that.

Homework time

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf
    Search Title 16 Criminal Code of Georgia. Chapter 16. Start at 16-3-20.
    http://georgiapacking.org/law.php

That will get you started. This forum or the one at GA Packing will answer other questions.

Re: What if someone breaks into my house and I kill they what's next?

Check out uscca.org

They have a nice insurance package that I happen to have. Don't let the name fool you, they are more about self defense than concealed carry.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians." - George Mason

Backhoe? OK just kidding
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Cool

OP, the likelihood of these three things happening at the same time are pretty low:

A. your house being broken into
    B. you being home at the time
    C. The likelihood you are armed (actually the only factor you can control)

however, to me, carrying a firearm is like carrying a spare time.... hope i never have to use it but it is prudent to have. Like many others have said, right/wrong, justified or not, doesnt matter. Your life will definitely change for the worse. Im sure it is a mental burden you would carry too. I know i would. The only consolation is that, it could have been worse had you not been able to defend yourself or family.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Backhoe? OK just kidding
    Don't kid or your post will be deleted !

1. If possible have someone else call 911 (if no one else available call yourself) let them know your address and that someone has been shot and to send help! Hang up! (Every thing you say can and will be used against you (not for you) in court, and its being recorded)
    2. Make sure your weapon is reholstered before the police get there.(duh) the cops will be taking it from you. Take note on how many shots were fired, where from. Where to. So you can inform your lawyer.
    3. Call your lawyer. Keep your mouth shut, untill your lawyer is present.
    4 request to be taken to the hospital for your injuries/ sickness. Get away from the scene and away from the situation.

That is the best advise i was given imho.

Banned
    blame the wife?

blame the dog? (train your dog to shoot ! perfect defense)

shut the hell up is the best advice ... I would not want to call 911 ...

just put his body out on a lawn chair with a sign "I was a burglar..I am now a reformed one"?

Break out the Rug Doctor.

Then you shoot and kill the intruder. The same goes for car thieves. Make sure you say that you feared for your life and do not shoot them in the back, only prison guards can legally backshoot a person. Besides your personal emotions and feelings it's a straightforward occurrence and the law is on your side.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunluvr View Post
    Then you shoot and kill the intruder. The same goes for car thieves. Make sure you say that you feared for your life and do not shoot them in the back, only prison guards can legally backshoot a person. Besides your personal emotions and feelings it's a straightforward occurrence and the law is on your side.
    Please provide some citations supporting any of the contentions above. I ask because I have a very hard time believing any of them accurately reflect the current state of what is legally defensable.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Gunluvr View Post
    This type of statement clearly promotes misinformation to so many who do not seek to understand the laws.
    ie the attitude of;

"You Can Do This! Just Say I Was In Fear For Your Life"

is a crock of B.S. and if you buy into this line of thinking you are not doing yourself, family or anyone else any favors by taking such an ignorant position.

Use of force is for self defense and not a reason to use force.

Note I used the wording Use Of Force as there are many levels concerning
    Use of Force Being Necessary and Reasonable as viewed by a Reasonable Man knowing what you knew at the time and would have acted as you did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast