• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What if someone breaks into my house and I kill they what's next?

Bigpapa

It's probably a good ideal to check the laws in your State, most States have the Castle Doctrine Law and go from there. If you State have that you are 90% justified in doing so, to protect you and your family, once they investigate the situation and if it in your favor all charges will be drop. Check the laws in your State.

countryclubjoe

This question brings to mind a little joke.

A gentleman called the police after killing an intruder that broke into the gentleman"s home.

When the police arrived, they examined the intruders body.

Officer to Homeowner- Why did you shot the intruder 16 times.

Homeowner to Officer- My weapon only holds 16 rounds.

LOL

If someone breaks into your home, they are fair game for a killing.

You'll probably have to eat out a couple nights after the shooting.

CCJ

Jimmy12

Call 911 and tell them someone broke into your house and you had to defend your life. But Like said above check your state's laws, If you know you're in a high crime area or close to one you should get a home security system. Get a shot gun with a less than lethal round in the chamber as the first shot. Killing someone in your home or anywhere is taken as a crime scene, you will likely have to goto a hotel for a few days. Plus you will be question by the detectives as the dead guy can't give his side of the story. Shooting someone 16 times the courts will look at you intentionally tried to kill the intruder.

Jimmy

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I live in GA what if someone breaks into my house and I kill them what happens next
Your life will forever change. Deadly force is a last resort. You will likely need an attorney - there is no do over.

Call 911 and tell them someone broke into your house and you had to defend your life. But Like said above check your state's laws, If you know you're in a high crime area or close to one you should get a home security system. Get a shot gun with a less than lethal round in the chamber as the first shot. Killing someone in your home or anywhere is taken as a crime scene, you will likely have to goto a hotel for a few days. Plus you will be question by the detectives as the dead guy can't give his side of the story. Shooting someone 16 times the courts will look at you intentionally tried to kill the intruder.

Jimmy

There is no shotgun round that is "less than lethal" - there are some that are "less lethal." All can kill.

Not for me though - if I were to need to shoot to stop someone - the very best "stop method" will likely cause their demise.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
You should be watching the Zimmerman case in Florida as this far has proven that just the letter of law may still get you convicted, no matter how right you proclaim to be.
Never look for how can I use my firearm but know it to be necessary, reasonable and in imminent threat of life or limb, still that may not be enough.
If you use your firearm in self-defense you are are going all in and you had better be holding a good hand.
In some states as Washington State they say if their in your home uninvited the are free game, don't bet on it, you will no doubt need to show they were a threat.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I live in GA what if someone breaks into my house and I kill them what happens next

What happens next is that your life will forever change. Even if you have done everything right, your savings, future earnings, and very freedom may be at risk.

Lethal force ought be the very last consideration - you can't call back the bullet once you have pulled the trigger.

There are full seminars on this subject, so don't look for a simple one-size-fits-all answer.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Op
Read up on Castle Doctrine.
Best regards
CCJ

Oh I am read up on Castle Doctrine and to suggest that one is free game is far from the truth when there needs to be an element of an imminent threat of life or limb.
The free game analogy is one the anti's love to put on Gun Nuts :lol:
Remember the use of force must be necessary, reasonable with an imminent threat of life or limb.

What happens next is that your life will forever change. Even if you have done everything right, your savings, future earnings, and very freedom may be at risk.

Lethal force ought be the very last consideration - you can't call back the bullet once you have pulled the trigger.

There are full seminars on this subject, so don't look for a simple one-size-fits-all answer.

What he said!

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

I will take my chances with a jury. (Criminal and Civil) As opposed to taking a chance that some criminal is going to break into my home and possibly LET ME LIVE.
If your not going to use that pistol to defend your family and yourself from an intruder then by golly get rid of the pistol.

To quote another poster. Moving ON

CCJ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I will take my chances with a jury. (Criminal and Civil) As opposed to taking a chance that some criminal is going to break into my home and possibly LET ME LIVE.
If your not going to use that pistol to defend your family and yourself from an intruder then by golly get rid of the pistol.

CCJ

Never said don't use deadly force.........just be aware of the potential consequences.

Paraphrasing a very fine attorney, "It is easier to defend someone who is not guilty."

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

CCJ

Clearly you are having comprehension issues with what I wrote, if there is an imminent threat of life or limb be it me or another with me I would use necessary and reasonable force to stop the imminent threat, if their is no imminent threat or unlawful force then there is no need for force to be used.

OC for ME

<snip> Shooting someone 16 times the courts will look at you intentionally tried to kill the intruder.

Jimmy
Well, if I shot at him once, I think that any court would look at me and think I tried to kill the intruder.

Another important note, though it should not be a consideration if SD is required, a dead body in your house, that got dead by gunshot, is something that must be disclosed when/if you put your house up for sale. Of course, in your state there may not be a requirement to disclose that.

Mantioch

Check out uscca.org

They have a nice insurance package that I happen to have. Don't let the name fool you, they are more about self defense than concealed carry.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Kopis

OP, the likelihood of these three things happening at the same time are pretty low:

A. your house being broken into
B. you being home at the time
C. The likelihood you are armed (actually the only factor you can control)

however, to me, carrying a firearm is like carrying a spare time.... hope i never have to use it but it is prudent to have. Like many others have said, right/wrong, justified or not, doesnt matter. Your life will definitely change for the worse. Im sure it is a mental burden you would carry too. I know i would. The only consolation is that, it could have been worse had you not been able to defend yourself or family.

copper top

1. If possible have someone else call 911 (if no one else available call yourself) let them know your address and that someone has been shot and to send help! Hang up! (Every thing you say can and will be used against you (not for you) in court, and its being recorded)
2. Make sure your weapon is reholstered before the police get there.(duh) the cops will be taking it from you. Take note on how many shots were fired, where from. Where to. So you can inform your lawyer.
3. Call your lawyer. Keep your mouth shut, untill your lawyer is present.
4 request to be taken to the hospital for your injuries/ sickness. Get away from the scene and away from the situation.

That is the best advise i was given imho.