Thread: Can a 18 year old buy 22lr ammo online or at Walmart

Can a 18 year old buy 22lr ammo online or at Walmart

If so online what website?

probably not. way too many revolvers and semi-auto pistols out there.

also see:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...shotgun-shells
    Last edited by hafnhaf; 07-06-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Centurion
    IF the 18 yo is purchasing for a RIFLE then there is NOT FEDERAL Law against it. IF the .22LR rounds are being purchased for a handgun then there IS a Federal Law against it.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Yes. Most websites though do require you to be 21 to buy ammunition.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Banned
    One way to find out OP ... a trip to Walmart ...

Moderator / Administrator
    Go to the counter and ask to buy ".22 caliber rifle ammo."

It's been a while since I bought 22LR at Walmart(not for lack of trying) but the last time I did I seem to remember being asked "Rifle or Handgun."

By law(as alluded to above) if you answer "rifle" they can sell it to you. If you answer "handgun" they can not.

Hell of a thing to have to lie to excersize a constitutional right!!!
    When I turned 18 and I started paying income tax to the feds/state, well.....let's just say I wasn't about to be discriminated against, because of my age.....PERIOD!

.22LR ammo won't work in a .22LR pistola, everybody knows that. Ya gotta use .22 Shorts cuz a pistola is short-er than a long rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    .22LR ammo won't work in a .22LR pistola, everybody knows that. Ya gotta use .22 Shorts cuz a pistola is short-er than a long rifle.
    No necessarily true. Some handguns may use shorts, but my 11 shot .22 revolver handgun uses 22lr in addition to 22Shorts. I have seen 22LR semiautomatic handguns. The law says that if the retailer thinks that you are buying them for a handgun, then they can not sell them to you if you are under 21.

Considering how things have been at the Walmarts around here lately, I think that the answer to the question asked is "no" regardless of the age of the person buying.

Hopefully that will change soon

Banned
    OP has not posted back so I assume he has not gone to Walmart to buy .... oh well...end of thread I guess

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    OP has not posted back so I assume he has not gone to Walmart to buy .... oh well...end of thread I guess
    or maybe he did. maybe he was able to purchase the ammo. and maybe he brought it home, opened up the box of ammo, and a bullet went off and "kilt him dead"? clearly ammo is dangerous, and cannot be purchased by 18 year olds. these same 18 year olds who vote, serve in the military, buy tobaccy products, etc.

(this is sarcasm, btw)

Quote Originally Posted by NMOCr View Post
    No necessarily true. Some handguns may use shorts, but my 11 shot .22 revolver handgun uses 22lr in addition to 22Shorts. I have seen 22LR semiautomatic handguns. The law says that if the retailer thinks that you are buying them for a handgun, then they can not sell them to you if you are under 21.
    I don't think you got the joke.

.22 shorts, .22 longs and .22 long rifles (longest) are very similar rounds, differing mainly in length and power.

If a firearm would fire the longer rounds then it will fire, even if it won't cycle, the shorter rounds.

Since .22 LR is the most popular most rifles and handguns are chambered for this round.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

I remember reading posts by various upset young adults (of the over-18 but under-21 variety) that WallyWorld will not sell ammo to adults under 21, even though they're buying it for a rifle, can tell them what rifle they're buying for, and it's legal.

OP would probably have the most success going to a local sporting store or firearms store. If going to a store with a range, take the rifle(s) with you.

As for online:
    ammoman requires proof of age, or will send it "adult signature required". Sounds promising for young adults.
    http://ammoman.com/proof-of-age

ammunitiontogo says nothing about proof of age
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/conditions.php

bulkammo says nothing about proof of age
    http://www.bulkammo.com/frequently-asked-questions

luckygunner says nothing about age
    http://www.luckygunner.com/frequently-asked-questions

midwayusa says nothing about age
    http://www.midwayusa.com/category/ammunition

sgammo specifically says they sell rifle ammo to 18+yo
    http://www.sgammo.com/conditions-use
    Last edited by MKEgal; 07-10-2013 at 01:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth
    OP has not posted back so I assume he has not gone to Walmart to buy... oh well... end of thread I guess
    In looking at all 6 posts by that account (same day, same general tone), I've concluded that s/he is a LE troll trying to catch people advocating illegal acts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    In looking at all 6 posts by that account (same day, same general tone), I've concluded that s/he is a LE troll trying to catch people advocating illegal acts.
    Well, I advocate illegal acts all the time .. look, I just removed that sticker from my mattress ...

The moderators should track the IP address and see...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Well, I advocate illegal acts all the time .. look, I just removed that sticker from my mattress ...

The moderators should track the IP address and see...
    Sorry to burst your Jesse James bubble, but what you copped to is not a crime.

Or were you aware of Title 15 - Commerce and Trade, Chapter 2, Subchapter V - Textile Fiber Products Identification, Section 70c - Removal of stamp, tag, label, or other identification Statute (a) Removal or mutilation after shipment in commerce, which states:

After shipment of a textile fiber product in commerce it shall be unlawful, except as provided in this subchapter, to remove or mutilate, or cause or participate in the removal or mutilation of, prior to the time any textile fiber product is sold and delivered to the ultimate consumer, any stamp, tag, label, or other identification required by this subchapter to be affixed to such textile fiber product, any person violating this section shall be guilty of an unfair method of competition, and an unfair or deceptive act or practice, under the Federal Trade Commission Act.
    There goes your attempt to create a reputation as an evil arch villian.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit